Old June 5th 05, 03:29 AM
John Smith

Mike:

That would really be funny--if it wasn't so pathetic...
How about a few calculus questions on the test, how about having to
write short story with grammar, spelling and punctuation correct. How
about having to give a description of the physics of the electron-hole
theory, argument at to why the theory should be considered valid, and an
opposing argument on why it should be considered flawed. How about
demonstrating how the quadratic formula relates to thermal physics,
electrical physics--some examples of its' uses in both...
Gesus, the ham exams are for dummies... get real...
When the hams talk about how difficult the test EVER was it is a joke,
the damn test can be passed by any second year college student after a
day of study... you guys end up describing the size of your own mind
when you do this--and still after all these years you have not figured
it out--people laugh--haven't you seen them laughing before, surely you
caught one or two out of the corner of your eye?
Wake up... the only reason people don't rub your nose in your own dog
poop is they are not like you--they have been raised differently--they
try to be nice no matter what... but there is an end to tolerance of bad
behavior...

John
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Look at the old ham mags and other publications (ARRL
and non-ARRL, doesn't matter as long as it was a ham-
oriented publication) of the
so-called golden years of, say, the '50s. Back when we had
annual growth of about 8% year after year. They *weren't*
specifically aimed at "young'uns". The license requirements
*weren't* reduced (as NCVEC and others want to do) to make
the tests easier for kids to pass. The "Beginner And Novice"
columns weren't aimed at teenagers or any other age group.
And that may be a big part of what made them so attractive
to kids!

Let us assume that a company makes a video game. It's pretty popular
and sells a lot.

They would like to sell more.

Should they make their next game really easy? Will millions more
teenagers buy the game because they can beat the game the first time
they play it?

Do they want to make it so hard that it is impossible to beat?

BTW, the answer is no on both counts. People who would play video
games do not buy games that are too easy to beat. Nor too hard.

Comparisons to the ease or difficulty of the ARS licensing process are
invited.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 5th 05, 06:09 PM

3) The ARS has the image of an "old white guy's hobby" in some
circles.

In a *lot* of circles and they're basically right.
This phenomenon is a
result of evolutionary forces at work within
the hobby. There are two
choices he Go with the obvious flow and
accept where Mother Nature
is leading us and take advantage of it -OR- fight
Mother which is
always a losing battle and try to keep applying the
mores, values and
expectations of the yesteryears when we came into
the hobby50, 30 even
20 years ago.

Actually I we should go back to those "mores, values and
expectations of the yesteryears"

Liked that one dinya? Heh.

"Going back" ain't gonna happen but let's not dig this one up for the
umpteenth time.

- in a way.

Look at the old ham mags and other publications (ARRL
and non-ARRL, doesn't matter as long as it was a ham-
oriented publication) of the
so-called golden years of, say, the '50s. Back when we had
annual growth of about 8% year after year. They *weren't*
specifically aimed at "young'uns".

Kids in that timeframe lived in the remnants of the old "children
should be seen and not heard" mindset. Unless some publication was
somehow directly related to school classwork it was written for adults.
Particulary if there was any technical content and the ARRL followed
suite.

The license requirements
*weren't* reduced (as NCVEC and others want to do) to make
the tests easier for kids to pass.

Of course not, no more so than the state made it easier for kids to get
drivers licenses. For the same underlying regulatory reasons.

The "Beginner And Novice"
columns weren't aimed at teenagers or any other age group.
And that may be a big part of what made them so attractive
to kids!

Nah, never entered our minds. Ham radio was an adult hobby and we
accepted it. Period. We were used to having to read at the adult level
when it came to technical publications, there were no options, we
didn't know the difference. There were beginners publications in some
hobby fields but I don't remember any in ham radio and they were all
written for adults. In another direction kid hams were a tiny and
poverty-struck book and magazine market, there's no money in a market
like that so nobody wrote for specifically for us. In yet another
direction all the kid hams I knew had adult-level reading skills by the
time they were twelve or so and wouldn't have bothered with being
spoon-fed kiddie sorts of writings even if they were available.

If it's a numbers game why not shift gears and
recruit retirees instead of chasing kids?

That's been going on for a couple decades now.

Don't agree. Point out one example of a formal effort to
consciously
recruit older folk. Which is like all the widely publicized (and
generally failed) programs which have been targeting kids over
the years.

See above - I'm thinking the trick is to *not* target *any* age
group.

Standard Motherhood is always the "safe approach" snore.

73 de Jim, N2EY

w3rv

Old June 5th 05, 07:28 PM

[...]

Bingo - why can't that be the way things are again?

The license requirements
*weren't* reduced (as NCVEC and others want to do) to make
the tests easier for kids to pass.

Of course not, no more so than the state made it easier
for kids to get
drivers licenses. For the same underlying regulatory reasons.

Yet there were plenty of "young'uns". Which proves my point,
thanks.

The "Beginner And Novice"
columns weren't aimed at teenagers or any other age group.
And that may be a big part of what made them so attractive
to kids!

Nah, never entered our minds.

Not consciously.

Ham radio was an adult hobby and we
accepted it. Period.

'zactly. If ya wanted to be part of it you met the standards
for it. Watta concept, huh? Somebody tell NCVEC.

We were used to having to read at the adult level
when it came to technical publications, there were no
options, we
didn't know the difference. There were beginners
publications in some
hobby fields but I don't remember any in ham radio

"How To Become A Radio Amateur"
"Learning The Radiotelegraph Code"
"Understanding Amateur Radio"
"So You Want To Be A Ham"
"ABC's of Hma Radio"

and they were all
written for adults.

BINGO!

In another direction kid hams were a tiny and
poverty-struck book and magazine market, there's no
money in a market
like that so nobody wrote for specifically for us.
In yet another
direction all the kid hams I knew had adult-level
reading skills by the
time they were twelve or so and wouldn't have bothered
with being
spoon-fed kiddie sorts of writings even if they were available.

All those basic factors are the same today.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 5th 05, 07:46 PM
John Smith

.... yeah, in other words, let's just kick back, have a drink and see if
this all pans out--hell, these oldsters just may pull off what they have
planned and live forever--then again, we should be prepared if not...

Warmest regards,
John
oups.com...

Old June 6th 05, 02:55 AM

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:

Look at the old ham mags and other publications (ARRL
and non-ARRL, doesn't matter as long as it was a ham-
oriented publication) of the
so-called golden years of, say, the '50s. Back when we had
annual growth of about 8% year after year. They *weren't*
specifically aimed at "young'uns". The license requirements
*weren't* reduced (as NCVEC and others want to do) to make
the tests easier for kids to pass. The "Beginner And Novice"
columns weren't aimed at teenagers or any other age group.
And that may be a big part of what made them so attractive
to kids!

Let us assume that a company makes a video game. It's pretty
popular and sells a lot.

They would like to sell more.

Should they make their next game really easy?

Of course not.

Will millions more
teenagers buy the game because they can beat the game
the first time they play it?

If anything, that will cause the game to be unpopular
because it presents no challenge and requires no skill.

Do they want to make it so hard that it is impossible to beat?

Probably not.

BTW, the answer is no on both counts. People who would
play video games
do not buy games that are too easy to beat. Nor too hard.

Comparisons to the ease or difficulty of the ARS
licensing process are invited.

Some points:

1) Amateur radio is not a video game. It's much more complex
than that.

2) Anybody can buy a video game - all you need is cash. And if
you're satisfied to play older games, they can often be had
for very little money, or even free.

The need for skill comes only when you go to play the game.

3) The tests for an amateur radio license in the USA have varied
in the degree and types of knowledge required. (Skills are a type of
knowledge). But they have never required a very high level of
knowledge to pass. And the licenses have been earned by people of
all ages and all walks of life.

4) Reducing the license test requirements has not brought sustained
growth to US amateur radio.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 6th 05, 03:02 AM
John Smith

The only way I could think you could reduce the number of games
sold/played on computers is to make the kids get a license before they
can have a computer. Now the test could be pretty damn complicate, but
if you require them to pass a 50 wpm typing test the numbers will
drop... now consider that they will view having to learn code for a
license as totally preposterous and you are close to getting a clue...

It is the code, not the exam...

John

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 6th 05, 03:48 AM
Mike Coslo

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Go back, re-read my post, and then tell me just what I wrote.

Then let me know if I wrote anything along the lines of what you just
tried to slippery-slope my post into.

Some things to point out are the parts where I am suggesting making the
tests quite difficult.

My tolerance has not been exceeded. You may wish to continue the canine
excrement comments at will.

- Mike KB3EIA -

John

Old June 6th 05, 03:51 AM
Mike Coslo

bb wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Now if they were to make a game that you weren't allowed to play until
you could beat it, your analogy would be closer to amateur reality.

Beating the game would be a little like passing the test.

I thought I was arguing for a middle of the road difficulty test. "John
Smith" seems to think otherwise.

- Mike KB3EIA -