Old November 7th 04, 03:04 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

Default Theory questions

Hello, gang

Now we have had questions as to the future of amateur radio and BPL - and
have seen that the FCC now considers amateur radio simply a hobby and not
worthy of full protection, I'm seeing some upcoming problems.

How will we calculate resonant frequency? Since Wisconsin is now going to
teach creationism, I assume that Tennessee will revive their old law which
states that PI is equal to 3 (integer). With Bush firmly in command, I
suspect that PI will be made (by law) equal to three. Also, I suspect that
the metric system will be scrapped. We will deal in feet, with the foot
officially set to the length of Bush's foot.

Anyone have any new formulas? Or won't that matter too much? What will the
radian be defined as?

Inquiring minds and such .... )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old November 7th 04, 03:30 AM
Mike Coslo

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:
Hello, gang

Now we have had questions as to the future of amateur radio and BPL - and
have seen that the FCC now considers amateur radio simply a hobby and not
worthy of full protection, I'm seeing some upcoming problems.

How will we calculate resonant frequency? Since Wisconsin is now going to
teach creationism, I assume that Tennessee will revive their old law which
states that PI is equal to 3 (integer). With Bush firmly in command, I
suspect that PI will be made (by law) equal to three.

Sez so in the bible, so it must be!

2 Chronicles|4:2 Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to
brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line
of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

But it wasn't Tennessee, it was Indiana. And it wasn't 3, it was 3.2, or
3.3, or 4. The fellow proposing the law (T.I. Record of Posen County, in
1897) was confused by the idea of pi being a non rational number.
REally really confused!

But aside from being in error on that matter, you have a good point. We
are entering an age of anti-science.

Also, I suspect that
the metric system will be scrapped. We will deal in feet, with the foot
officially set to the length of Bush's foot.

Wrong, Jim. We will deal in cubits.

Anyone have any new formulas? Or won't that matter too much? What will the
radian be defined as?

Does not matter

Inquiring minds and such .... )

Inquiring minds need not apply!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 7th 04, 03:48 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
JAMES HAMPTON wrote:
[...]

Hello, Mike

Thanks for straightening me out on that one.

Must be I was thinking of the Scope's (not sure of the name) monkey trial.

Well, I messed up on my numbers a bit (not to mention the state in
question), but you did get my drift.

I like your last line. You are correct, we are going back to the 1950s (or
1850s, take your pick). I guess we can just hope that China can make our
junk for us and India can design it. Then we won't have to worry what PI is
anyway

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old November 7th 04, 05:58 AM
Robert Casey

But it wasn't Tennessee, it was Indiana. And it wasn't 3, it was 3.2, or
3.3, or 4. The fellow proposing the law (T.I. Record of Posen County, in
1897) was confused by the idea of pi being a non rational number.
REally really confused!

I had an arithemetic teacher in grammar school who thought
that PI = 22/7. Well, he was a bit less than 1% off...

Old November 7th 04, 02:49 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

But it wasn't Tennessee, it was Indiana. And it wasn't 3, it was 3.2, or
3.3, or 4. The fellow proposing the law (T.I. Record of Posen County, in
1897) was confused by the idea of pi being a non rational number.
REally really confused!

I had an arithemetic teacher in grammar school who thought
that PI = 22/7. Well, he was a bit less than 1% off...

Hi, Bob

Well 22/7 was a simple, fairly close approximation. Obviously, not many
folks memorize a lot of decimal places (which still wouldn't be exact, of
course).

I had an electronics teacher (he was junior man on the totem pole; he was a
drafting teacher actually) who insisted that there was a complex formula to
figure out resonant frequency, but this equation was close enough: frequency
equals capacitance times inductance.

LOL - true story and I was threatened when I disagreed. That was an early
lesson (at age 14) as to what the real world would be like. Now that we
have Bush, I just hope the rest of the world can do our designing for us

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old November 7th 04, 04:42 PM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 09:49:07 -0500, JAMES HAMPTON wrote:

Now that we have Bush, I just hope the rest of the world can do our
designing for us

Beware of electrical engineers trained in certain Eastern European
countries who believe that both electrical codes and Ohm's Law are
merely suggestions.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old November 7th 04, 09:03 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

Hello, gang

Now we have had questions as to the future of amateur radio and BPL - and
have seen that the FCC now considers amateur radio simply a hobby and not
worthy of full protection, I'm seeing some upcoming problems.

How will we calculate resonant frequency? Since Wisconsin is now going to
teach creationism, I assume that Tennessee will revive their old law which
states that PI is equal to 3 (integer). With Bush firmly in command, I
suspect that PI will be made (by law) equal to three. Also, I suspect that
the metric system will be scrapped. We will deal in feet, with the foot
officially set to the length of Bush's foot.

Anyone have any new formulas? Or won't that matter too much? What will the
radian be defined as?

Inquiring minds and such .... )

Pi R-squared.

No, no! Pi are round...cornbread are square! :-)

Old November 7th 04, 10:31 PM
Robert Casey

Hi, Bob

Well 22/7 was a simple, fairly close approximation. Obviously, not many
folks memorize a lot of decimal places (which still wouldn't be exact, of
course).

If he said that 22/7 was just an approximation, then it would
have been sensable. But he said that PI was exactly 22/7.
Old November 8th 04, 12:41 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
news

Hi, Bob

Well 22/7 was a simple, fairly close approximation. Obviously, not many
folks memorize a lot of decimal places (which still wouldn't be exact,

of
course).

If he said that 22/7 was just an approximation, then it would
have been sensable. But he said that PI was exactly 22/7.

Not good. Not good at all. That person would fit right into Bush's
administration. As long as his answer agrees with Bush, that is

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old November 8th 04, 12:43 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Len Over 21" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

[...]

Thanks, Len

The whole thing had me so upset (I can't believe what I'm seeing on
television) that I needed a break or a laugh. You gave me both!

Thanks & 73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM
Reference for basic antenna theory Cecil Moore Antenna 0 September 1st 03 08:29 PM