Old June 27th 05, 10:20 PM
an_old_friend

Default point of info

What are the dates on the current valid tech question pool. my partner
has been looking at a license. Is the pool about to change etc?

Old June 28th 05, 02:47 PM
Bill Sohl

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the dates on the current valid tech question pool. my partner
has been looking at a license. Is the pool about to change etc?

The tech pool is good for at least a year or possibly longer. No changes
are being made to any license class pool this year at all. The only
thing that might change things is a rulemaking change by the
FCC but even that would take upwards of a year before
becoming effective.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old June 28th 05, 10:40 PM
Jim Hampton

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the dates on the current valid tech question pool. my partner
has been looking at a license. Is the pool about to change etc?

If one knows theory and regulations and is not simply trying to memorize
Q&As, then there should be no problem. I let my tickets expire around 1981
and simply retook the exams in 1993 without any study. This included 20
word per minute CW (last copied in 1969). I regained my extra class license
(I believe I was down there nearly 3 hours) as well as my GROL (no 1st phone
anymore, unfortunately).

Just make sure your partner knows the basic rules of operating, the
different emission types, and the band limits and your partner should be
fine. One doesn't need to score 100% (nor even 80%, come to think of it).
Nothing very difficult on the tech exam.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 30th 05, 12:55 AM

From: Jim Hampton on Jun 28, 5:40 pm

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
roups.com...
What are the dates on the current valid tech question pool. my partner
has been looking at a license. Is the pool about to change etc?

If one knows theory and regulations and is not simply trying to memorize
Q&As, then there should be no problem. I let my tickets expire around 1981
and simply retook the exams in 1993 without any study. This included 20
word per minute CW (last copied in 1969). I regained my extra class license
(I believe I was down there nearly 3 hours) as well as my GROL (no 1st phone
anymore, unfortunately).

Just make sure your partner knows the basic rules of operating, the
different emission types, and the band limits and your partner should be
fine. One doesn't need to score 100% (nor even 80%, come to think of it).
Nothing very difficult on the tech exam.

True, nothing difficult. Even NINE YEAR OLDS have passed the
Amateur Extra test...

bit, bit