Old June 11th 05, 02:22 AM

Default The Pool

Here's an update on the "when will FCC drop Element 1?" pool.

Note how almost everyone's date, including mine, has already
passed:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
WA2ISE: August 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N4PGW:May 22, 2005
N8UZE: July 1, 2005
AB2RC: July 1, 2007
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007
W5TIT: June 1, 2008

Anybody want to add a prediction? If so, the "rolling rule" (thanks
Dee, N8UZE) applies:

If your prediction on this list is a year or more in the past, you can
add a new one.

At this point N3KIP and everyone before him can add a new prediction.
All predictions stay on the list.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 11th 05, 02:37 AM
Jim Hampton

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hello, Jim

Well, I lost the original bet. Tell you what, by 2010 there will be no
licensing requirements; by 2011, the U.S. of A. will no longer have any ham
radio licensees.

Everything will be devoted to either big business, Christian Churches, or
the Repooblican party (assuming the brain-dead don't wake up).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 11th 05, 06:08 PM
KØHB

"bb" wrote

Your strangle hold on the amateur service may not
end until the actuarial tables kick in, but they will end.

Jim has a "strangle hold" on ham radio? Gee, I didn't know!

Hey, Jim --- loosen up and let me breathe!

did dit ----- Reverse Fransworth
de Hans, K0HB

Old June 11th 05, 07:11 PM
Alun L. Palmer

"KØHB" wrote in news:7UEqe.2534$hK3.1424
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"bb" wrote

Your strangle hold on the amateur service may not end until the
actuarial tables kick in, but they will end.

Jim has a "strangle hold" on ham radio? Gee, I didn't know!

Hey, Jim --- loosen up and let me breathe!

did dit ----- Reverse Fransworth
de Hans, K0HB

Not Jim specifically, but all the Pro Code Test Advocates (PCTA). I think
it was Goethe who said something about new ideas not being accepted until
those who cling to the old ones have died. It has to be said that there is
some truth in that.

I think that the FCC will abolish the code test before we get that far,
though. They are taking their sweet time, though. My XYL is waiting on this
event to go for her General, so that's my main interest.

More countries abolish the code test all the time, although it's slowed to
a trickle. I think Spain ditched the code test quite recently. OTOH, I
think Italy may be one of the very few holdouts in Europe, but I think it
is merely a delay. Canada looks set to do it soon, but has looked that way
for a while, LOL! It will happen here too, but will have taken so long that
some people will be shocked by it, as they will have pretty much forgotten
about it by then.

I don't think I'll add another date. I think it will be this year, though.
All right, put my second guess as December 31st, 2005.

73 de Alun, N3KIP
Old June 11th 05, 07:58 PM
KØHB

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote

Not Jim specifically, but all the Pro Code Test Advocates (PCTA).

Nope, those guys are just expressing opinions. If there's a "choke hold" (and I
don't agree there is), then it's the FCC with their hands around the throat of
the ARS.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 11th 05, 09:01 PM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:
"bb" wrote

Your strangle hold on the amateur service may not
end until the actuarial tables kick in, but they will end.

Jim has a "strangle hold" on ham radio? Gee, I didn't know!

Hey, Jim --- loosen up and let me breathe!

did dit ----- Reverse Fransworth
de Hans, K0HB

All PCTA, including those employed by the FCC.

Old June 11th 05, 09:03 PM
bb

Alun L. Palmer wrote:
"K=D8HB" wrote in news:7UEqe.2534$hK3.1424
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"bb" wrote

Your strangle hold on the amateur service may not end until the
actuarial tables kick in, but they will end.

Jim has a "strangle hold" on ham radio? Gee, I didn't know!

Hey, Jim --- loosen up and let me breathe!

did dit ----- Reverse Fransworth
de Hans, K0HB

Not Jim specifically, but all the Pro Code Test Advocates (PCTA). I think
it was Goethe who said something about new ideas not being accepted until
those who cling to the old ones have died. It has to be said that there is
some truth in that.=20

didit

Old June 11th 05, 09:11 PM
bb

John Smith wrote:
... the writing is on the wall, the figures are good enough for a
mathematician to hold as truth, the president of ARRL and FCC knows
it... still, denial is a powerful thing...

John

I never once considered the actuarial tables as something to look
forward to, but the ARS has changed all that for me. Now the actuarial
tables are to be celebrated. Change will come to the ARS, eventually.

The Pool N2EY Policy 515 February 22nd 04 03:14 AM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
REQ:latest Ham University with curent tech pool willing to share?/sell cheep Equipment 0 November 27th 03 07:15 AM