Old September 1st 04, 09:36 PM
KØHB

Default The doom of BPL

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

Old September 1st 04, 10:40 PM
King Zulu

"KØHB" wrote in message
.net...

PHILADELPHIA - For about $10 million, city officials believe they can
turn all 135 square miles of Philadelphia into the world's largest wireless
Internet hot spot. . . .

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

I suppose the wireless frequencies would be out of the BPL to interference??

ak

Old September 1st 04, 11:09 PM
Dave

"King Zulu" wrote in message

"KØHB" wrote in message
.net...

PHILADELPHIA - For about $10 million, city officials believe they can
turn all 135 square miles of Philadelphia into the world's largest

wireless
Internet hot spot. . . .

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

I suppose the wireless frequencies would be out of the BPL to

interference??

ak

sure, they would saturate the 2.4ghz frequencies instead.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
Brian Kelly

"KØHB" wrote in message k.net...

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

Gotta love it. John Street the mayor is well known as a bit of a kook,
he's maybe a tad shady and he's a technology junkie but he's actually
been doing a pretty good job overall. My bet is that this maneuver
will fly.

If the FCC sits on BPL as long as it's been sitting on the code test
BPL will be history having been leapfrogged by Wi-Fi. Works for me.

w3rv
Old September 2nd 04, 03:58 PM
Brian Kelly

"KØHB" wrote in message
.net...

PHILADELPHIA - For about $10 million, city officials believe they can
turn all 135 square miles of Philadelphia into the world's largest

wireless
Internet hot spot. . . .

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

I suppose the wireless frequencies would be out of the BPL to

interference??

ak

sure, they would saturate the 2.4ghz frequencies instead.

(a) Where was it stated that they are going to use the 2.4 Mhz band?

(b) How many hams are operating in the 2.4 Ghz ham alloctaions?

(c) Answer: Close to zip.

(d) Ask me if I'd trade ham acess to 2.4 Ghz for BPL on 40 & 20.

w3rv

Old September 2nd 04, 04:29 PM
KØHB

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

k.net...

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

Gotta love it. John Street the mayor is well known as a bit of a kook,
he's maybe a tad shady and he's a technology junkie but he's actually
been doing a pretty good job overall. My bet is that this maneuver
will fly.

Under this plan, will the city become an ISP, or just a PoP for
broadband access?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old September 2nd 04, 04:52 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-09-02, Brian Kelly wrote:

If the FCC sits on BPL as long as it's been sitting on the code test
BPL will be history having been leapfrogged by Wi-Fi. Works for me.

They probably won't sit on it quite as long,
BPL = Money
code = No Money

--
Alex / AB2RC
Old September 3rd 04, 12:41 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

k.net...

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

Gotta love it. John Street the mayor is well known as a bit of a kook,
he's maybe a tad shady and he's a technology junkie but he's actually
been doing a pretty good job overall. My bet is that this maneuver
will fly.

If the FCC sits on BPL as long as it's been sitting on the code test
BPL will be history having been leapfrogged by Wi-Fi. Works for me.

w3rv

I think I've finally got this BPL fiasco figured out. The political suck up
appointees at the FCC had to make it LOOK LIKE they were following
instructions. Knowing full well it (BPL) would fail. Or perhaps not... hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 3rd 04, 02:41 AM
Brian Kelly

"KØHB" wrote in message ink.net...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

k.net...

http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...84QTN983_story

Gotta love it. John Street the mayor is well known as a bit of a kook,
he's maybe a tad shady and he's a technology junkie but he's actually
been doing a pretty good job overall. My bet is that this maneuver
will fly.

Under this plan, will the city become an ISP, or just a PoP for
broadband access?

Dunno, it was announced just a day or two ago by the local news media
which didn't get into any of those kinds of details. Looks like the
Earthlink article is the most definitive so far. They're just at the
front end of working it through so I expect it'll be awhile until even
the basic plan is formulated and released. Philly is a big burg,
there's a lot of bureaucratic "inertia" involved in these processes,
it won't happen overnight.

The ruling class is a combination of conservative Democrats and
moderate Republicans both of which are comfortable with the
privatization of municipal services. Would not surprise me if the city
made the investments in the infrastructure and retained it's ownership
then jobbed out the ISP end of it.

The wild card I see is the huge concentration of academic institutions
around here which could jump on it and become the ISPs on a non-profit
basis. Which would be very "Philly".

73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv