Old May 29th 05, 12:42 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Why not more young'uns in Ham radio

Many people lament that there is not enough interest in Ham radio by
young people.

There are often many reasons given for this deficiency, and somewhat
less "fixes".

One of the reasons that is given very often is that Amateur radio is in
some sort of competition with the Internet. Let us look at this theory.

What is the competition between the two? In order to use the internet,
one must of course have a computer. It must be connected to the
internet, through one of several methods. Once the person has learned to
turn on the computer, open a few programs or so, they have the
necessary skills to work the internet.

Amateur radio on the other hand, requires that a radio be used, which
requires some skill in operating. An antenna system needs to be
connected to this radio. Whereas it is possible to have everything set
up for the Ham, most young people do not have the resources to have
someone set up their system. Coupled with the possibility of putting an
antenna in operation that only costs a few dollars, or even less if the
youngster has good scrounging skills, the likelihood is that they would
design and put up their own antenna, another skill needed.

So there is a large difference in the skills needed for the two hobbies.

Cell phones as competition? While there is a temptation to snipe "Get
Real!", I'll address those too.

What would make a person decide to take up Cell phone use as a hobby?
Cell phones allow you to talk to people that you know (for the most
part) and operate in the same manner as a regular telephone, save that
you take the cell with you, and you are generally tied in the same
building with a standard telephone. It's hard to imagine someone doing
that as a hobby, although there are a lot of people who spend a lot of
time using them.

So what makes a youngster decide to become a Ham?

We can try using the input of those who became Hams at a young age.
Most of what I have heard is that the person was very interested in the
technical aspects involved with getting on the air. Making antennas,
building rigs, and getting them on the air was a big part of the attraction.

In the end, I believe that it is young people that have a technical
interest that will likely become Hams.

And that, I believe, is the crux of the issue.

America is not a place that encourages those who might be thinking of a
technical career. We have a tendency to encourage a more "pop culture"
outlook, which as often as not discounts actual learning for "street
cred", and actually turns the smart person into an object of ridicule.
There are levels, and there are levels. If a person is intelligent, and
wants a good livelihood, you will find careers that are acceptable. You
can be a movie star, or perhaps a lawyer. A whole spectrum follows, but
engineering and the technical fields are not very high on that list.

How often is the Techie portrayed as a sort of Bill Nye, the science
guy type (at best). How about the smart woman who takes off her glasses
and suddenly becomes the hot babe? Professor Frink on "The Simpsons"?
Pop culture is not kind to the technical types.

My experiences with programs like "bring your sons and daughters to
work day" shows that almost none of the kids is even thinking of a
technical field. A lot want to be lawyers.

Once in the past, we were scared into thinking that maybe science and
technology was maybe not such a bad thing. That happened when the
commies launched Sputnik. Suddenly it seemed important that at least
some of our kids decided to work in the sciences. Hopefully we will
decide that again without having to be shocked into it.

I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to
come into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 29th 05, 01:16 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]
I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to come
into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I would tend to agree with that. All through school, I was somewhat of an
"outcast" because I was interested in science and technology.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 29th 05, 01:48 AM
Belching Betty the Traffic Slug

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Many people lament that there is not enough interest in Ham radio by
young people.

What chance ham radio had to interest young people is loooong gone.
(...of course arrl will never admit to this, to them it's still sometime in
1965)

One of the reasons that is given very often is that Amateur radio is in
some sort of competition with the Internet. Let us look at this theory.

Here's another 'white paper' theory:

Kids & INTERNET: Instant Messager, Chat Rooms, Videoconference
in REAL TIME with your friends, Play games (Halo for example) over
a Network with your friends, send messages via cellphone to e-mail and
visa-versa, computers are cheap $300 for a P4 fully loaded at
C-shows...etc...etc...

Kids and HAM RADIO: Radios can be expensive, big antennas needed if
you want HF, all to talk to are sour old men (or retro-bigots if your on
75 Meters at night) who hate kids for the most part, packet-radio a joke
at 9600 baud (circa 1981 speed!!) compared to DSL, radios expensive to
fix if they break and most radios (except yaesu) are built like a cheap VCR
kids on ham few and far between.....etc

any questions?

(it sucks eh?)

Old May 29th 05, 02:05 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]

I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to come
into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I would tend to agree with that. All through school, I was somewhat of an
"outcast" because I was interested in science and technology.

And isn't that a strange thing? Women especially, can be ostracized for
interest in "non-womanly" things. And that pressure to conform can be
pretty tough. Good to see you didn't cave.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 29th 05, 02:55 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]

I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to
come into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I would tend to agree with that. All through school, I was somewhat of
an "outcast" because I was interested in science and technology.

And isn't that a strange thing? Women especially, can be ostracized for
interest in "non-womanly" things. And that pressure to conform can be
pretty tough. Good to see you didn't cave.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Couldn't cave because then I wouldn't be me. I simply decided I wanted to
remain myself rather than become a different person.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 29th 05, 06:28 AM
Jamar

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
news
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]
I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to come
into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I would tend to agree with that. All through school, I was somewhat of an
"outcast" because I was interested in science and technology.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

That explains why you were not asked to the proms.
All this time I had suspected it was a result of your condescending
attitude.

Old May 29th 05, 08:29 AM
Terry

[...]

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;

Nope. You just about covered it all.
That leaves only the holdout dregs of CB who are now getting Tech licenses
and migrating to two meters.
You can hear them every day on the local repeaters. They use CB slang such
as "hate and discontent", "make my phone go ringy-dingy", "I heard that, I
did", and the all-time favorite? "Ten four, good buddy."
They buy a Rad Shack 2 meter ht and hammer the repeaters all day long. Ask
one of them to switch over to simplex and you can hear the confusion in
their voices. "Simplex. What is that?" or, "I can't get out that far."
Oh, and for laughs just listen to the Techies as they give each other signal
reports on a repeater. They tell each other they are full quieting and have
good audio. Oh, duh!
The ultimate hoot for me was when last week a couple of Techies were
hammering the daylights out of a local repeater. One was getting out of
range and his Techie buddie suggested they move to another repeater. What
did I hear but the one Tech say to the other, "I am gonna QSY to my truck."
Lids. Lids and more Lids.

(ditttos on the Yaesu gear. I wouldn't own anything but)

Old May 29th 05, 11:46 AM
Dee Flint

"Jamar" nolid@nohome wrote in message ...

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
news
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]
I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to
come
into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I would tend to agree with that. All through school, I was somewhat of an
"outcast" because I was interested in science and technology.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

That explains why you were not asked to the proms.
All this time I had suspected it was a result of your condescending
attitude.

And who says I was not asked to the proms? Little do you know.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 29th 05, 01:31 PM
garigue

"Jamar" nolid@nohome wrote in message ...

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
news
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]
I am pretty firmly convinced that until we stop catering to the least
common denominator, until we stop marginalizing the technically and
scientifically inclined, we will not find many youngsters who want to

come
into our hobby.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I would tend to agree with that. All through school, I was somewhat of an
"outcast" because I was interested in science and technology.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

That explains why you were not asked to the proms.
All this time I had suspected it was a result of your condescending
attitude.

Well I guess that an interesting discussion degenerated at the 3rd post

73 safe holiday everyone ....... Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa

Old May 29th 05, 01:49 PM
garigue

Kids & INTERNET: Instant Messager, Chat Rooms, Videoconference
in REAL TIME with your friends, Play games (Halo for example) over
a Network with your friends, send messages via cellphone to e-mail and
visa-versa, computers are cheap $300 for a P4 fully loaded at
C-shows...etc...etc...

I'll buy that .....

Kids and HAM RADIO: Radios can be expensive, big antennas needed if
you want HF,

Big maybe ...expensive ...like anything else what you want to put into it

all to talk to are sour old men (or retro-bigots if your on
75 Meters at night) who hate kids for the most part,

Ah com on ..here we go again with this crap ..... this happens in all
endeavors ... avoid those idiots by a turn of the dial or better yet get on
CW where this "effluent" isn't present ....

packet-radio a joke
at 9600 baud (circa 1981 speed!!)

Agreed ...... what started out as a interesting meld of computer hi-tech
into the service fizzled ...... perhaps more by govt. regulation than
anything else ..... not an expert here .....

compared to DSL, radios expensive to
fix if they break

Yes and no ...... simple homemade stuff is easy to fix if you built it ....
I hate to use the old saw but I have yet to see a computer whiz etch his own
motherboard of late ......

and most radios (except yaesu) are built like a cheap VCR

huh ?????? I have many radios that have gone for years without a problem

kids on ham few and far between.....etc

any questions?

Yep ...what is your call ...... and have you helped any kids get their
tickets of late .....

(it sucks eh?)

Nope ....but your attitude sure does .....

73 Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa ....