Old July 1st 05, 06:59 PM
Dee Flint

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

Dee Flint wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

It certainly does many of the techs get tired of being told how we NED
to upgrade, just at at your own words.

Nope, never told anyone that they need to upgrade just for upgrading's
sake. I have however helped them learn what privileges are available
should they choose to do so.

Interesting discussion. Interseting implications here. In running the GOTA
station at Field Day, and in encouraging new folks to come up and use the
club station, I am often extolling the benefits of upgrading to
Technicians.

People who read into that that I am somehow prejudiced against the Tech's
have an active imagination.

Of course there are benefits to upgrading. Sounds like some people *don't
want* that to get out. Seems like now we're hearing that encouragement to
upgrade is chasing people away.

In addition, this has become an argument that those of us who work with
the Technicians and encourage them to increase their license level somehow
disdain those we encourage. Almost as if the tutors in hagh school hate
11th graders because they help them pass their courses so they can become
12th graders.

Good luck with that one guys!

Maybe we are just supposed to ignore the Technicians, because anything we
do appears to "chase them away".

Talk to 'em about Ham radio - chase 'em away

Don't talk to 'em - chase 'em away.

Encourage 'em - chase 'em away.

Uh-huh.......

Funny what happens when people try to defend a bogus argument.
_______________________________

We don't hate the Tech's

If they want to upgrade, we are there to help.

Sometimes expressing why they might want to learn something that they
think they have no use for in order to get there is helpful.

And BTW, the reaction to simple questions tells more about the "reactee"
than it does the person posing the question.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Well said, Mike.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 1st 05, 08:25 PM
an_old_friend

Michael Coslo wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

It certainly does many of the techs get tired of being told how we NED
to upgrade, just at at your own words.

Nope, never told anyone that they need to upgrade just for upgrading's sake.
I have however helped them learn what privileges are available should they
choose to do so.

Interesting discussion. Interseting implications here. In running the
GOTA station at Field Day, and in encouraging new folks to come up and
use the club station, I am often extolling the benefits of upgrading to
Technicians.

Right and working about as hard then as you can to discourage them from
doing so

People who read into that that I am somehow prejudiced against the
Tech's have an active imagination.

BTW active imaginations are somehting that the ARS needs more of.
Personaly I thank you for the compliment.

However you thinking that tell Techs again what they already know isn't
insulting, and insulting someone becuase of their lisense class is
showing a prejudice against the members of the class

Of course there are benefits to upgrading.

of course, and they are well known

Sounds like some people
*don't want* that to get out.

No they don't want you druming into in thiere head what they alreeady
know

Seems like now we're hearing that
encouragement to upgrade is chasing people away.

But you aren'ty encouaging you are belitting people when you insist on
explaing to them what they already know

In addition, this has become an argument that those of us who work with
the Technicians and encourage them to increase their license level
somehow disdain those we encourage. Almost as if the tutors in hagh
school hate 11th graders because they help them pass their courses so
they can become 12th graders.

One can only judge by ones experences. BTW those of us interested
don't need the help of "upper classmen", they can manage quite well on
thiere own or help from our own class.

I myself while disaproving of Morse Code have helped people to pass the
code test by operating at VHF sending computer generated morse. Surely
even Stevie will grant that anyone who can learn to follow morse and my
typing at the same time can pass a code test at any speed they can
follow my morse

Good luck with that one guys!

We don't need it, nor your condesending attitude

Maybe we are just supposed to ignore the Technicians, because anything
we do appears to "chase them away".

You could try treating them thier licenses and their previldges with
respect.

Talk to 'em about Ham radio - chase 'em away

Talk to them about upgrading you chase em away

Don't talk to 'em - chase 'em away.

nope

Encourage 'em - chase 'em away.

Condesend and insult them of course you chase them away

Uh-huh.......

Funny what happens when people try to defend a bogus argument.
_______________________________

We don't hate the Tech's

but you don't respect them either

If they want to upgrade, we are there to help.

but only on your own terms

Sometimes expressing why they might want to learn something that they
think they have no use for in order to get there is helpful.

if it were only "sometimes"

And BTW, the reaction to simple questions tells more about the
"reactee" than it does the person posing the question.

indeed that can be true it tells about their expernces.

The thought "why is this guy telling me the same thing AGAIN, is a very
comon one"

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 1st 05, 09:16 PM
John Smith

Mee two! I must have swallowed too much man chowder at the rest area last
night.

"Freebander" wrote in message
i think i feel ill

Old July 1st 05, 10:08 PM
Dee Flint

Michael Coslo wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

People who read into that that I am somehow prejudiced against the
Tech's have an active imagination.

BTW active imaginations are somehting that the ARS needs more of.
Personaly I thank you for the compliment.

However you thinking that tell Techs again what they already know isn't
insulting, and insulting someone becuase of their lisense class is
showing a prejudice against the members of the class

And how do you know that the Techs remember everything that they have ever
learned? That ability would give them superhuman powers that no other class
of hams has ever had.

No one can remember everything they've learned, studied, practiced. This
last Field Day was an example. I was operating the VHF station and
explaining to Extras how it was possible to have propagation from Michigan
to south Texas on 6 meters and 2 meters. Now, they studied this along their
licensing path but without having used it, they have forgotten. Is it
condescending to answer questions? I don't think so.

All that I do is answer questions that they ask and make myself readily
accessible for them to ask questions. For those areas outside my areas of
expertise, I send them to some one who does know. None of us goes around
trying to force feed them.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 1st 05, 11:58 PM
an_old_friend

Michael Coslo wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

People who read into that that I am somehow prejudiced against the
Tech's have an active imagination.

BTW active imaginations are somehting that the ARS needs more of.
Personaly I thank you for the compliment.

However you thinking that tell Techs again what they already know isn't
insulting, and insulting someone becuase of their lisense class is
showing a prejudice against the members of the class

And how do you know that the Techs remember everything that they have ever
learned? That ability would give them superhuman powers that no other class
of hams has ever had.

Never made that claim, so the rest of the para is garbage

but ALL techs know that HF and it's current required Morse allow for
easier long distance comms than VHF , we are told over and over again.

No one can remember everything they've learned, studied, practiced. This
last Field Day was an example. I was operating the VHF station and
explaining to Extras how it was possible to have propagation from Michigan
to south Texas on 6 meters and 2 meters. Now, they studied this along their
licensing path but without having used it, they have forgotten. Is it
condescending to answer questions? I don't think so.

In the case you describe it might or might be condesending. It is
emabarishing to the ARS that extras class operators don't know that,
your question is also unrelated to the topic at hand

A tech may not know ether say 10 m can support a QSO from Michigan to S
texas but he knows that some HF will likely do so

All that I do is answer questions that they ask and make myself readily
accessible for them to ask questions. For those areas outside my areas of
expertise, I send them to some one who does know. None of us goes around
trying to force feed them.

depending on the US in the above the statement may or may not be
truthful

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 2nd 05, 02:34 AM
Dave Heil

Mark Morgan, in the guise of an_old_friend wrote:

and do you even know how many such leures tech receive?

Lures? Leers? Levers?

Dave K8MN
Old July 2nd 05, 02:42 AM
an_old_friend

Dave Heil wrote:
Mark Morgan, in the guise of an_old_friend wrote:

and do you even know how many such leures tech receive?

Lures? Leers? Levers?

All of the above, although lectures was the original intent

jeers and harangs also fit
such as your s of couse too

Dave K8MN