Old July 11th 04, 07:17 PM
Phil Kane

Default Vanity Call fee going up in August

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:51:06 GMT, garigue wrote:

Personally, I believe Amateur Radio Licenses should cost $75 per year for
regulatory fees and the Commission should elimanate testing. I also
believe that is how it will eventually be in the near future.

You have an excellent suggestion there regarding the 75 bucks a year. That
would get the Feds the kind of enforcement clout that would have all the
echo chambers, illegal KW users, freebanders, shrimp boat screw-ups, 25
alternator pick-ups, 10 meter truckers, illegal 11 meter bums ETC. running
for the hills, burying their illegal rigs under the manure pile and getting
into leather working or beanie babies.

You assume that the $75 or whatever the fee is would go to the
Commission earmarked for amateur enforcement. The Congress would
never let it happen that way. Those fees go directly to the U S
Treasury for whatever purpose The Congress and the Administration
uses them. Look at all the money vacuumed up by the spectrum auctions.

The enforcement WAS that way.

Only because the powers-that-be understood why it had to be that
way and were willing to put people in there who believed that way
and could get it done as well. Sadly, those days and to a great
extent the folks who could get the job done properly are gone.

Also the testing could be given back to the FCC where it
belonged in the first place where, like I said before, shenanigans could
be minimized.

The powers-that-be don't want it back and will do everything in
their power to make sure that it doesn't come back - all in the name
of "privitization". I fought that battle 15 years ago and still
have the scars.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old August 10th 04, 04:50 PM
Sufi Baha'i

Did you know it costs us Aussie Hams AU$50 per year to keep a
license??? US$20/AU$30 for ten years sounds bloody cheap to me.

"Prime Rib Steak" wrote in message ...
FCC = Government Bureaucratic Incompetence at its worst.

et...

Old August 19th 04, 09:36 PM
Sufi Baha'i

The effect the fee has in Australia is that only active Hams maintain
their license, so you have a clear picture of how many active hams
there are as opposed to just those who had an interest years ago and
haven't touched a radio since. There was a discussion about changing
the license to get rid of the fee but that went absolutely nowhere.

Robert Casey wrote in message ...

It hasn't really been long enough to judge whether the amateur radio
service gets worse treament as a result of no license fee.

In the USA it definately would not, as all fees get dumped into
a giant bucket of money, along with all the other taxes you pay.
Then Congress divies up all that money.

Vanity Call fee going up in August Burp not Burr Policy 64 July 14th 04 11:39 PM
FYI: Vanity Call fee going up in August Minnie Bannister General 40 July 11th 04 10:21 PM
FCC Vanity Call Sign Dispute Keith Policy 0 January 22nd 04 11:41 PM
Vanity Call Sign Lookup Bob Policy 1 September 17th 03 01:10 AM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #620 Elmer E Ing Dx 3 July 28th 03 03:52 PM