RadioBanter

-   -   Content Control (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/28065-content-control.html)

robert casey January 19th 05 10:00 PM

Phil Kane wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:32:49 GMT, Dave Heil wrote:

I wanna know how your new career as henchman is working out? Does a
henchman gig pay well?

Depends on the size of the hench one uses....

I guess that I missed my career. I shouda' been a warlord instead
of a henchman. Whenever I hear "warlord" in a news broadcast I
flash on the character in "Terry and the Pirates" with the pigtail
and headband swinging a hatchet....

I've heard that Genghus Kong rode a Harley......

Steveo January 19th 05 10:05 PM

"N8WWM Doug Adair Psychiatrist to keyclowns"
wrote:
If you need to hear your voice try a tape recorder.

They taped you the last time you made the rain report for jamming
repeaters, you loser felon freak.

Dave Heil January 20th 05 02:33 AM

Todd Daugherty wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Todd Daugherty wrote:

"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...

So why are you broadcasting on a dead band?

I'm "broadcasting" on a dead band so not to cause harmful

interference.

Aside from hams within about 50 miles of you, who's
gonna be able to hear it? Still say the Internet is
a better tool for this....

Well so could amateur radio.

So could amateur radio what?

All amateurs should move to the internet

For what possible purpose? The internet isn't amateur radio.

Let's get rid of amateur radio all together and
all go to the internet.

Why should we do that?

Because someone said I should have my information bulletin on the web. Since
that's the solution then maybe we should ALL go the web and the FCC auction
off all the spectrum we have.

No, Todd. The suggestion was for you and others who want to play "boy
broadcaster".

All the stuff the amateur do can all be done on the
internet.

Really? I don't believe you. Can I work meteor scatter on the
internet?
Can I work 160m DXCC on the internet? Can I use the internet in an
emergency when the phone lines are down?

With the advancement of the internet with BPL and wireless. I'm sure some
moron will come up with a way so the internet will remain on while
phonelines are down.

That's pretty unlikely. Not only do the phones go out in summer and
winter storms here, often the power goes with it. Not all of us live in
cities, Todd.

The majority of amateur don't contest.

Where was anything written about contesting?

I sure all the amateur bands could be used for another service.

"I sure" they could be too. Why would they be?

well like I said the solution as one person put it is to put stuff like
information bulletins on the internet.

I'm not promulgating information bulletins. I suppose that means I'll
stick to the ham bands.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 20th 05 02:58 AM

Todd Daugherty wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Todd Daugherty wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Todd Daugherty wrote:

Content Control
I had recently started broadcasting my N9OGL Show on 28.555 MHz at

9.00
pm
CST. On my first broadcast I talked about content control in the

amateur
radio service. Amateur Radio is on the eve of dying;

You've provided no evidence that amateur radio is dying.

Ham radio in about 10 to 15 years will be dead because technology and

the
free flow of content will surpass amateur radio.

You've still provided no evidence that amateur radio is dying, Todd.

Well Dave where or should I say what do you see amateur's doing in 10 to
15???

I don't know about all of them, Todd, but I'll likely be doing the same
or similar things to those I'm doing now. Did you mean minutes or
years?

Me, I think if ham radio is still around it will be the same old
boring **** that has been going on these last 20 to 25 years.

If you find amateur radio boring, try something new. Take up PSK-31 or
ATV. Brush up on your CW skills. Homebrew some projects or a linear
amp.
Experiment with antennas. If that doesn't work, find a new hobby--maybe
Part 15 broadcaster.

Here's
something to think about why should someone get a ham license when you can
talk all over the world on the internet?

I can talk all over the world on a telephone or cellular phone too. Why
would I want to do that? If you find chatting via internet fascinating,
take it up for yourself. Don't try to convince me that it is what I
want to do.

"Hello? Djarkarta? This is Dave in West Virginia. What's the weather
like over there?"

Why will amateur radio die?

You haven't yet made a case that it is dying.

because
technology is passing ham radio up and I know you old ham operator don't
want it hear it.

Why? Because technology isn't passing it up? I'm using Buck Rogers
stuff in the shack now that wasn't dreamed of ten years ago. It didn't
exist on the market until a couple of years ago. The specs are better
than any government-owned radio equipment I used over an entire
Department of State career.

But the reality is ham radio is getting to the point were
it is no longer really needed.

....by you.

No matter what you might think that's a reality.

It does matter what I think. You've still provided no evidence to
support your claim.

Like I said why should someone spend the time and money to talk to some
moron on the radio when they can do it on the internet???

If talking to morons is your game, I say it doesn't matter how or where
you do it.

If you were go on
the streets and ask people what would they do. Get a ham license or get on
the internet the majority would say internet.

And? That sounds like, "But Dad, all the kids are getting one"!
As my Pop used to say, "If all the kids had horse **** sandwiches, would
you want one"?

No matter how easy the FCC
makes the licensing process ham radio will not continue to grow unless
changes are made. Those changes are technology, and content .

You can't believe how silly that sounds, Todd.

Amateurs seem to believe that amateur radio should
be the idle dribble we call amateur radio.

For God's sake, Todd, the word is "drivel" and I don't see your
"broadcast" as being better stuff.

You've never hear my broadcast therefor you can't justify that statement.

I've read your stuff here, Todd. You're semi-literate at best. If I
add that to your uninformed views, I can't find much to entice me into
listening to your "broadcast". I'd just as soon listen to guys
comparing notes on non-functioning body parts on 75m.

For amateur radio to grow
amateurs are going to have to change. Amateur radio has to look at the
future and not the short term future.

So the future is that we should all become micro-broadcasters on dead
bands?

No, and I information bulletins are legal

Why, then, have you been writing about broadcasts?

So, we're not discussing the content of an amateur radio station but of
the content of individuals? What do you, K1MAN and the Liberty Net
contain? Seriously, Todd, I think that if the FCC is going after you,
K1MAN and the Liberty Net, it is doing something right.

Well, like I've stated before perhaps W1AW should be shut down too.

W1AW isn't breaking the regs.

There are many in the ARRL
which believes that Free Speech doesn't apply to amateur radio.

Are you speaking of Directors? staffers? members? Who in the ARRL who
don't believe such?

Phil Kane Dec 22 2004, 12:02 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy
From: "Phil Kane" - Find messages by
this author
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:02:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The FCC Break their own rules
original | Report Abuse

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:11:04 -0600, Todd Daugherty wrote:

I hear all this crap about K1MAN violating the FCC rules but the FCC
violates their own rules..

Sec. 326. - Censorship

Nothing in this chapter shall be understood or construed to give the
Commission the power of censorship over the radio communications or signals
transmitted by any radio station, and no regulation or condition shall be
promulgated or fixed by the Commission which shall interfere with the right
of free speech by means of radio communication

(a) it's not an FCC rule and is open to court interpretation.

(b) look up the case law based on that section and see why there is
no "free speech" right in an amateur license.

--
Phil Kane

And you believe that Phil Kane works for the ARRL?

First off my "broadcast" are programs directed towards the amateurs

radio
community.

If they're "broadcasts", it doesn't matter.

The problem with information bulletin and broadcasts is the grey line
between them.

What's the gray line?

Not much of the public is listening to amateur radio. Almost no one is
listening to 10m when the band is closed.

Not true there are a lot of the public listening to amateur radio, more then
what you think.

But you just told us that amateur radio is dying. Now you'd have us
believe that large segments of the public are playing SWL on a dead 10m
band in the late evening?

I picked that band so not to cause harmful interference or
have some licensed CB Operator aka ham operator claiming they were on
frequency and I was causing interference.

You're a regular rocket scientist.

And with you and the ARRL by his side Free Speech will be supressed.

Suppressed? I don't think so. Controlled? Yes. What is it that you
don't feel you can do on the air as a ham, Todd? Is it that you can't
use potty language, or that you can't make money or that you can't play
music?

I don't use obscene and indecent material on the air nor do I play music or
make money.

Let me ask the question again: What is it that you don't feel you can
do on the air as a ham, Todd? What kinds of things would you air over
your station which the FCC says you can't now do?

Dave K8MN

[email protected] January 20th 05 05:20 PM

Phil Kane wrote:
On 18 Jan 2005 21:23:35 -0800, wrote:

Depends on the size of the hench one uses....

A size nine hench seems to work best for me in most venues. But a

size
twelve hench seems to work better when dealing with twistoids like

this
Daugherty thing.

Set at how many figs per newton?

HooBoy, I haven't dealt with this one for eons. My set of henches is
calibrated in the old units, was made before they switched to figs per
newtons and I forget the conversion factors. Something like three figs
per date and two newtons per wench so I've been using dates per wench.
I'll look it up and get back to you.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

w3rv