Old June 3rd 05, 01:10 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

KC8GXW wrote:
What makes a person a real ham?

Anyone who holds a license and when operating on the ham bands, acts
like a gentleman at all times. There are some on here who wouldn't qualify.
Old June 3rd 05, 01:51 AM
KC8GXW

Default What makes a real ham?

What makes a person a real ham?
Is it doing more then 5 wpm code?
Is it being accepted by certain other hams?
Could it be the date they were first licensed, or maybe the class of
license they hold now?
Can a person climb to Extra with today's test and be considered a real ham?
Is yodoc aka K3LT a real ham, or the one to determine who is a real ham?
Can somebody who gets into amateur radio today with the "give away
license" ever be considered a real ham?
Does getting a vanity license that is an older call such as K8*** or
WD8*** make you a real ham?
I didn't take the free upgrade to general, so would this make me a cb'er
or no coder as the toad says?
I'm not being a troll, I would really like to know the answers to this!

Old June 3rd 05, 01:59 AM
KØHB

"KC8GXW" wrote

I would really like to know the answers to this!

The FCC says this:

§97.3 Definitions.

(a) (1) Amateur operator. A person named in an amateur
operator/primary station grant on the ULS consolidated
licensee database

If your name is on an unexpired license grant, you're a real ham.

Next question?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
KC8GXW

KØHB wrote:

"KC8GXW" wrote

I would really like to know the answers to this!

The FCC says this:

§97.3 Definitions.

(a) (1) Amateur operator. A person named in an amateur
operator/primary station grant on the ULS consolidated
licensee database

If your name is on an unexpired license grant, you're a real ham.

Next question?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Thanks Hans, I knew that part. I was wondering what people here think a
real ham is. In the past 10 years I've heard so much belittling about
lower class licenses, I was just curious what others thought was on this
subject? I understand that there is no real answer and most of it is
just an opinion.
Some people here wouldn't consider anybody a real ham unless they could
quote all the FCC rules and regs. by heart!

Old June 3rd 05, 02:10 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KC8GXW" wrote in message
What makes a person a real ham?
Is it doing more then 5 wpm code?

A "Real Ham" is proficient in all forms and modes of communications. One of
the primary purposes of Amateur Radio is to provide a pool of qualified
radio operators in the event of emergency. Thus being able to use Morse
Code at anything but training wheel speed is a big plus.

Is it being accepted by certain other hams?

No, not entirely. But being able to assimilate with minimum friction is a
big help. In otherwords don't show up with a "I know it all attitude" and
have a bit of respect for those that have been there before you.

Could it be the date they were first licensed, or maybe the class of
license they hold now?

That does have a bearing on things. Don't come on with the above attitute
holding a Technician ticket for 6 months, and expect to be treating with
respect. Respect is earned me boy.

Can a person climb to Extra with today's test and be considered a real
ham?

No, not really. Must I elaborate on the obvious?

If one does that wonderous dead and then EARNS the respect of those other
hams. A lot of what I said above is bypassed. Respect, Earned those are
the key words here.

Is yodoc aka K3LT a real ham, or the one to determine who is a real ham?

Don't know the man.

Can somebody who gets into amateur radio today with the "give away
license" ever be considered a real ham?

Sure...see above.

Does getting a vanity license that is an older call such as K8*** or
WD8*** make you a real ham?

A WD8? a joke right? Try W or K ...one by two or three, non vanity of
course. Thats an old timer.

As a matter of fact the FCC once considered the W/K prefix "prefered calls".
And at one time the FCC required you to change your call if you permanetly
moved to another district. And in deference to the W/K....if you had one
they would issue another from the prefered block.

Which is how I got my present call (W4NTI) because I used to have K8BHH.
Course that all went to crap with the alphabet soup system of today.

I didn't take the free upgrade to general, so would this make me a cb'er
or no coder as the toad says?

No, just a no coder. Unless of course you did pass a 5wpm test. Then you
would be a Technician. Hi hi.

I'm not being a troll, I would really like to know the answers to this!

Hope that helps a bit.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 3rd 05, 02:36 AM
KØHB

"KC8GXW" wrote

Thanks Hans, I knew that part. I was wondering what people here think a real
ham is. In the past 10 years I've heard so much belittling about lower class
licenses, I was just curious what others thought was on this subject? I
understand that there is no real answer and most of it is just an opinion.

I think that there IS a real answer. If you have any class of drivers
license you're a "real" licensed driver. The same holds true for hams.

The opinion of those who "belittle" others who haven't attained some arbitrary
class of license or demonstrated an ability to beep at some arbitrary speed is,
in my opinion, really nothing more than a mask for their own insecurity.

The "hands-down-best-ham-I-ever-knew" is Gene Schwarz, W0VDI. Gene was an
original 1953 Technician, and the last beep he ever copied was at his 5WPM
examination session 52 years ago. A great Elmer, club "sparkplug"/volunteer,
tinkerer-cum-laude (several RF-related patents in his name --- never went to
engineering school), expert public service traffic handler, and
all-around-good-guy. Sadly, Gene is now SK (victim of the "Big C"). Based on
the class of his license, he'd not be "real" in some opinions around here, so
you can guess how much weight I think "opinion" carries.

I hold little regard for, and give no credence to the opinion of any ham who
judges other hams based on the class of their license.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 3rd 05, 03:43 AM
robert casey

I didn't take the free upgrade to general, so would this make me a cb'er
or no coder as the toad says?

Study the extra written test, bring your oldest license, and
(if you pass it) get your extra. Then you'd be the same
as me.

As for being a "real" ham, do one or more of the following:
Elmering, contesting, building equipment and experimenting,
public service, and such. And NOT QRMing, repeater kerchunking
excessively, ignoring accepted formal or informal band plans,
tuning up on top of other QSOs, bad language, and such.
Old June 3rd 05, 04:08 AM
yea right

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:51:12 -0400, KC8GXW wrote:

What makes a person a real ham?

Some time hanging in a smoke house and a bunch of salt
Old June 3rd 05, 04:16 AM
John Smith

KC8GXW:

Why are we are "REAL" hams--our chit don't stink, we have an IQ above
room temp and have passed the test--we paste a darn hobby licence on the
wall as if it were a PHD... we worship the "dit dah God", gawd man, get
a clue... grin

.... some of even have a sense of humor--that not only makes a real ham,
it makes a real man...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 3rd 05, 04:20 AM
Mike Coslo

KC8GXW wrote:
What makes a person a real ham?

Being cured and smoked over a real hickory wood fire....

Is it doing more then 5 wpm code?

8.5 wpm, if my numbers are correct.

Is it being accepted by certain other hams?

Who on earth would care about that?

Could it be the date they were first licensed, or maybe the class of
license they hold now?

Only people who were licensed on February 15th, 1955 are real hams. All
others are a sham.

Can a person climb to Extra with today's test and be considered a real ham?

You have to take the tests administered in 1932.

Is yodoc aka K3LT a real ham, or the one to determine who is a real ham?

Good lord, he hasn't posted here in a long time, why bring Larry into
the mix?

Can somebody who gets into amateur radio today with the "give away
license" ever be considered a real ham?

You don't know the half of it! I was forced at gunpoint to take the
ridiculously easy tests available today. I wanted to take an older test,
but the bleary eyed VE, cocked the trigger on his 45, and I knew it was
to either become a nickel extra, or die!

Does getting a vanity license that is an older call such as K8*** or
WD8*** make you a real ham?

Hey! I'm thinking about getting a Vanity. Be nice!

I didn't take the free upgrade to general, so would this make me a cb'er
or no coder as the toad says?

Everyone is a CB'er.

I'm not being a troll, I would really like to know the answers to this!

Hey, if you have to ask.......... 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -