Old October 14th 04, 01:42 AM
Brian Kelly

Default BPL: The War Heats Up: The ARRL Goes After Powell

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/10/13/1/?nc=1
Old October 14th 04, 02:30 PM
King Zulu

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
m...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/10/13/1/?nc=1

[excerpt from link]

[Powell, an open proponent of BPL, played host to Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission Pat Wood III as they toured various sites in Manassas, the site
of a BPL field trial, and explained why BPL may be another broadband option.

The ARRL's motion asserts that Powell "either knew or should have known that
his participation in that presentation is in clear violation of Section
1.1203 of the Commission's Rules." As a result, the League said, the FCC's
consideration of a Report and Order in the proceeding "is irrevocably
tainted." ]

- - - - -
The technically inept and politically captive Michael K. Powell should never
have been nominated or approved as FCC Chairman. Some slight evidence of
technical comprehension should be required for the position.

ak

Old October 14th 04, 07:23 PM
Splinter

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:30:08 GMT, "King Zulu"
wrote:

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
[...]

To follow-up: I watched the FCC Open Agenda Meeting this
morning and Chairman Powell's non-verbal response to the ARRL request
was "Stuff it, I'm not recusing myself." He voted in favor of the R&O
proposed by the OET branch of the FCC.
However, I also read the emergency request from the ARRL and
there were flaws in the document, namely the date of the meeting was
listed as the 12th, not the 14th. The Chairman might have felt
inclined to disregard the request, given that oversight by the ARRL
general counsel given that bureaucrats generally need precise facts,
including the dates of a meeting like this.
Hopefully, ARRL will get their facts straight next time
around, eh??

--
Dan, KD8AGU
Please remove ".nospam" to reply via email.
Old October 15th 04, 02:15 AM
Brian Kelly

wrote:

[...]

...... hey, they tried ....nobody is perfect....?

The good news is that Powell knows ham radio is really, really, REALLY
out here.

The bad news might be that given a Bush win this year then eight more
years of a similarly-minded follow-on Republican regime conceivably we
could have Powell
running the FCC for another twelve years and gunning for our butts the
whole time.

Arrgh.

w3rv

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
ARRL and the local scene KØHB Policy 3 May 17th 04 02:30 AM
NEWS: N2DUP announces for ARRL section manager in Minnesota Chuck Gysi N2DUP Policy 0 May 9th 04 09:19 PM
NEWS: N2DUP announces for ARRL section manager in Minnesota Chuck Gysi N2DUP General 0 May 9th 04 09:18 PM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro Screwing NON ARRL members! NIW Policy 0 March 23rd 04 10:29 PM