Old February 13th 05, 04:20 AM
Caveat Lector

Default Is Morse Code Dead??

If you think or assume so, better read URL:
http://mars.comportco.com/~w5alt/cw-dead.html

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Old February 13th 05, 07:24 AM
Buck

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:20:48 -0800, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

If you think or assume so, better read URL:
http://mars.comportco.com/~w5alt/cw-dead.html

Howdee Caveat,

That was an interesting article. I am more pro-CW than not but I
can't take the results of those surveys as being very accurate. They
were done by the ARRL on their website so it was limited to those who
visit the League site. Most of those visitors will be League members
(I am one) which consists heavily of contesters (occasionally I
contest, but not often.) So the survey only consists of internet
users that visit the ARRL site. There are very many rag-chewers that
may not visit the League's site or contest.

That being said, I don't believe CW is dead and like the article said,
I don't think code-free amateurs will be the death of Amateur Radio.
I have known many hams that only wanted to play with V/UHF and never
progressed past Tech for that reason. I also know many Amateur Extra
Class hams that used to play on HF that are now exclusively on V/Uhf
or satellite. It is all in the amateur's preference.

It isn't my intent to argue the code vs no code issue or to disagree
with the gist of the article. I am just voicing my opinion about the
accuracy of the survey results.

Thanks for the link. I was interesting reading.

Buck
N4PGW

Buck
--