Old May 24th 05, 06:28 PM
Michael Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"bb" wrote

Hopefully Robeson doesn't pop in here and tell us they
were selling "something."

The correct terminology according to K4YZ is "Musta beem selling SOMEthing!". I
don't know how you "beem" sell SOMEthing, but I'm sure "Steve" (alias for K4YZ)
will provide a weasel-worded explanation.

dit dit
(Note Farnsworth spacing)

HAH! Two digs with one post, Good one Hans. Just goes to show that no
subject ever dies on rrap, they just keep getting recycled.... ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 25th 05, 06:36 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:14:05 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

Which is ... ????

Jim

if they want to get young Hams in to the hobby they need to wake up and
show them what Ham Radio has to offer that they CAN'T get using the
Internet and a cell phone.

For one thing rebuilding a wireless network in this country. In some
areas, like Detroit, packet is nearly dead. I use computers a lot, I have
4 on my private home network now running several different operating
systems, and I would love to be able to setup several servers without
having to worry about my ISP threatening to cancel my service for doing do.

Using modified WiFi gear, or the Icom D-Star system, would give many Hams
speeds much faster that you can get using just dial up, and many Hams
still use dial up because they can't get DSL or Broadband at their home.

Then there is nothing like having communications that doesn't die when you
you need it most, and doesn't come with a monthly bill. I was on the air
back when we had the great north east black out several years ago. When a
lot of people couldn't get through using their cell phone because the
system crapped out or was simply over loaded. I also know of several Hams
who will not get cell phones for their older kids because of the cost of
the bills. It was cheaper in the long run to get some low end VHF HT's,
get his kids licensed, and had them use the radios when they need to talk
to them. As much as teenagers like to gab among themselves I think getting
them HT's instead of cell phones would work out much better, it's like one
big party line, and they don't have to worry about air time minutes.

And that's just a couple.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO
Old May 25th 05, 06:42 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:26:31 -0400, Michael Coslo wrote:

Leland C. Scott wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:01:36 -0700, bb wrote:

ICOM had Very YL's in bathrobes and slippers.

I saw that and I don't know what the point was they were trying to make.

Didn't see that. But as a Japanese owned company, they have a different
culture, and some of the things they do might seem a little different to us.

Yup... that seems different!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Well all of the people there, at the Hamvention, were American. I wonder
if the girls were some of their kids and that was a way to take them along
and have Icom foot the bill?

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Old May 25th 05, 10:49 PM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:
"bb" wrote

Hopefully Robeson doesn't pop in here and tell us they
were selling "something."

The correct terminology according to K4YZ is "Musta beem selling SOMEthin=

g!". I
don't know how you "beem" sell SOMEthing, but I'm sure "Steve" (alias for=

K4YZ)
will provide a weasel-worded explanation.

dit dit
(Note Farnsworth spacing)

de Hans, K0HB

Farnsworth, Yikes!

I'm fairly certain that's why I didn't become a General class in 1987.

Speaking of weasel-worded explanations from Steve, I'm still waiting
for an explanation why he has posted my house number here?

Old May 26th 05, 01:00 AM
Roger

"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Farnsworth, Yikes!

I'm fairly certain that's why I didn't become a General class in 1987.

Speaking of weasel-worded explanations from Steve, I'm still waiting
for an explanation why he has posted my house number here?

That was so we may all send you Get Well cards.

Old May 26th 05, 12:08 PM
Dee Flint

"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Leland C. Scott wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:01:36 -0700, bb wrote:

ICOM had Very YL's in bathrobes and slippers.

I saw that and I don't know what the point was they were trying to
make.

Didn't see that. But as a Japanese owned company, they have a different
culture, and some of the things they do might seem a little different
to us.

Yup... that seems different!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Well all of the people there, at the Hamvention, were American.

Maybe not. I heard one old couple speaking German.

And I saw several people wearing hats/badges/etc from various European
countries.

I wonder
if the girls were some of their kids and that was a way to take them
along
and have Icom foot the bill?

Nobody gets it. They should hire a USA advertising firm and run that
sort of thing past them first.

I'd agree with that.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 26th 05, 03:49 PM
RST Engineering

Are you kidding? They've gotten more ink in this newsgroup than any of the
other vendors. I'd say the ploy worked.

Jim

Old May 26th 05, 07:35 PM
Leland C. Scott

Leland C. Scott wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:01:36 -0700, bb wrote:

ICOM had Very YL's in bathrobes and slippers.

I saw that and I don't know what the point was they were trying to make.

Didn't see that. But as a Japanese owned company, they have a different
culture, and some of the things they do might seem a little different to us.

Yup... that seems different!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Well all of the people there, at the Hamvention, were American.

Maybe not. I heard one old couple speaking German.

I was talking about the people running the Icom booth.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Old May 26th 05, 07:40 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:49:25 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

Are you kidding? They've gotten more ink in this newsgroup than any of the
other vendors. I'd say the ploy worked.

Yeah, negative advertising, they look like cheapskates compared to
Kenwood and Icom, Yaesu couldn't even donate a cheap HT.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO
Old May 27th 05, 02:18 AM
bb

Leland C. Scott wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:49:25 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

Are you kidding? They've gotten more ink in this newsgroup than any of the
other vendors. I'd say the ploy worked.

Yeah, negative advertising, they look like cheapskates compared to
Kenwood and Icom, Yaesu couldn't even donate a cheap HT.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ICOM had the Very YL's in bathrobes.