Old January 2nd 05, 04:24 PM
Dave Heil

Default Leonard and "bb" refuted

"THE HINDU India's National Newspaper
Thursday, Dec 30, 2004
Hams lend a helping hand.
Amateur ham radio enthusiasts are playing an unusual but important role
in tsunami relief work, reports SHONALI MUTHALALY
When four amateur radio operators headed to the Andaman and Nicobar
islands a few weeks ago, armed with only basic equipment, backpacks and
sun blocks, they had no idea that their fun hobby would soon become the
islands' only lifeline.
"They went because it's a `high value' country for hams (amateur radio
operators) since you need special permission from the Government to
operate there," says Gopal Madhavan, an avid ham and one of the members
of the governing council of the Amateur Radio Society of India. "The
last time a ham operated in the Andamans was about 25 years ago."
The team, which came from across India, left Chennai on December 3 on
their `DXpedition' (basically ham slang for an expedition to any foreign
country). "They met here for a cup of tea before they left... There was
a great amount of enthusiasm," says Gopal, carefully tuning his buzzing
radio, alive with their voices crackling all the way from the islands.
"They went to Port Blair, set up the equipment — all DXpeditions carry
radios and dismantled antennas, which can be set up later with guy
ropes — and contacted about 35,000 hams across the world."
Then, the earthquake began, followed by tidal waves, which swept over
the small islands.
"They were actually in operation when the tremors began. Bharthi, the
team leader, was talking to an Australian on the radio. He says her
voice suddenly rose by a few octaves and she yelled `tremor'. Then, her
radio went dead."
The islands were devastated by the quake and crashing waves. Phones
died, the electricity went out and life in Andaman and Nicobar came to a
stunned halt. On the airwaves too, there was a loud silence, as hams
across the world held their breath, wondering whether the team had
survived. However, about two hours later, unbelievably, they were back
on the air.
"Every other form of communication was down. They were the only link
from the Andamans to the mainland for several hours after the disaster,"
says Gopal, adding that the tsunamis had engulfed the island, paralysing
all machinery and communication systems. The ham radio however, which
was operating from a tower, was in working order, although the team did
have to scavenge for batteries to get it operating again since it had
been running on electricity.
In the tradition of hams, the team stayed on to help, the DXpedition was
converted into an emergency network and hams from across the world,
especially India, swung into action. Two more people headed to the
islands to support the emergency network, and with help from the Indian
Army, which is providing the hams with food, camping and batteries, the
station on Port Blair continues to operate, while another station has
been set up at Car Nicobar, which has been practically obliterated by
the catastrophe."

Dave K8MN
Old January 2nd 05, 08:09 PM
bb

Dave, you'll kindly explain the refutation. And here's your chance to
go on a dxpedition where your skills would be highly valued. But
there's an element of personal danger involved, so nevermind.
Sayonara, bb

Old January 3rd 05, 04:34 AM
Dave Heil

bb wrote:

Dave, you'll kindly explain the refutation. And here's your chance to
go on a dxpedition where your skills would be highly valued. But
there's an element of personal danger involved, so nevermind.
Sayonara, bb

Don't be coy, "bb". Tell us about how all the cell phones don't stop
functioning. Tell us about amateur radio's role in an emergency. I
want to hear once again about how all of the infrastructure is never
destroyed.
The story I posted is in direct conflict with the song sung by you and
your newsgroup mentor.

Dave K8MN
Old January 3rd 05, 08:44 AM

Dave,

Do not bother replying to this clown. He is trolling. I kinda feel
sorry for him anyway, he probably has no hobbies, no culture and likely
no life to speak of.

Lloyd

Old January 4th 05, 02:27 AM
bb

Interesting. Dave trolls, and bb is accused of trolling. Gotta love
the way things work on RRAP.

Old January 16th 05, 09:52 PM
Len Over 21

In article . com, "bb"
writes:

Interesting. Dave trolls, and bb is accused of trolling. Gotta love
the way things work on RRAP.

Brian, this newsgroup be DIFFERENT than any other newsgroup.

Everything gets redefined into what the PCTA extras want. It's
"their" hang-out, "their" little chat room where everything and
anything NOT involving morse code can be talked about, solved,
and all those against the morse code test can be defamed and
denigrated at their pleasure.

The PCTA extras are "superior." They get angry into hissy-fits
when some of us don't kiss their divine I/O ports.

Posted on 16 Jan 05.
Old January 4th 05, 02:23 AM
bb

"""Don't be coy, "bb". Tell us about how all the cell phones don't stop
functioning."""

They don't? Ever???

"""Tell us about amateur radio's role in an emergency."""

They should do whatever they can with whatever they've got.

"""I want to hear once again about how all of the infrastructure is
never
destroyed."""

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Why do you say, "never?"

"""The story I posted is in direct conflict with the song sung by you
and
your newsgroup mentor."""

Dave K8MN

Sorry, David, but I'm not very musical. I did sing "RockyRaccoon" once
after ingesting some bad branch water. I feel much better now.

Old January 16th 05, 09:52 PM
Len Over 21

In article . com, "bb"
writes:

"""Don't be coy, "bb". Tell us about how all the cell phones don't stop
functioning."""

They don't? Ever???

Herr Kommandant lives in an on-off world, either key down or key up.
He can't seem to negotiate understanding the in-between. :-)

"""Tell us about amateur radio's role in an emergency."""

They should do whatever they can with whatever they've got.

Correct. That would be logical.

However, das Kommandant bin a morseman for four decades
and can't understand that the amateurs "will" take over when
the government-commercial infrastructure fails in an emergency.
Some say that the infrastructure "always" fails. :-)

"""I want to hear once again about how all of the infrastructure is
never destroyed."""

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Why do you say, "never?"

Der Kommandant ich bin ****ed, he troll and troll his boot but
all his bouyancy tanks are flooded.

"""The story I posted is in direct conflict with the song sung by you
and
your newsgroup mentor."""

Dave K8MN

Sorry, David, but I'm not very musical. I did sing "RockyRaccoon" once
after ingesting some bad branch water. I feel much better now.

Der Kommandant wants to be Daddy Warbucks and have everyone
sing "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie."

Unfortunately, the sun DID come out, and many years before. But,
struggling to work Frenchmen out of band, he was too busy to
notice.

Und zo, kleine newsgroupies, der Kommandant keeps snarling
black for white all the time as if he were In Charge. He has NO
verification that all amateurs can do as the ARRL states that all
amateurs do, hasn't claimed he has done it hisself, and therefore
tries to shift gears in his own shiftless way by going to extremes.

It's the usual old, tired bull**** by the PCTA extras: Attack the
messenger when they can't send a reply on the subject.

Posted on 16 Jan 05
Old January 17th 05, 04:53 AM
bb

Len Over 21 wrote:
In article . com,

"bb"
writes:

"""Don't be coy, "bb". Tell us about how all the cell phones don't

stop
functioning."""

They don't? Ever???

Herr Kommandant lives in an on-off world, either key down or key

up.
He can't seem to negotiate understanding the in-between. :-)

Yet they obsess over being able to decipher the information contained
in the spaces.

"""Tell us about amateur radio's role in an emergency."""

They should do whatever they can with whatever they've got.

Correct. That would be logical.

However, das Kommandant bin a morseman for four decades
and can't understand that the amateurs "will" take over when
the government-commercial infrastructure fails in an emergency.
Some say that the infrastructure "always" fails. :-)

If they're awake.

"""I want to hear once again about how all of the infrastructure is
never destroyed."""

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Why do you say, "never?"

Der Kommandant ich bin ****ed, he troll and troll his boot but
all his bouyancy tanks are flooded.

He boot get muddy. Muss wear patent leather jackboot.

"""The story I posted is in direct conflict with the song sung by

you
and
your newsgroup mentor."""

Dave K8MN

Sorry, David, but I'm not very musical. I did sing "RockyRaccoon"

once
after ingesting some bad branch water. I feel much better now.

Der Kommandant wants to be Daddy Warbucks and have everyone
sing "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie."

He can want.

Unfortunately, the sun DID come out, and many years before. But,
struggling to work Frenchmen out of band, he was too busy to
notice.

"CQ out of band Frenchmen, CQ out of band Frenchmen, CQ out of band
Frenchmen, this is K8MN, K8MN, K8MN listening on 6 Meters."

Und zo, kleine newsgroupies, der Kommandant keeps snarling
black for white all the time as if he were In Charge. He has NO
verification that all amateurs can do as the ARRL states that all
amateurs do, hasn't claimed he has done it hisself, and therefore
tries to shift gears in his own shiftless way by going to

extremes.

Still ****ed about not being able to rack up 40,000 qso's while in
vietnam.

It's the usual old, tired bull**** by the PCTA extras: Attack the
messenger when they can't send a reply on the subject.

Posted on 16 Jan 05

Miccolis is ignoring the messenger.

Old January 18th 05, 11:20 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article . com, "bb"
writes:

"""Don't be coy, "bb". Tell us about how all the cell phones don't stop
functioning."""

They don't? Ever???

Herr Kommandant lives in an on-off world, either key down or key up.
He can't seem to negotiate understanding the in-between. :-)

Herr Kommandant? Godwin invoked. You lose.
You certainly haven't described me. As one who enjoys playing music,
particularly blues and jazz, I'm quite at home with flatted notes. I
can also tell the subtle differences in a variety of prigs.

"""Tell us about amateur radio's role in an emergency."""

They should do whatever they can with whatever they've got.

Correct. That would be logical.

Quite right, Spock.

However, das Kommandant bin a morseman for four decades
and can't understand that the amateurs "will" take over when
the government-commercial infrastructure fails in an emergency.

Are you certain that the above reads the way you intended?

Some say that the infrastructure "always" fails. :-)

Hardwired communications infrastructure is much more likely to fail.
All cellular phones interface to wire lines at some point.

"""I want to hear once again about how all of the infrastructure is
never destroyed."""

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Why do you say, "never?"

Der Kommandant ich bin ****ed, he troll and troll his boot but
all his bouyancy tanks are flooded.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, Leonard.

[...]

Is this your attempt to appear demented?

It's the usual old, tired bull**** by the PCTA extras: Attack the
messenger when they can't send a reply on the subject.

Excuse me, Leonard, but it certainly looks as if that is precisely what
you have done. My words to "bb" were about a subject. You have drifted
off on a sea of German phrases.

Dave K8MN