Old March 29th 05, 03:38 PM
Jim

Default Question for N8UZE

Is 10 meters in the HF portion? If it is then what is wrong with this
picture?
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/03/28/2/?nc=1

Old March 29th 05, 04:26 PM
K4YZ

Jim wrote:
Is 10 meters in the HF portion? If it is then what is wrong with this

picture?
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/03/28/2/?nc=1

I'm certainly not Dee, but I was trying to figure out where you
might be going with this, espeically since I couldn't find any
reference to 10 meters in the article.

However I think the article itself is misleading and will
misdirect potential HF operators.

I realize the INTENT was to provide some encouragement to those
who might be interested in HF operating but are intimidated by the
Morse Code exam.

The PROBLEM, however, is that when you approach ANY learning curve
with the idea that "I only need to know 'this much' to pass", you
usually wind up having to spend even more time IN the training curve
because you wind up having to re-do a lot to get to where it is you
want to be.

There has to be a dozen different learning "systems" out there to
learn Morse Code...One of them is going to work "for you"...Just sit
down, devote some effort to it, and get it done. Trying to "get by"
with only half or less of what you need to know, Morse Code or any
other topic, will just leave you ill-prepared, frustrated and short of
your goal.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 29th 05, 04:50 PM
Jim

K4YZ wrote:

Jim wrote:

[...]

I don't know where I was going with 10 meters either, talking before I
think.
This is what I saw that was wrong.
" In the United States the General class license is the minimum
requirement for an amateur to have HF privileges."
Novice and Tech plus both have HF privileges, don't they still?
Maybe because of 10 meter voice was my reference to 10 meters, I don't
remember why I said that? Brain farct, doing too many things at once,
operating appliances, oops there goes the toaster.

Old March 29th 05, 04:57 PM
K4YZ

Jim wrote:

I don't know where I was going with 10 meters either, talking

before I
think.
This is what I saw that was wrong.
" In the United States the General class license is the minimum
requirement for an amateur to have HF privileges."
Novice and Tech plus both have HF privileges, don't they still?

Yes Sir...they still do...The author might have made some comment
acknowledging that.

See what I mean about cutting corners? The author didn't mention
that currently licensed Novices and Techs with 5WPM have access to 10M
and it brought a bit of confusion with it!

Maybe because of 10 meter voice was my reference to 10 meters, I

don't
remember why I said that? Brain farct, doing too many things at once,

operating appliances, oops there goes the toaster.

Like the 'toasters' on the new "Battlestar Gallactica"...?!?! =)

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 29th 05, 05:19 PM
Jim

K4YZ wrote:

Jim wrote:

[...]

Like the toaster is one of the appliances I operate!

Speaking of appliance operaters, this is a nice looking Danish made
appliance, just a strange color.
http://www.danamps.com/dual_band.htm

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 30th 05, 12:17 AM
Dee Flint

"Jim" wrote in message
Is 10 meters in the HF portion? If it is then what is wrong with this
picture?
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/03/28/2/?nc=1

Actually he is overlooking the Tech with code who is then allowed to access
10m voice, 10m cw, 15m cw, 40m cw, and 80m cw.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 30th 05, 12:22 AM
Dee Flint

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim wrote:
[...]

The author of the article made a major error in that he stated General is
required for HF where as in reality, Techs with code have CW on several
bands plus voice on 10meter.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 30th 05, 01:21 AM
Dee Flint

"Jim" wrote in message
Is 10 meters in the HF portion? If it is then what is wrong with this
picture?
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/03/28/2/?nc=1

I zipped the author off an email after reading it and he has already
acknowledged it and thanked me for the feedback.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 30th 05, 01:22 AM
Dee Flint

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim wrote:
[...]

OOPS! I forgot about the Novices.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 30th 05, 01:26 AM
Jim

Dee Flint wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

Is 10 meters in the HF portion? If it is then what is wrong with this
picture?
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/03/28/2/?nc=1

Actually he is overlooking the Tech with code who is then allowed to access
10m voice, 10m cw, 15m cw, 40m cw, and 80m cw.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

That's what I thought, as well as some still existing Novice class. And
I guess thats why I thought of 10 meters, Novice and Tech both have
voice, I wasn't thinking about all the cw segments they have.
Thanks

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM