Old November 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Erik

Default My Novice license and Upgrading

I obtained my Noice license back in the early 80's. I kept renewing
my ticket, but along the way I physically lost the license after a
break from ham radio and a move.

So a few years ago I contacted the FCC and now have, in my possession,
my Novice ticket from 1998-2002, and my current ticket from 2002 to
2012.

I am planning on upgrading to Technician class. Assuming I pass the
test, will either of my Novice tickets grant me "Technician with HF
privileges"? And when I eventually upgrade to General, will that also
satisfy my General code requirement?

Thanks.
Erik
Old November 6th 04, 01:11 AM
Dee D. Flint

Erik wrote in message ...
I obtained my Noice license back in the early 80's. I kept renewing
my ticket, but along the way I physically lost the license after a
break from ham radio and a move.

So a few years ago I contacted the FCC and now have, in my possession,
my Novice ticket from 1998-2002, and my current ticket from 2002 to
2012.

I am planning on upgrading to Technician class. Assuming I pass the
test, will either of my Novice tickets grant me "Technician with HF
privileges"? And when I eventually upgrade to General, will that also
satisfy my General code requirement?

Thanks.
Erik

Yes the possession of the Novice license will mean that you will have the
"Tech with HF" privileges. Those HF privileges will be the same as the
Novice license. However what you gain are complete VHF/UHF and higher
privileges.

When you upgrade to General, your Novice license will satisfy your General
code requirement so don't lose it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 6th 04, 02:00 AM
N2EY

In article , Erik Erik writes:

I obtained my Noice license back in the early 80's. I kept renewing
my ticket, but along the way I physically lost the license after a
break from ham radio and a move.

So a few years ago I contacted the FCC and now have, in my possession,
my Novice ticket from 1998-2002, and my current ticket from 2002 to
2012.

That's excellent, Erik!

I am planning on upgrading to Technician class. Assuming I pass the
test, will either of my Novice tickets grant me "Technician with HF
privileges"?

Yes. You will have those privileges as long as you retain the license
documents.

And when I eventually upgrade to General, will that also
satisfy my General code requirement?

Yes again - even if the Novice license itself has expired.

--

I suggest that you try the General and Extra tests the same time you go for the
Technician. Besides being good practice, the VE fee entitles you to try them

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

Old November 6th 04, 03:17 AM
Erik

Thanks Dee & Jim, that's what I was hoping to hear. Looking forward
to taking and passing my Tech test. Not sure if I'll try to tackle
more exams in the same day, but it's a thought...!

Erik
Old November 6th 04, 01:52 PM
N2EY

In article , Erik Erik writes:

Not sure if I'll try to tackle
more exams in the same day, but it's a thought...!

Try them anyway, even if just for practice.

btw, practice exams for all three license classes are available at various
websites. I take them every few months just to stay in practice.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 7th 04, 05:50 AM
Robert Casey

I suggest that you try the General and Extra tests the same time you go for the
Technician. Besides being good practice, the VE fee entitles you to try them
each once. You might wind up with a General or even an Extra, and not have to
worry about keeping the old license documents around.

That's similar to what I did a few years ago. When restructuring
happened back in 2000, I had a Tech plus (with the old style tech,
general written and novice code). I had the option of doing
a paperwork upgrade to a general, but I took and passed the
extra writtens. That locked in credit for 5WPM I had with
the old tech plus. Which I passed at an FCC field office,
I had to copy and send code. With a straight key they had
mounted to a desk. That's back in the olden days of
50 cent gas...