Old December 28th 04, 10:48 PM
Mike Coslo

Default Handheld works, Cell Phone Doesn't

http://www.arrl.org/?news_list_off=15

KA4NMA was in an accident recently and used his handheld on two meters
to call for help.

And I thought that there was no use for the things since we all have
cell phones now.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 29th 04, 12:36 AM
Kim

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
http://www.arrl.org/?news_list_off=15

KA4NMA was in an accident recently and used his handheld on two meters
to call for help.

And I thought that there was no use for the things since we all have
cell phones now.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again--because I truly believe
it: carry any and all forms of communication that you are capable of using
and have the ability to have; including FRS, GMRS, CB, amateur, and other
radio; flagging systems; flares, whatever. Doesn't matter what you've
got--as long as it gets attention.

Kim W5TIT

Old December 29th 04, 01:23 AM
Mike Coslo

Barry OGrady wrote:
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:48:44 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

http://www.arrl.org/?news_list_off=15

KA4NMA was in an accident recently and used his handheld on two meters
to call for help.

What did he use the meters for?

To set the handheld on after he was done, silly.

And I thought that there was no use for the things since we all have
cell phones now.

I thought there was no use for meters now that we have LCD displays.

LCD's pretty much suck at some things with the exception of the new
ICOM uberrig.

- Mike KB3EIA -

-Barry
========
"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
[A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

Old December 29th 04, 07:18 AM
Tony VE6MVP

wrote:

KA4NMA was in an accident recently and used his handheld on two meters
to call for help.

And I thought that there was no use for the things since we all have
cell phones now.

My brother's a 4x4er and showed me the following link.

Ham Operators Save Life
http://www.highriders.ca/cgi-bin/gallery/album39

Tony
Old December 29th 04, 02:39 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

http://www.arrl.org/?news_list_off=15

KA4NMA was in an accident recently and used his handheld on two meters
to call for help.

And I thought that there was no use for the things since we all have
cell phones now.

Who said that?

Certainly Lenover21 and William have said words to that effect.

What *has* happened is that cell phones do much if not most of the 911-type
reporting that we hams used to do. Particularly in metro areas. The above
example is the exception that proves the rule.

I think Kim said it best about taking whatever you can along with you.
Here in mountianous Central PA there are places *in the middle of town*
where the signal simply goes away. If I had to stake my life on getting
through, I would use my HT in our area. And that is my point here.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 29th 04, 05:00 PM
bb

Count me for three handhelds and one "portable" (Yahoo FT290MKII with
battery pack and tewescoping antenna).

No cell phone.

Old December 29th 04, 05:02 PM
bb

Kindly repost where I said that.

Old December 29th 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Coslo

bb wrote:

Kindly repost where I said that.

Is this in reply to something I wrote, Brian? Wow, we gotta get you a
new mailreader!

At any rate, I'm trying to look it up now, but you've had a lot of name
changes on the newsgroup.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 29th 04, 08:54 PM
Len Over 21

In article , PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

KA4NMA was in an accident recently and used his handheld on two meters
to call for help.

And I thought that there was no use for the things since we all have
cell phones now.

Who said that?

What *has* happened is that cell phones do much if not most of the 911-type
reporting that we hams used to do.

Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

I don't think so. That's a fantasy brag far above the membership
agitprop of the ARRL.

Hams did SOME emergency calling in the distant past, but it was
rather minor even in the past half century compared to all the other
forms of communications available to citizens.

Particularly in metro areas.

Really? I live in a "metro area." Greater Los Angeles (counting the
82 other communities besides L.A. city) has a population of 10
million. There has been NO dependence on amateur radio for any
emergency communications for decades, not prime, not secondary,
not even tertiary level in decades...and that includes the huge harbor
facilities of San Pedro - Long Beach and all the marinas up and down
the immediate coast. USCG depends on the VHF radios of the
maritime life here for life-saving efforts just as they do in other
coastal and inland waterways.

The above example is the exception that proves the rule.

Nothing is "proved" other than resourcefulness of human beings
faced with any sort of emergency.

About three years ago a teenage girl heard a call for help on her
FRS handie-talkie, an action acted upon that resulted in a half
dozen mountain climbers being rescued quickly in the state of
Washington. That was in the state newspapers with some
exposure on the national press.

By your "exception logic," FRS radios are "vital to emergency
communications." Tsk, and FRS isn't licensed radio, either!

You should really confine your fantasyland imaginings to your
lulls between "Type 7" radio contacts...and remember that
amateur radio is basically a HOBBY activity done for fun, not
some heroic life-saving "service" to the nation.