RadioBanter

-   -   VEC rates to increase (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/28024-vec-rates-increase.html)

Dave Heil January 15th 05 05:47 AM

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:
In article ,

Speaking of the Coast Guard, I wonder how much guts it takes to go out
in one of those rollers and spend a little quality time upside down,
while trying to rescue someone. That has to be an *intense* Sphincter
pucker moment!

It has to be much more intense than the sphincter-tightening moment
which comes about as a result of artillery shelling one didn't
experience (see the classic "sphincter post" by Len Anderson). :-)

Dave K8MN

K4YZ January 15th 05 09:40 AM

Dave Heil wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:
In article ,

Speaking of the Coast Guard, I wonder how much guts it

takes to go out
in one of those rollers and spend a little quality time upside

down,
while trying to rescue someone. That has to be an *intense*

Sphincter
pucker moment!

It has to be much more intense than the sphincter-tightening moment
which comes about as a result of artillery shelling one didn't
experience (see the classic "sphincter post" by Len Anderson).

Ahhhhyes! And there's always his posts about being under the
threat of the Tu-95...And let's not forget his 2.2 million messages he
sigle handedly passed!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Mike Coslo January 16th 05 04:18 AM

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article , "Kim"
writes:

Uh huh. I did ask. And, you came back with this argument
initially
that--paraphrasing--were you not entitled to your opinion. You
are entitled.

Incorrect. Brian Burke

N0IMD

was specifically talking about those in
here who belong to the "PCTA extra" persuasion and who
continually try to put those who are against the morse code test.

"continually try to put those who are against the morse code test"?

Put them where?

Those "PCTA extras"

Who are they, Len? Specifically? Use callsigns because names aren't

necessarily

unique.

Much easier to not put a name or face on the evil "PCTA Extras".
Makes it a lot easier to demonize them.

Very true, Mike.

But I think Len just doesn't like to use our callsigns.

Because I'm a PCTA Extra,(KB3EIA) and so are you,(N2EY) and so is
Dave,(K8MN) and Steve,(K4YZ) and Dan (W4NTI).

Now if THAT isn't a diverse group, I don't know what is. TRying to put
us all in one "Olde tyme Hammes" group is doomed to failure.

Fact is, of the Extras in here who are
PCTA, there are a lot of different personalities, from abrasive to
mild mannered.

Same goes for NCTAs.

For example, I've had many detailed discussions with K2UNK, yet there's
never a harsh word, even though we're poles apart on most amateur radio
policy issues. Heck, K2UNK is a *director* of NCI!

Yes, same here, although I believe I got him pretty irratated a few
times. THat's okay, because I'm an irratating person some times! 8^)

One cannot stereotype a spectrum easily.

That's why Len denies there is a spectrum. All are blamed for what
someone supposedly did decades ago.

Perhaps there was some sort of prenatal terror induced by a Ham?

persist in claiming turf on who should
direct EVERYTHING about U.S. amateur radio - including all
federal regulations thereof - just because of tenure as an
amateur or because they feel they "own" the hobby and are
somehow "entititled" to be of the noble calling of amateurism.

Where, specifically, has this been claimed? By whom?

Perhaps you and N0IMD have very thin skins...;-)

PCTA extras imply they are "superior" about everything and
are busy trying to shove out the NCTAs from this newsgroup.

Really? You're the only person here I've seen tell another to "shut
the hell up".

Let us not forget the recent offers for one poster to engage in
fornication with himself,

That was me. And it wasn't an offer, it was a command. ;-)

Isn't it okay to refuse an immoral command?? hehe ;^)

and for another to stick something up his "I/O
port". All in response to civil posts.

For Len, "civil" equals "agrees with Len". All else is uncivil.

My lack of civility must be distressing indeed.

You imply your own superiority in all things here ;-) ;-)

You are entitled to believe that the ground a military person
walks on is sacred and that no one else is "entitled" to the same
benefits
from the United States as a person who has served in the military.

You're also entitled to believe that the moon is made of cheese. Or
that the earth is flat.

Or that your lifelong avoidance of Morse Code has some relevance to
amateur radio policy.

You are off on your own fantasy there.

Naw, Len, she hit the nail really square.

Brian Burke served in the
USAF, overseas. I served in the US Army, also overseas, and
specifically in radio communications. It is safe to say that we
are both proud of serving our country.

As you should be. Others feel the same way about *their* military
service, too.

But is the military the only way a citizen can serve our country?

Or are there other ways? Does it have to be "overseas"?

There are other, direct ways of doing this.

What about indirect ways?

Sure, but I'm surprised that these good folk can't figure out other
direct ways that are not specifically serving in the military.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo January 16th 05 04:19 AM

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article , "Kim"
writes:

[...]

Yes, same here, although I believe I got him pretty irritated a few
times. THat's okay, because I'm an irritating person some times! 8^)

N2EY January 16th 05 08:31 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article , "Kim"
writes:

Uh huh. I did ask. And, you came back with this argument
initially
that--paraphrasing--were you not entitled to your opinion. You
are entitled.

Incorrect. Brian Burke

N0IMD

was specifically talking about those in
here who belong to the "PCTA extra" persuasion and who
continually try to put those who are against the morse code test.

"continually try to put those who are against the morse code test"?
Put them where?

Ever notice how Len avoids direct questions?

Those "PCTA extras"

Who are they, Len? Specifically? Use callsigns because names aren't
necessarily unique.

Much easier to not put a name or face on the evil "PCTA Extras".
Makes it a lot easier to demonize them.

Very true, Mike.

But I think Len just doesn't like to use our callsigns.

Because I'm a PCTA Extra,(KB3EIA) and so are you,(N2EY) and so is
Dave,(K8MN) and Steve,(K4YZ) and Dan (W4NTI).

And Brian, W3RV. Plus many others, some departed.

Now if THAT isn't a diverse group, I don't know what is. TRying to put
us all in one "Olde tyme Hammes" group is doomed to failure.

Nonetheless, Len tries to.

Fact is, of the Extras in here who are
PCTA, there are a lot of different personalities, from abrasive to
mild mannered.

Same goes for NCTAs.

For example, I've had many detailed discussions with K2UNK, yet there's
never a harsh word, even though we're poles apart on most amateur radio
policy issues. Heck, K2UNK is a *director* of NCI!

Yes, same here, although I believe I got him pretty irratated a few
times. THat's okay, because I'm an irratating person some times! 8^)

Yet even when irritated, I cannot recall K2UNK ever calling people names or
turning a difference of opinion into a personal attack. The closest thing to it
was when we were discussing highway speed limits and Bill referred to "safety
Nazis" as one source of the 55 mph rule. And IIRC he apologized for that,
later.

One cannot stereotype a spectrum easily.

That's why Len denies there is a spectrum. All are blamed for what
someone supposedly did decades ago.

Perhaps there was some sort of prenatal terror induced by a Ham?

Could be. Len appears to have been bested in a debate by KH2D, and so now takes
out his vengenance on all who resemble KH2D in any way that's significant to
Len.

persist in claiming turf on who should
direct EVERYTHING about U.S. amateur radio - including all
federal regulations thereof - just because of tenure as an
amateur or because they feel they "own" the hobby and are
somehow "entititled" to be of the noble calling of amateurism.

Where, specifically, has this been claimed? By whom?

Perhaps you and N0IMD have very thin skins...;-)

PCTA extras imply they are "superior" about everything and
are busy trying to shove out the NCTAs from this newsgroup.

Really? You're the only person here I've seen tell another to "shut
the hell up".

Let us not forget the recent offers for one poster to engage in
fornication with himself,

That was me. And it wasn't an offer, it was a command. ;-)

Isn't it okay to refuse an immoral command?? hehe ;^)

How would I know? I'm supposedly a "nonserver", remember?

and for another to stick something up his "I/O
port". All in response to civil posts.

For Len, "civil" equals "agrees with Len". All else is uncivil.

Let us not forget the post where Len made fun of a Coast Guard
radio operator (the classic "sphincter post").

Also, there's the classic where Len talksed about W4NTI "filling the sight
target" and how it would only take "ounces of pressure"...

My lack of civility must be distressing indeed.

?? You're arguably the most civil poster here, Mike.

You imply your own superiority in all things here ;-) ;-)

You are entitled to believe that the ground a military person
walks on is sacred and that no one else is "entitled" to the same
benefits
from the United States as a person who has served in the military.

You're also entitled to believe that the moon is made of cheese. Or
that the earth is flat.

Or that your lifelong avoidance of Morse Code has some relevance to
amateur radio policy.

You are off on your own fantasy there.

Naw, Len, she hit the nail really square.

Kim and I disagree on many things. But every so often she really nails
one point or another. Like the one above.

Brian Burke served in the
USAF, overseas. I served in the US Army, also overseas, and
specifically in radio communications. It is safe to say that we
are both proud of serving our country.

As you should be. Others feel the same way about *their* military
service, too.

But is the military the only way a citizen can serve our country?

Or are there other ways? Does it have to be "overseas"?

There are other, direct ways of doing this.

What about indirect ways?

Sure, but I'm surprised that these good folk can't figure out other
direct ways that are not specifically serving in the military.

To do so would be to admit that someone like me is right about something.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo January 17th 05 03:02 AM

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article , "Kim"
writes:

[...]

Oh yes, and each addition makes it harder to group us as one "type".

[...]

And occasionally, that can be incredibly irritating to some people! ;^)

You imply your own superiority in all things here ;-) ;-)

You are entitled to believe that the ground a military person
walks on is sacred and that no one else is "entitled" to the same
benefits

from the United States as a person who has served in the military.

You're also entitled to believe that the moon is made of cheese. Or
that the earth is flat.

Or that your lifelong avoidance of Morse Code has some relevance to
amateur radio policy.

You are off on your own fantasy there.

Naw, Len, she hit the nail really square.

Kim and I disagree on many things. But every so often she really nails
one point or another. Like the one above.

Of course she is correct in this case. The "service" argument is too
often thrown out as a way to stifle discussion. No one wants to look
like they don't support our servicemen and women, so more often than
not, the person just shuts up rather than risk the "unpatriotic" moniker
about to be thrust on them.

Brian Burke served in the
USAF, overseas. I served in the US Army, also overseas, and
specifically in radio communications. It is safe to say that we
are both proud of serving our country.

As you should be. Others feel the same way about *their* military
service, too.

But is the military the only way a citizen can serve our country?

Or are there other ways? Does it have to be "overseas"?

There are other, direct ways of doing this.

What about indirect ways?

Sure, but I'm surprised that these good folk can't figure out other
direct ways that are not specifically serving in the military.

To do so would be to admit that someone like me is right about something.

Ahh, but you are.

- Mike KB3EIA -

bb January 17th 05 03:35 AM

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article ,

"Kim"
writes:

Uh huh. I did ask. And, you came back with this argument
initially
that--paraphrasing--were you not entitled to your opinion. You
are entitled.

Incorrect. Brian Burke

N0IMD

was specifically talking about those in
here who belong to the "PCTA extra" persuasion and who
continually try to put those who are against the morse code

test.

"continually try to put those who are against the morse code

test"?
Put them where?

Ever notice how Len avoids direct questions?

Ever notice how Miccolis does?

I do every day.

Lenof21 January 17th 05 05:02 AM

In article .com, "bb"
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article ,

"Kim"
writes:

Uh huh. I did ask. And, you came back with this argument
initially
that--paraphrasing--were you not entitled to your opinion. You
are entitled.

Incorrect. Brian Burke

N0IMD

was specifically talking about those in
here who belong to the "PCTA extra" persuasion and who
continually try to put those who are against the morse code

test.

"continually try to put those who are against the morse code

test"?
Put them where?

Ever notice how Len avoids direct questions?

Ever notice how Miccolis does?

I do every day.

Careful, Brian...remember that J.P. "serves his country" (by being
a super-special amateur morseman).

If you say nasty to him or Coslo, you will be accused of TRYING
TO DESTROY HAM RADIO!!!! :-)

Heh. All their expertise and "radio operator skills" go in the toilet
when trying to defend the need for morse code testing. They
resort to defamation/denigration/disassembly of those wanting to
eliminate the morse code test, all on the person but not the
subject. QED.

Posted on 16 Jan 05

K4YZ January 17th 05 07:15 AM

Lenof21 wrote:

Heh. All their expertise and "radio operator skills" go in the

toilet
when trying to defend the need for morse code testing. They
resort to defamation/denigration/disassembly of those wanting to
eliminate the morse code test, all on the person but not the
subject. QED.

So far, all of the "defamation" comes from YOU, Lennie...YOU
provide all of the "fuel" for that fire!

So, Mr Professional Radio Engineer...tell us all about the
legalities of operating past the expiration date of the license...You
STILL ahve not acknowledged your error or retracted it. What's your
problem?

Steve, K4YZ

N2EY January 17th 05 03:51 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article , "Kim"
writes:

Uh huh. I did ask. And, you came back with this argument
initially
that--paraphrasing--were you not entitled to your opinion. You
are entitled.

Incorrect. Brian Burke

N0IMD

was specifically talking about those in
here who belong to the "PCTA extra" persuasion and who
continually try to put those who are against the morse code test.

"continually try to put those who are against the morse code test"?
Put them where?

Ever notice how Len avoids direct questions?

N0IMD does too. But he demands that others answer his questions.

Doesn't work that way.

Those "PCTA extras"

Who are they, Len? Specifically? Use callsigns because names aren't
necessarily unique.

Much easier to not put a name or face on the evil "PCTA Extras".
Makes it a lot easier to demonize them.

Very true, Mike.

But I think Len just doesn't like to use our callsigns.

Because I'm a PCTA Extra,(KB3EIA) and so are you,(N2EY) and so is
Dave,(K8MN) and Steve,(K4YZ) and Dan (W4NTI).

And Brian, W3RV. Plus many others, some departed.

Oh yes, and each addition makes it harder to group us as one "type".

(moment of silence for N0BK and W0EX)

Let us also recall that Cecil, W5DXP/W6RCA, was an ardent nocodetest Advanced
here for years. Then, after the 2000 restructuring, he got his
Extra, stopped posting here - and IIRC, renounced his NCI membership
and stated that keeping Element 1 was the right thing to do.

[...]

OTOH, all you have to do is disagree with Len and he'll go berserk...;-)

[...]

I have seen that in action.

[...]

Indeed. As if supporting our troops means the military and the administration
can do no wrong.

Brian Burke served in the
USAF, overseas. I served in the US Army, also overseas, and
specifically in radio communications. It is safe to say that we
are both proud of serving our country.

As you should be. Others feel the same way about *their* military
service, too.

Like in the USCG