Old July 9th 04, 03:32 PM
Da Shadow

Well I have some products to sell at conventions, meets etc.
First is the cost of getting there with today's gas prices $40 to $60
Second For out of town meets there is hotel rooms, food, etc $170 +
Third the booth cost is way too high can be $300
Fourth Advertising is $35 to $100
Fifth hams are cheap -- one guy offered me half price for a book -- I asked
him which Chapter he wanted (;-)

The last convention I went to -- sold 50 products -- barely broke even
Ain't worth the time and effort
--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows
"LA Runabout" wrote in message
Often heard comments from hams attending a hamfest:

Where are all the dealers? How come there are way less dealers
this year? Why don't dealers come to hamfests anymore?

Old July 9th 04, 05:22 PM
Steve Stone

And if this is a business for you a good businessman would roll up their costs into the
price of their products adjusting for what the market will bear +/- selling based on
demand to get rid of the junk as a loss leader and sell the stuff that moves at a profit.

Haggling has always been part of sales.

Would you walk into a car dealership and pay sticker price ?

I wouldn't get bent out of shape over haggling.

I would get out of the business if it were not profitable.

Seems to be a big market these days for well trained bomb sniffing dogs.

Steve
N2UBP

In article W%xHc.780$TT2.321@fed1read01, says...

Old July 10th 04, 05:18 AM
Dave Heil

Steve Stone wrote:

Haggling has always been part of sales.

Would you walk into a car dealership and pay sticker price ?

Try walking into a Kroger store and saying, "I'll give you $3.50 for
this pork roast and that's my final offer."

I pay sticker for gasoline and electric power too.

Dave K8MN
Old July 10th 04, 01:02 PM
N2EY

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Try walking into a Kroger store and saying, "I'll give you $3.50 for
this pork roast and that's my final offer."

I pay sticker for gasoline and electric power too.

Always wondered why most new consumer goods, from a head of lettuce to the big
ticket items like wide screen TVs, are "price as marked", but a few things like
cars are all about haggling. Except Saturns.

I've had good luck at hamfests by:

- Marking "asking" price on items so people have an idea what I think it's
worth.
- Marking "firm" if the price is not negotiable
- Offering stuff I just want to move as "name your price" or "make offer"

Of course eBay and the 'net have had a big effect on 'fests. We've essentially
got a worldwide 24/7 hamfest going on, either as an auction or outright sale.
Plus you can toss out "wanted to buy" posts. Only downside is you're dealing at
a distance and the whole packing/shipping/payment/insurance headache.

Why folks expect to get eBay prices at a hamfest is beyond me, though. If you
want eBay prices, go to eBay.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 12th 04, 01:53 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Try walking into a Kroger store and saying, "I'll give you $3.50 for
this pork roast and that's my final offer."

I pay sticker for gasoline and electric power too.

Always wondered why most new consumer goods, from a head of lettuce to the big
ticket items like wide screen TVs, are "price as marked", but a few things like
cars are all about haggling. Except Saturns.

I've had good luck at hamfests by:

- Marking "asking" price on items so people have an idea what I think it's
worth.
- Marking "firm" if the price is not negotiable
- Offering stuff I just want to move as "name your price" or "make offer"

That's the way to do it! Somehow I suspect you don't hate the customer
either, eh?

Of course eBay and the 'net have had a big effect on 'fests. We've essentially
got a worldwide 24/7 hamfest going on, either as an auction or outright sale.
Plus you can toss out "wanted to buy" posts. Only downside is you're dealing at
a distance and the whole packing/shipping/payment/insurance headache.

And getting robbed one way or the other.

Why folks expect to get eBay prices at a hamfest is beyond me, though. If you
want eBay prices, go to eBay.

The bloom is fading from that rose anyway. I did a quick perusal of ham
related equipment, and the prices seemed quite similar to what I would
expect to pay at a flea. There will always be the occasional outrageous
selling price, either on the high or low end, but it looks as if sanity
may be coming home in Ebay.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 13th 04, 02:57 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Well Jim, at the hamfests within our local area/state it seems to be a TON
of junk, and not too much in the way of decent stuff from the past 10-15
years which is what I am looking for. It seems more like packrat mentality
types finally trying to get rid of stuff from 20-30 years ago. Do I really
need a damned Commodore 64 computer? I guess one mans junk is another mans
prize..... My impression is that hamfests are the equivalent of a a
yard/garage/rummage sale but for ham radio people. (private sellers, not
dealers that is)

Ryan KC8PMX

Old July 10th 04, 11:45 PM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:44:11 GMT, Steve Stone wrote:

I don't pay sticker for electric. In the empire of NY you can
negoiate a price with your electric vendor of choice. Not that it
saves alot of money for me.

Out here in Greenie-land one has the choice of several "green"
sources, all at a higher price than "mutt" (mixed) power. I can't
even get what I really want -- in the Umpire State can one
negotiate a residential contract for guaranteed-all-nuclear-generated
power?

I suppose that if my consumption was 1000 MW (one standard
generating unit) I could negotiate same...assuming that they had a
spare unit sitting around offline or they could get the permits and
insurance to build another one (fat chance of that).

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Why don't I ever hear these complaints about other hams? Jason Hsu Policy 77 September 22nd 03 04:35 AM
Amateur Radio "outside the box" Vshah101 Policy 11 July 30th 03 01:52 PM