Old March 26th 05, 01:34 AM
GeorgeF

Default How to deal with SSB in the 40 mtr CW band

How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is
showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is
more SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB
portion of the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love
CW, don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid
$1800 for a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able to
use it for what I bought it for this weekend...

Help
George
Old March 26th 05, 03:17 AM
Dee Flint

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
.net...
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is
showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is more
SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB portion of
the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love CW,
don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid $1800 for
a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able to use it for
what I bought it for this weekend...

Help
George

For the 40m band, the rest of the world has very different allocations from
the US. They are (for now) limited to 7.100 and below. However over the
next several years, they will be allowed to go up to 7.200.

What this means is that they other regions of the world operate SSB where we
are limited to CW. Most of the time this isn't a problem but there are
about 4 weekends per year where they do pretty much occupy the band.

If you look around though, there will still be CW ops down in the 40m CW to
work. Or try the old Novice portion from 7.100 to 7.150 as some of the
FISTS members monitor a frequency in their (check the FISTS website for
exact frequency) and you can pick up a ragchew there.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 26th 05, 03:20 AM
Mr. Obvious

Set "VFO A" to RX below 7100; tune around for contesters...

Set "VFO B" to TX on whatever frequency above 7150 that the contester
announces he or she listening to...

Plug in mic and have at it.

My favorite solution - assuming that you have priviledges there - is to
switch to one of the WARC bands and have a go. No contesting on those
bands, and ops who are fed up with the QRM a contest creates will head
there in search of a QSO of more than 15 seconds duration...

Old March 26th 05, 05:36 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

GeorgeF wrote:

How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is
showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is
more SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB
portion of the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love
CW, don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid
$1800 for a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able to
use it for what I bought it for this weekend...

Help
George

OK, so it is a contest week-end, by the beginnig of the week it will be
over, I heard some VE stations in the US 40 meter CW allocation, they
have a right to operate there on SSB, so relax and operate another mode
for the week-end, your rig and you will both survive if you don't get to
operate on CW for one week-end.

Old March 26th 05, 06:41 AM
K4YZ

GeorgeF wrote:
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is

showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is

more SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB
portion of the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love

CW, don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid
$1800 for a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able

use it for what I bought it for this weekend...

I'd take the radio back to the store. If all those filters and DSP
aren't allowing you to carry on a QSO, I'd get rid of it.

73

Steve, K4YZ
(Also A CW Op)

Old March 26th 05, 03:12 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
.net...
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is
showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is more
SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB portion of
the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love CW,
don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid $1800 for
a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able to use it for
what I bought it for this weekend...

Help
George

A good CW operator can and does work through any and all QRM. Keep at it.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 26th 05, 03:14 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

GeorgeF wrote:
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is

showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is

more SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB
portion of the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love

CW, don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid
$1800 for a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able

use it for what I bought it for this weekend...

I'd take the radio back to the store. If all those filters and DSP
aren't allowing you to carry on a QSO, I'd get rid of it.

73

Steve, K4YZ
(Also A CW Op)

I run my rig a 2.1 khz. That way I don't miss nothing.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 26th 05, 03:25 PM
Caveat Lector

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
k.net...

A good CW operator can and does work through any and all QRM. Keep at it.
Dan/W4NTI

Indeed Dan, using the best filter ever devised -- one's brain.

CL - I filter, therefore I am

Old March 27th 05, 06:14 AM

Caveat Lector wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
k.net...

A good CW operator can and does work through any and all QRM. Keep

at it.
Dan/W4NTI

Indeed Dan, using the best filter ever devised -- one's brain.

CL - I filter, therefore I am

AMEN Brother!

.. . Given an engaged brain SSB signals become just another piece of the
usual collection of ignorable crud any even half-decent low-band CW op
can copy thru. THAT's the beauty of CW in a nutshell.

w3rv

Old March 27th 05, 07:06 AM

GeorgeF wrote:
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is

showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is

more SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB
portion of the band. What gives with this?

It's the CQ WW SSB WPX contest weekend and all hell has broken loose
worldwide. It'll go away at zero Zulu Sunday nite. In the meanwhile go
diddle on 30M to get away from 'em.

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love

CW, don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid
$1800 for a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able

use it for what I bought it for this weekend...

Help

The Field comes with factory-supplied 250 & 500 Hz filters of unknown
parentage. You should be able to cut down the SSB sigs to something
close to a survivable level with either. Maybe. But I dunno. I've never
listened with a Field. But for certain they're not the best filters out
there by any means. Click into:

http://www.qth.com/inrad/yae_menu.htm

For some really good CW filters for your Field. The 400 Hz 703-C is a
good compromise between "SSB crud reduction" and missing ops calling
you. I have it's equivalent in my little $1,250 FT-847 crapper and it
WORKs. Take it to the next level and get yourself one of INRAD's 250 Hz
704-C filters. Might be a bit too narrow though. To each their own.

You're new and in the right direction. Stick with it George, you're on
a very steep slope of a learning curve (assuming you're not just
another troll of course). It'll all come together eventually.

George

w3rv