Old January 19th 05, 03:43 PM
Mike Coslo

Default Morse key/keyer question (OT)

Hey all,

I'm having an situation with my Keyer/Key setup.

Every once in a while, I'll get a double when I shouldn't. It's usually
on the dit side.

The key is a home-brew Iambic. The radio is an IC-745. THe contacts have
been cleaned, to no avail.

Anyone have a similar situation or know if this may have been an issue
with the 745? I'm going to try a few experiments, but any help is
appreciated.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 20th 05, 03:16 PM
bb

Mike Coslo wrote:
Hey all,

I'm having an situation with my Keyer/Key setup.

Every once in a while, I'll get a double when I shouldn't. It's

usually
on the dit side.

The key is a home-brew Iambic. The radio is an IC-745. THe contacts

have
been cleaned, to no avail.

Anyone have a similar situation or know if this may have been an

issue
with the 745? I'm going to try a few experiments, but any help is
appreciated.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, that only goes to show that you just can't rely on that
new-fangled stuff. What if Paul Revere were waiting for the signal,
"One if by land, Two if by sea," and you sent him a double instead of a
single. American history would have been changed. Stick to manually
formed dits and dahs.

Old January 20th 05, 03:55 PM
Mike Coslo

bb wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

[...]

hehe, shows the importance of having working equipment, eh?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 20th 05, 04:40 PM
Caveat Lector

I have that problem occaisionally with a bencher single paddle key
and increasing the spacing between the points and adding a little more
spring tension solves the problem.

I like the contact spacing paper thin, but when it is too thin -- may cause
a double bounce.

Yes Bencher does make a single paddle key -- looks like the Iambic with two
paddles -- but functions as a single paddle key.

The ST Series
--
Caveat Lector

Someone wrote

Old January 21st 05, 01:51 AM
Mike Coslo

Caveat Lector wrote:

I have that problem occaisionally with a bencher single paddle key
and increasing the spacing between the points and adding a little more
spring tension solves the problem.

I'll try that. There is an adjustment spring, but perhaps it is a
little weak and should be replaced.

I like the contact spacing paper thin, but when it is too thin -- may cause
a double bounce.

Yes Bencher does make a single paddle key -- looks like the Iambic with two
paddles -- but functions as a single paddle key.

That sort of key sounds logical to me. Although I'm starting to "get"
the Iambic, it still seems a little strange. I should probable see if I
et a little better before switching again.

Thanks, Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 21st 05, 03:39 AM
Caveat Lector

Most of the CW ops I know prefer the Iambic keys.

I just spent many hours on a Navy straight key so kept with what felt
comfortable.

--
Caveat Lector

Old January 22nd 05, 02:23 AM
bb

Mike Coslo wrote:
Caveat Lector wrote:

I have that problem occaisionally with a bencher single paddle key
and increasing the spacing between the points and adding a little

more
spring tension solves the problem.

I'll try that. There is an adjustment spring, but perhaps it is a
little weak and should be replaced.

I like the contact spacing paper thin, but when it is too thin --

may cause
a double bounce.

Yes Bencher does make a single paddle key -- looks like the Iambic

with two
paddles -- but functions as a single paddle key.

That sort of key sounds logical to me. Although I'm starting to

"get"
the Iambic, it still seems a little strange. I should probable see if

et a little better before switching again.

Thanks, Mike KB3EIA -

Indeed they are strange. That's why I'm not big on lambics, but I do
enjoy a trappist on ocassion. My preferences lean toward wheats and
pales, and kolsch if I want a lager.

Morse Code: One Wonders... and Begins to Think ! [ -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ] RHF Shortwave 0 January 5th 04 02:49 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Some comments on the NCVEC petition D. Stussy Policy 13 August 5th 03 04:23 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM