Old June 5th 05, 12:56 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"running dogg" wrote in message
uncle arnie wrote:

Best to avoid racist terms such as "paki". It's right up there with
"******". "Monkey" is no better - only applied from what I see to
non-white
persons, it's at about the level of "boy".

Blue Cornchips wrote:

Shamelessly stolen from alt.tasteless:

(a real laugh riot! Great ways on how 2 insult foreign tech support
monkeys !!)

And people then wonder why the tech support "monkey" in India is so
surly. If you lived in Bangalore and had to work from 9pm to 5am doing
tech support for Americans who call you "paki" all the time, you'd be
mad too.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Excuse me....what the hell is a paki? And why is it a racist slur?

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 5th 05, 01:20 AM
Conan Ford

uncle arnie wrote in
:

Best to avoid racist terms such as "paki". It's right up there with
"******". "Monkey" is no better - only applied from what I see to
non-white persons, it's at about the level of "boy".

Well, President Bush said "paki" once a couple years ago, out of naivety,
so why can't everyone else?
Old June 5th 05, 02:29 AM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"running dogg" wrote in message

Excuse me....what the hell is a paki?

A Pakistani. I heard the term used in Canada years before I first heard
it used in the U.S.

And why is it a racist slur?

Beats me. Ask one.

Dan/W4NTI

w3rv

Old June 5th 05, 02:36 AM
uncle arnie

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"running dogg" wrote in message

Excuse me....what the hell is a paki? And why is it a racist slur?

Dan/W4NTI

It is a term for someone of East Indian descent. My East Indian friends
from the Caribbean and Europe, some of the many generations, take great
offence to it. It is derived from Pakistan, which is a mostly a Moslem
country. Indians tend to be Hindu. So it's a combination of wrong
country, wrong religion, as well as used by others who aren't part of the
India/Hindu - Pakistan/Moslem wars and conflict as a direct insult. There
is zero tolerance for it in schools here for instance. Perhaps there are
no East Indians where you live.
Old June 5th 05, 02:39 AM
Kim

No offense to those who live in other countries, those who are from other
countries living here, etc. BUT, John S., when the job loss is in your
household, the frustration will be quite evident in you, as well, I am sure.
I can logically figure out that it is not the "other peoples'" fault.
However, the emotion of losing a job, and sometimes just shy of retirement,
many times after long, long years at a company, is quite overwhelming and
leaves one short of "feeling friendly."

Kim W5TIT

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree. My experience with american call centers has been about as
good as those that appear to be located overseas. The quality of the
response is directly related to the skills and knowlege of the
individual - their location has little to do with it. Tucson, Arizona
has numerous call centers operating there, and I would guess many of
the operators have a non-U.S. accent as well. When calling a call
center my purpose is to get information. I've found that by staying
cordial and sometimes repeating a question that I get the results I'm
looking for. Some on this forum(not you) seem to be more focused on
insulting the operators and generally causing problems. They must have
a lot of free time.

Old June 5th 05, 02:51 AM
uncle arnie

Those who are interested, here's a link to a radio program about Indian call
centres and the social conditions that bring them to India.

http://www.cbc.ca/dispatches/summer2003.html

This is the text, search for India and you'll come to the real audio link:

College graduates often complain how hard it is to find a job these days.
But imagine living in India, where unemployment among young people can be
more than 50 percent.

Getting work on the subcontinent is kind of like staying dry in monsoon
season.

Except in the southern city of Bangalore, where the CBC's Mihira Lakshman
says the ability to sound like you're from the American heartland, is the
key to a whole new kind of career.
Old June 5th 05, 04:03 AM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:22:04 GMT, Aristotle wrote:

I know that most Indians speak good English, and I have no problem
with their accent. But I had one once who apparently did not
understand English. It was as if he was reading from a script and was
expecting a certain answer back. It was VERY frustrating. Perhaps if
these call centers were a little more discriminating in who they
hired.

The problem which I find most is not lack of fluency with English
(in any of its variations) but lack of fluency in the subject at
hand. How can you get assistance with a PC card driver, for
instance, when the person doesn't know (or denies) that the
particular operating system which is being used exists?

Fortunately these problems don't crop up that often for me.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old June 5th 05, 04:29 AM
Frito

"uncle arnie" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"running dogg" wrote in message

Excuse me....what the hell is a paki? And why is it a racist slur?

Dan/W4NTI

It is a term for someone of East Indian descent. My East Indian friends
from the Caribbean and Europe, some of the many generations, take great
offence to it. It is derived from Pakistan, which is a mostly a Moslem
country. Indians tend to be Hindu. So it's a combination of wrong
country, wrong religion, as well as used by others who aren't part of the
India/Hindu - Pakistan/Moslem wars and conflict as a direct insult. There
is zero tolerance for it in schools here for instance. Perhaps there are
no East Indians where you live.

Awww, fer crying out loud. Another Politically Correct hand-wringer steps in
and wants to play the part of a Thought Policeman.
Know what? I have lived in this country all my life and can and will admit
that I would prefer to sometimes use the somewhat generic term, Raghead. It
is succinct and to the point.
So what if THEY are offended? And who are YOU to suggest that I or anybody
else should abide by your concept of what is acceptable and what is not?

Old June 5th 05, 04:31 AM
Frito

"uncle arnie" wrote in message
Those who are interested, here's a link to a radio program about Indian call
centres and the social conditions that bring them to India.

http://www.cbc.ca/dispatches/summer2003.html

This is the text, search for India and you'll come to the real audio link:

College graduates often complain how hard it is to find a job these days.
But imagine living in India, where unemployment among young people can be
more than 50 percent.

Getting work on the subcontinent is kind of like staying dry in monsoon
season.

Except in the southern city of Bangalore, where the CBC's Mihira Lakshman
says the ability to sound like you're from the American heartland, is the
key to a whole new kind of career.

Maybe they should do something about their skyrocketing birth rate.....

Old June 5th 05, 04:33 AM
Jim Hampton

Hello, Kim

Dang, top post or bottom post, but who cares?

Reality is that they changed the rules and it cut my pension by around $300
per month! I was lucky, however. A few folks were just shy off 55 (one guy
was 2 weeks short of 55) and they get no health coverage nor life insurance.

They pulled the plug a bit late on me. Although not big, I'm looking at
over $300 per week after taxes. After working a contract job at $13.00 per
hour (what a whack in pay!) and we all were let go after 3 months, I've
decided to heck with it. I can live on the $300 to $350 per week. I've
only a few years before Social Insecurity and I have health insurance. I
have to make adjustments, but I can pay my taxes.

I'm certain that changes will occur when enough folks get hurt. I'm just
tired of banging my head into a brick wall. I read the same old tired
threads and the claims that the left-wing groups lied when they reported
stories. Certainly mistakes have been made, but I cannot help but note that
as time goes by and more stories leak out, it would appear that some folks
will just not let go of the official stance. Whether amateur radio or the
current administration.

I did have a laugh. Years ago, I wrote a program which generated ladder
code for a programmable ladder controller. I could do the work of 8 hours
of tool engineering time in 15 minutes. A lot of credit was given to other
folks. Amazingly, the program "disappeared".

I had left and then went back to that company some 7 years later. When our
department was getting ready to close, I spoke with one supervisor about the
fact that the programming in the controllers was terrible and I could
increase production about 20% (I proved a 50% increase back in 1982). When
he suggested we approach the manager I told him the truth. It wouldn't save
his job nor mine. I let it go. I honestly don't care and after the
requisite two years I will e-mail the code to a competitor. A foreign
competitor. I generally avoid confrontation and tend to not be nasty, but
in this case .... )

Make my day.

I have generally found that the well educated are either labeled as "geeks"
or "left-wing radicals". The self-righteous folks haven't seen real flack.
It is about time that they did.

I've seen good old "Dave" talking about "old timers". He's off by a mile,
but anyone with a ticket should be welcomed and accepted with none of the
B.S. concerning license classes. There are codeless techs that can run
rings around me, and I can run rings around most of the extras. I'm not
talking Morse, but I could there too.

I can assure you, anyone with a "holier than thou" attitude on one group I
co-own will be gone in a heartbeat. We all have enough troubles without
some idiot adding to the garbage.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA