Old July 13th 04, 02:41 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

My gripe is why the hell do they have to be soooo early on the weekend? The
weekend is my time to relax and sleep in a little bit compared to my
workweek of which I normally have to be up at about 5:30am. If they were to
start at say 10am instead of 7am or 8am like I see most of them start I
might actually go to more of the hamfests....... (since I have to drive at
least 1-3 hours to get to most of them.)

The other gripe is, personal hygiene....... is it really a huge inconvience
for someone to grab a quick shower and toss on a little bit of
antipersperant/deodorant???

Ryan KC8PMX

"Steve Stone" wrote in message
et...

So what you are saying is that hams attending hamfests should buy damaged

radios at list
price ?

Everyone likes a bargain. Everyone likes to make a profit.

Somewhere in between there is a middle ground.

Steve
N2UBP

In article , says...
Often heard comments from hams attending a hamfest:

Where are all the dealers? How come there are way less dealers
this year? Why don't dealers come to hamfests anymore?

Often heard comments from hams at a hamfest when speaking
to a dealer at a hamfest:

Hey, how come youze guys dont have special hamfest prices?
Your prices are way too high.
Will you take a $100 less for this rig, since we're at a hamfest?
When are youze guys going to bring rigs to hamfests that people

Old July 13th 04, 02:42 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Hot babes??? Which hamfests are you going to?? LOL Mostly guys at the
ones I have been to.

Ryan KC8PMX

Besides... If we wanted to pay retail, we'd just go mail order.
Hamfests are where one goes to look for a bargain.

Not me!...I go to check out the hot babes!

(gurglegurglechokechoke ! ! ! !)

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old July 13th 04, 02:44 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Hey, I wonder how a hamfest might go if they got a couple dozen REALLY
attractive women to work the hamfest in some capacity or another?? LOL

Ryan KC8PMX

I've actually *seen* some at the last several I've gone to! Real ones,
not the "2:00 am in the bar" babes.... hehe

- Mike KB3EIA -

Were they wearing "I Love Hams" buttons?

I think most of them *were* already spoken for, and with Hams already.
One was definitely a ham, and was dragging her husband around. Now that
seemd like role reversal.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 13th 04, 02:46 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Yeah Mike,

Take the old expression from business school and adapt it: "You can look,
but ya can't touch the merchandise, but who the hell said you cant take
inventory!"

Ryan KC8PMX

You bet! I told my XYL years ago that when I *stop* looking, its time
for her to be worried!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 13th 04, 02:49 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

I think a bigger problem is that some hams have absolutely no concept of
depreciation!!!!

I saw lately a ham trying to sell some PC's that were in the 100-200Mhz
range for over 400 bucks! Saw some others trying to sell some transcievers
for about 30 bucks less than they sold for new, BUT the rigs were AT LEAST
15 years old. I can understand that if there are not alot of those rigs out
there, but when there is a ton of a certain model, then the supply/demand
theory goes out the window and doesn't demand such a high price.......

Ryan KC8PMX

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
KU2S wrote:

Besides... If we wanted to pay retail, we'd just go mail order.
Hamfests are where one goes to look for a bargain.

And that simple fact is lost on so many people.

And sellers... don't forget supply and demand. If you don't sell
anything, you won't make anything, and maybe that's another reason why
some people drop out.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 13th 04, 02:57 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Well Jim, at the hamfests within our local area/state it seems to be a TON
of junk, and not too much in the way of decent stuff from the past 10-15
years which is what I am looking for. It seems more like packrat mentality
types finally trying to get rid of stuff from 20-30 years ago. Do I really
need a damned Commodore 64 computer? I guess one mans junk is another mans
prize..... My impression is that hamfests are the equivalent of a a
yard/garage/rummage sale but for ham radio people. (private sellers, not
dealers that is)

Ryan KC8PMX

Why folks expect to get eBay prices at a hamfest is beyond me, though. If

you
want eBay prices, go to eBay.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 13th 04, 02:59 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Why not create some type of organization legally recognized as some type of
a corporation or whatever might be close to that and get FLEET insurance??

Ryan KC8PMX

Which reminds me - how come we can't buy group auto insurance?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 13th 04, 03:10 PM
Mike Coslo

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
My gripe is why the hell do they have to be soooo early on the weekend? The
weekend is my time to relax and sleep in a little bit compared to my
workweek of which I normally have to be up at about 5:30am. If they were to
start at say 10am instead of 7am or 8am like I see most of them start I
might actually go to more of the hamfests....... (since I have to drive at
least 1-3 hours to get to most of them.)

Good point, Ryan. It seems that the pressure to get the "great deal"
gets people coming out earlier and earlier. So many of the sellers
accommodate. But it is now at the point that its ridiculous. I've seen
sellers closing up shop at 10:00 a.m., and many shut down before noon.

If I ran a hamfest, I *would* start it later. Sellers just might find
some more business.

The other gripe is, personal hygiene....... is it really a huge inconvience
for someone to grab a quick shower and toss on a little bit of
antipersperant/deodorant???

How do you know that everyone stinks if you don't go to them?

At Dayton this year, I recall one person that wasn't morning fresh.

At Rochester, I didn't notice anyone.

At Butler, the same.

At the fest near Scranton PA, there was one person that didn't quite
meet sanitation standards - well okay, he actually really really stunk.

No doubt there were some others, but it's an awfully small percentage.

But you can run into that sort of thing at any flea market, be it Ham
or otherwise.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 13th 04, 06:07 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
My gripe is why the hell do they have to be soooo early on the weekend?

The
weekend is my time to relax and sleep in a little bit compared to my
workweek of which I normally have to be up at about 5:30am. If they were

start at say 10am instead of 7am or 8am like I see most of them start I
might actually go to more of the hamfests....... (since I have to drive

at
least 1-3 hours to get to most of them.)

The other gripe is, personal hygiene....... is it really a huge

inconvience
for someone to grab a quick shower and toss on a little bit of
antipersperant/deodorant???

Ryan KC8PMX

Remember that many of the vendors may have a very long drive home and so
have to be out of there by 1pm or so. Besides there is nothing stopping you
from coming in at 10am instead of first thing in the morning. In the
private sales, prices are starting to drop by then anyway.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 13th 04, 06:14 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
I think a bigger problem is that some hams have absolutely no concept of
depreciation!!!!

I saw lately a ham trying to sell some PC's that were in the 100-200Mhz
range for over 400 bucks! Saw some others trying to sell some

transcievers
for about 30 bucks less than they sold for new, BUT the rigs were AT LEAST
15 years old. I can understand that if there are not alot of those rigs

out
there, but when there is a ton of a certain model, then the supply/demand
theory goes out the window and doesn't demand such a high price.......

Ryan KC8PMX

I note that you said "trying to sell." I bet they were still sitting on the
table at the end of the day. Hamfests are poor places to get that high a
price out of the equipment as the prospective buyer merely needs to go
"across the aisle" so to speak to get a new one at very little more.

Price dropping when there is a glut is certainly part of the supply & demand
principle.

Low supply + low demand = medium price
Low supply + high demand = high price
High supply + low demand = low price
High supply + high demand = medium price

However anyone trying to sell a typical 14 year old radio who is trying to
get nearly new price will wait a long time. The most I will ever pay for
used gear, except under very special circumstances, is 1/2 to 2/3 the new
price. If they won't sell for that, I'll buy new and get a warranty.

Dee D. Flint,

New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Why don't I ever hear these complaints about other hams? Jason Hsu Policy 77 September 22nd 03 04:35 AM
Amateur Radio "outside the box" Vshah101 Policy 11 July 30th 03 01:52 PM