Old January 4th 05, 01:56 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Lenof21 wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Misquote, Len. Jim wrote "reporting". In that he is correct. Since so
many (most?) people have a cell phone, it stands to reason that the
initial report is more likely to be made by a person using a cell phone.

That's it, Mike. Of course there was a time, not so many years ago, when cell
phones weren't very common, but hams with mobile rigs were.

Here's a "plain simple fact:" I replied to J.P.Miccolis' message
and quoted his EXACT WORDS.

Looks like a misquote on Len's part.

Do you mean when Jim posted:

Jim What *has* happened is that cell phones do much if not most of the
Jim 911-type
Jim reporting that we hams used to do.

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Ain't no "misquote."

Sure is. But I don't think Len will admit it, Mike.

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Where exactly did Jim say that Hams used to do the 911 communications?

Not in any post I can recall.

Now you go read my reply and, if you have arguments, you can
go off and argue with the U.S. Census Bureau, NASA, the FCC,
and, for emotional finger-pointing, the families of the astronauts
killed in the shuttle burn-up. Whoever.

Looks like Len is telling you not to differ with *him*, Mike. Looks like he's
trying to tell you to stop pointing out his misquote.

I read your reply. I don't understand why you think that I should
bother all those people when Jim wrote:

Jim What *has* happened is that cell phones do much if not most of the
Jim 911-type reporting that we hams used to do.

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Just don't give us this bullsnit about "misquoting."

Looks like a misquote by Len from here.

Is it bullsnit when Jim wrote:

I don't think so. That's a fantasy brag far above the membership
agitprop of the ARRL.

A brag that was never written.

I kinda missed ya on that one, Mike.

'Cept it was a misquote.

Except it was NOT a "misquote."

Of course it *was* a misquote by Len, but he won't admit it.

It would appear to me, that it is very much a misquote.

Here however is an exact quote that is quite applicable:

I just send them. If you no like them, hit the ENTER key and go
to the next message.

If you don't like my messages, I suggest you do the same.

Sounds like good advice. Of course the author of that one won't take his own
advice...

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 4th 05, 03:49 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Misquote, Len. Jim wrote "reporting". In that he is correct. Since so
many (most?) people have a cell phone, it stands to reason that the
initial report is more likely to be made by a person using a cell phone.

That's it, Mike. Of course there was a time, not so many years ago, when cell
phones weren't very common, but hams with mobile rigs were.

Sure enough. That a person might make a 911 call using a cell phone is
not the issue. That having cell phones make 911 calls is perhaps the
best use of the things. but it still isn't the issue.

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Ain't no "misquote."

Sure is. But I don't think Len will admit it, Mike.

You didn't write "communications anywhere in there. There is also a
world of difference between "911 type reporting" (which is a quote) and
"do the 911 communications", which is what you were quoted as saying.

A person using a cell phone to report a 911 type situation is not
"doing the 911 communications". They are reporting a situation. Same as
if you called using an HT or a phone booth.

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Where exactly did Jim say that Hams used to do the 911 communications?

Not in any post I can recall.

'Cuz you didn't.

Now you go read my reply and, if you have arguments, you can
go off and argue with the U.S. Census Bureau, NASA, the FCC,
and, for emotional finger-pointing, the families of the astronauts
killed in the shuttle burn-up. Whoever.

Looks like Len is telling you not to differ with *him*, Mike. Looks like he's
trying to tell you to stop pointing out his misquote.

I still want to know why those people would want to talk to me about a
misquote. 8^)

And I apologize in advance to anyone who would like me to shut up! 8^)

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Just don't give us this bullsnit about "misquoting."

Looks like a misquote by Len from here.

Is it bullsnit when Jim wrote:

I don't think so. That's a fantasy brag far above the membership
agitprop of the ARRL.

A brag that was never written.

I kinda missed ya on that one, Mike.

You made no fantasy brag. You wrote a simple statement that cell phones
have largely replaced Hams calling in emergency reports. That is simply
true.

'Cept it was a misquote.

Except it was NOT a "misquote."

Of course it *was* a misquote by Len, but he won't admit it.

Admission is not required.

Old January 4th 05, 06:57 PM
Lenof21

In article , PAMNO
(the paragon of Truth and Virtue, he say) writes:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Lenof21 wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Misquote, Len. Jim wrote "reporting". In that he is correct. Since so
many (most?) people have a cell phone, it stands to reason that the
initial report is more likely to be made by a person using a cell phone.

That's it, Mike. Of course there was a time, not so many years ago, when cell
phones weren't very common, but hams with mobile rigs were.

...must have been in a galaxy far, far away from this one. :-)

Lovely NON-applicable factoid, doesn't explain anything. Of
course there were radio amateurs with mobile radios "not so
many years ago." There still are.

But, there are NO facts presented that those mobile radios
were used in emergencies. If they were, there are NO facts
presented as to any percentage of "emergency operations"
relative to normal amateur radio hobby use.

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Ain't no "misquote."

Sure is. But I don't think Len will admit it, Mike.

Tsk, tsk. The "911" communications system was never designed
around radio amateurs.

[this is beginning to sound like another wish-fulfillment statement
done in here by another, "Sorry, Hans, MARS IS amateur
radio!" :-) ]

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Where exactly did Jim say that Hams used to do the 911 communications?

Not in any post I can recall.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Verbatim copying of actual, posted statements
just a few days ago "can't be recalled?"

Bad case of short-term memory loss. See a real MD.

Now you go read my reply and, if you have arguments, you can
go off and argue with the U.S. Census Bureau, NASA, the FCC,
and, for emotional finger-pointing, the families of the astronauts
killed in the shuttle burn-up. Whoever.

Looks like Len is telling you not to differ with *him*, Mike. Looks like he's
trying to tell you to stop pointing out his misquote.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk. Ol' George (Orwell) should have been around
to see this parody of "1984." :-)

J.P. denies having said something (or wrote) and Coslo keeps
trying to stick his hockey puck in here, and both are having a
fun time pretending to be honorable and virtuous paragons of
truth, justice, and the ARRL way.

Seems like there SHALL BE NO ARGUMENTS WITH PCTA
EXTRAS!!! Ever. :-)

If you don't like my messages, I suggest you do the same.

Sounds like good advice. Of course the author of that one won't take his own
advice...

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk. J.P. didn't take such advice. :-)

Coslo keeps jumping in on others postings, acting like an immoderate
moderator in an unmoderated forum.

It's a Fantasyland. The "911" emergency call system was NOT
established with or for amateur use, yet the two paragons keep
trying to say it was and that hams DID "911" comms (even though
it did not exist then).

Twilight Zone. Lost in Space. Outer Limits.

Jeff Herman said that hams can do communications with zero power
output.

J.P. implied that ham HTs were the only practical means of comms
among shuttle burn-up debris searching. [all the rest of those
thousands and thousands of government and agency HTs were
apparently inadequate in the Fantasyland]

This is getting to be like Laugh-In but without the humor...

Old January 4th 05, 06:57 PM
Lenof21

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

If you don't like my messages, I suggest you do the same.

Now, now, don't get testy. :-)

You aren't following the Moderator Manual, just doing 5 Corrections
per Minute for someone else's posting. Real Moderators can do
20, not just 5. :-)

.

Old January 5th 05, 02:52 AM
Mike Coslo

Lenof21 wrote:
In article , PAMNO
(the paragon of Truth and Virtue, he say) writes:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

and you wrote:

[...]

I'll admit, I am having fun.

Seems like there SHALL BE NO ARGUMENTS WITH PCTA
EXTRAS!!! Ever. :-)

Oh dear, I know at least Jim and myself love a good row! I like
accurate quotes tho'!

If you don't like my messages, I suggest you do the same.

Sounds like good advice. Of course the author of that one won't take his own
advice...

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk. J.P. didn't take such advice. :-)

Coslo keeps jumping in on others postings, acting like an immoderate
moderator in an unmoderated forum.

Don't you just *hate it* when that happens?

It's a Fantasyland. The "911" emergency call system was NOT
established with or for amateur use, yet the two paragons keep
trying to say it was and that hams DID "911" comms (even though
it did not exist then).

Good point. No one said that though.

Twilight Zone. Lost in Space. Outer Limits.

Jeff Herman said that hams can do communications with zero power
output.

J.P. implied that ham HTs were the only practical means of comms
among shuttle burn-up debris searching. [all the rest of those
thousands and thousands of government and agency HTs were
apparently inadequate in the Fantasyland]

Where on earth did he say that? Another of these "quotes"?

Hams used VHF HF, and an internet link during the debris search. I
don't know if they used UHF or not

This is getting to be like Laugh-In but without the humor...

It is there, you just have to look for it!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 5th 05, 05:25 PM

Mike Coslo wrote:
Lenof21 wrote:
In article ,

PAMNO
writes:

In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

[...]

I don't think there are any facts that would convince Len.

Tsk. J.P. "never said that." ? :-)

Wrong again, Len

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Where exactly did Jim say that Hams used to do the 911

communications?

Not in any post I can recall.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Verbatim copying of actual, posted statements
just a few days ago "can't be recalled?"

Bad case of short-term memory loss. See a real MD.

Now you go read my reply and, if you have arguments, you can
go off and argue with the U.S. Census Bureau, NASA, the FCC,
and, for emotional finger-pointing, the families of the

astronauts
killed in the shuttle burn-up. Whoever.

Looks like Len is telling you not to differ with *him*, Mike. Looks

like he's
trying to tell you to stop pointing out his misquote.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk. Ol' George (Orwell) should have been around
to see this parody of "1984." :-)

You mean the way you deny history, Len?

J.P. denies having said something (or wrote) and Coslo keeps
trying to stick his hockey puck in here, and both are having a
fun time pretending to be honorable and virtuous paragons of
truth, justice, and the ARRL way.

I'll admit, I am having fun.

Seems like there SHALL BE NO ARGUMENTS WITH PCTA
EXTRAS!!! Ever. :-)

Oh dear, I know at least Jim and myself love a good row! I like
accurate quotes tho'!

If you like accuracy, stay away from Len ;-)

If you don't like my messages, I suggest you do the same.

Sounds like good advice. Of course the author of that one won't

take his own
advice...

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk. J.P. didn't take such advice. :-)

Coslo keeps jumping in on others postings, acting like an

immoderate
moderator in an unmoderated forum.

Don't you just *hate it* when that happens?

Wonder where you learned that , Mike?

It's a Fantasyland. The "911" emergency call system was NOT
established with or for amateur use, yet the two paragons keep
trying to say it was and that hams DID "911" comms (even though
it did not exist then).

Good point. No one said that though.

Twilight Zone. Lost in Space. Outer Limits.

Jeff Herman said that hams can do communications with zero power
output.

Where?

J.P. implied that ham HTs were the only practical means of comms
among shuttle burn-up debris searching. [all the rest of those
thousands and thousands of government and agency HTs were
apparently inadequate in the Fantasyland]

Where on earth did he say that? Another of these "quotes"?

Hams used VHF HF, and an internet link during the debris search. I
don't know if they used UHF or not

What I *did* say was that ham radio was much more effective than cell
phones in that effort.

But don't take my word for it. Read what someone who *was there* wrote:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9?dmode=source

Was Len there, searching for shuttle debris? I don't think so.

This is getting to be like Laugh-In but without the humor...

It is there, you just have to look for it!

Indeed. ;-)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 6th 05, 02:51 AM
Mike Coslo

Mike Coslo wrote:

Lenof21 wrote:

In article ,

PAMNO

writes:

In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

snip

Lovely NON-applicable factoid, doesn't explain anything. Of
course there were radio amateurs with mobile radios "not so
many years ago." There still are.

But, there are NO facts presented that those mobile radios
were used in emergencies. If they were, there are NO facts
presented as to any percentage of "emergency operations"
relative to normal amateur radio hobby use.

I don't think there are any facts that would convince Len.

prolly not.

Tsk. J.P. "never said that." ? :-)

Of course he never said that. He WROTE it. :-)

Wrong again, Len

And I wonder where the "never said that" quote came from. Was that
supposed to be me?

and you wrote:

[...]

Jim, I'm beginning to think that Len takes umbrage at my posts. Just
imagine! A poster making posts within a thread! Especially "jumping in
on others postings" (an actual quote) in a thread that I started.

My goodness, the nerve of some hockey pucks!! 8^)

Don't you just *hate it* when that happens?

Wonder where you learned that , Mike?

Why SNL of course!

It's a Fantasyland. The "911" emergency call system was NOT
established with or for amateur use, yet the two paragons keep
trying to say it was and that hams DID "911" comms (even though
it did not exist then).

Good point. No one said that though.

Twilight Zone. Lost in Space. Outer Limits.

Twilight Zone - awesome show. A few episodes kind of date, but still
highly watchable. A+

Lost in Space - Bleh, although I thought June Lockhart was pretty sharp
in her aluminum foil space suit. C-

Outer Limits - The intro can still give me goosebumps. I loved it when I
was a kid. Now some of the episodes seem a little uneven. B+

Jeff Herman said that hams can do communications with zero power
output.

Where?

I think he is referring to the article in QST about communications
without radiated energy. I'm extremely skeptical, but who knows what can
happen in the quantum world? Who would have figured that you can tell
what the spin of a split particle could be affected by the measurement
of the other particle that it was split from, without any connection.

Note that no radiated energy does not imply no energy used.

J.P. implied that ham HTs were the only practical means of comms
among shuttle burn-up debris searching. [all the rest of those
thousands and thousands of government and agency HTs were
apparently inadequate in the Fantasyland]

Where on earth did he say that? Another of these "quotes"?

Hams used VHF HF, and an internet link during the debris search. I
don't know if they used UHF or not

What I *did* say was that ham radio was much more effective than cell
phones in that effort.

NO question about that.

Old January 18th 05, 07:09 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Lenof21 wrote:
In article ,

(the paragon of Truth and Virtue, he say) writes:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

and you wrote:

[...]

Tsk. You two "row" your boat all on dry land.

Fix your leaks and you can try it in the water.

If you don't like my messages, I suggest you do the same.

Sounds like good advice. Of course the author of that one won't take his

own
advice...

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk. J.P. didn't take such advice. :-)

Coslo keeps jumping in on others postings, acting like an immoderate
moderator in an unmoderated forum.

Don't you just *hate it* when that happens?

It's a Fantasyland. The "911" emergency call system was NOT
established with or for amateur use, yet the two paragons keep
trying to say it was and that hams DID "911" comms (even though
it did not exist then).

Good point. No one said that though.

It was all written, not said. :-)

Let's see...the 911 emergency call system was implemented
on the telephone infrastructure. It wasn't implemented through
amateur radio. Really.

Yes, some amateur repeater operators have added the ability to
access the TELEPHONE SYSTEM 911 calling. At least I am
told this. :-)

So, by the miraculous wish-fulfillment properties of the self-
righteous, you now want to infer/imply/never-say-outright (or
whatever you do or claim) that amateur radio is responsible for
the creation and continuance of the 911 emergency calling
system?

Twilight Zone. Lost in Space. Outer Limits.

Jeff Herman said that hams can do communications with zero power
output.

"CW gets through when nothing else will."

Gosh, that sounds like "CW" doesn't even need electricity! :-)

Breakthrough in physics! :-)

J.P. implied that ham HTs were the only practical means of comms
among shuttle burn-up debris searching. [all the rest of those
thousands and thousands of government and agency HTs were
apparently inadequate in the Fantasyland]

Where on earth did he say that? Another of these "quotes"?

According to the rec.radio.amateur.policy newsgroup postings.

Tsk. Is AOL giving you trouble also?

Hams used VHF HF, and an internet link during the debris search. I
don't know if they used UHF or not

You were THERE? Along the debris footprint? Did you find anything?

Or didn't you just repeat the tale told to you? Which is it?

NASA doesn't say that hams were the ONLY ones looking for debris.

Well, I should cut you some slack. With all that "serving your
country in OTHER ways," it must make you tired and grouchy.
Get some rest. You will feel better.

This is getting to be like Laugh-In but without the humor...

It is there, you just have to look for it!

Yes, it is there. But the "humor" isn't funny.

Problem is, "Laugh-In" is a defunct TV show.

Lots of the myths of morse have been defunct longer...but they still
live on like ghouls or zombies. You have ghoul friends?

Continue to "serve your country in those OTHER ways," good soldier.

Posted on 18 Jan 05
Old January 18th 05, 07:59 PM
K4YZ

Len Over 21 wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Lenof21 wrote:
In article ,

(the paragon of Truth and Virtue, he say) writes:

In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

Lenof21 wrote:

and you wrote:

Lenover21Really? "Hams used to do the 911 communications?"

Ain't no "misquote."

Sure is. But I don't think Len will admit it, Mike.

Tsk, tsk. The "911" communications system was never designed
around radio amateurs.

[this is beginning to sound like another wish-fulfillment

statement
done in here by another, "Sorry, Hans, MARS IS amateur
radio!" :-) ]

No "wish fulfillment", Lennie.

Oh dear, I know at least Jim and myself love a good row! I like
accurate quotes tho'!

Tsk. You two "row" your boat all on dry land.

Fix your leaks and you can try it in the water.

Leonard, YOU have absolutely NO BUSINESS redressing ANYONE about
"fixing leaks".

Your rants in this forum are so frought with holes that if you
were the Titanic, you would have sunk before the lookouts in the crow's
nest had a chance to say "ICE Berrrrrrr........"

It's a Fantasyland. The "911" emergency call system was NOT
established with or for amateur use, yet the two paragons keep
trying to say it was and that hams DID "911" comms (even though
it did not exist then).

Good point. No one said that though.

It was all written, not said.

Yes, it was. And you continue to quote out-of-context.

Let's see...the 911 emergency call system was implemented
on the telephone infrastructure. It wasn't implemented through
amateur radio. Really.

The IN-CONTEXT parts that you continue to snip in order to make it
work for you is that PRIOR to the proliferation of the cellphone,
Amateur Radio was one of the principal methods of interface with 9-1-1
for the delivery of emergency calls.

It remains an important part of that network. Almost every agency
of Federal, state and local government has some provision for the
implementation of Amateur-supported alternatives to both the cellphone
and landline communications nets.

This is not "wish fulfillment" or fantasy. It is documented fact.

Yes, some amateur repeater operators have added the ability to
access the TELEPHONE SYSTEM 911 calling. At least I am
told this.

And BEING told this is the only way you'd know.

Embarrassing, wot, that some elementary and middle school kids
have more practical knowledge on some aspects of "emergency comms" than
an octogenarian "radio professional", eh...???

So, by the miraculous wish-fulfillment properties of the self-
righteous, you now want to infer/imply/never-say-outright (or
whatever you do or claim) that amateur radio is responsible for
the creation and continuance of the 911 emergency calling
system?

Nope...that's a "wish fulfillment" opportunity on YOUR part,
Lennie.

Twilight Zone. Lost in Space. Outer Limits.

Jeff Herman said that hams can do communications with zero

power
output.

"CW gets through when nothing else will."

Gosh, that sounds like "CW" doesn't even need electricity!

Breakthrough in physics!

The "breakthrough in physics" will come when they can create an
energy source that can get you off your fat gluteus and into a test
session like you siad you'd do FIVE YEAR AGO.

J.P. implied that ham HTs were the only practical means of

comms
among shuttle burn-up debris searching. [all the rest of those
thousands and thousands of government and agency HTs were
apparently inadequate in the Fantasyland]

Where on earth did he say that? Another of these "quotes"?

According to the rec.radio.amateur.policy newsgroup postings.

Tsk. Is AOL giving you trouble also?

He never said any such thing...except in your warped efforts to
try and twist what WAS said.

Hams used VHF HF, and an internet link during the debris search. I
don't know if they used UHF or not

You were THERE? Along the debris footprint? Did you find

anything?

Or didn't you just repeat the tale told to you? Which is it?

NASA doesn't say that hams were the ONLY ones looking for debris.

No, they weren't.

However the radio spectrum from 136Mhz to 156Mhz was the prefered
method of ground team communications, and much of that between 144Mhz
to 148Mhz.

Well, I should cut you some slack. With all that "serving your
country in OTHER ways," it must make you tired and grouchy.
Get some rest. You will feel better.

Professional mental health counselling would help YOU,
Lennie...and NOT that K-Tel, correspondence course stuff Mommy does.

Oh...I forgot...No kids..Sorry..That was ANOTHER of yet a few dozen
disciplines for which you have no practical experience.

This is getting to be like Laugh-In but without the humor...

It is there, you just have to look for it!

Yes, it is there. But the "humor" isn't funny.

We ahve yet to see any from you, Lennie...except for some bizzare,
self-titillating stuff you seem to enjoy for some resaon.

Problem is, "Laugh-In" is a defunct TV show.

You don't seem to have a grip on that though, Lennie.

For the longest time your AOL "profile" imagined you as the
scruffy character played by Arte Johnson who got clobbered by Ruth
Buzzy's "bag lady" character when he made inappropriate suggestions to
her.

Seems to me that you've made a career of making inappropriate
suggestions to people on a whole range of subjects and you seem to
ENJOY getting clobbered for your stupidity.

Lots of the myths of morse have been defunct longer...but they

still
live on like ghouls or zombies. You have ghoul friends?

You do. Roll over an give her a big wet one, Lennie. And tell her
it's almost noon...take off the blinders.

Continue to "serve your country in those OTHER ways," good

soldier.

How do YOU "continue to serve your country", Lennie? Yet another
epoch ended in 1956?

Putz.

Steve, K4YZ