Old July 1st 05, 02:16 AM
Paul Traina

Default need help proving old call (copy of callbook page?)

Hi,

I used to have novice call WD6BDK back in the mid to late 70s (76-79 I
think?).

I'm hoping to upgrade from a tech to an extra on Saturday, and I was
just told I could use my old expired novice call to skip element 1 (the
5wpm test). I'd rather not stress over element 1 (I can pass, but...).

If you or someone you know has an old callbook and could look me up and
scan or fax me a copy of the page, I would be eternally in your debt.

Much thanks,

Paul

Old July 1st 05, 11:07 AM
Dr.Ace - WH2T

The W5YI-VEC will perform exhaustive hand lookups into their massive
collection of old callbooks for a $5 fee. Contact them at 1-800-669-9594.
Good Luck , Ace - WH2T

oups.com...

Old July 1st 05, 11:29 PM
bb

Paul Traina wrote:
Hi,

I used to have novice call WD6BDK back in the mid to late 70s (76-79 I
think?).

I'm hoping to upgrade from a tech to an extra on Saturday, and I was
just told I could use my old expired novice call to skip element 1 (the
5wpm test). I'd rather not stress over element 1 (I can pass, but...).

If you or someone you know has an old callbook and could look me up and
scan or fax me a copy of the page, I would be eternally in your debt.

Much thanks,

Paul

Paul, I would guess that the hams most likely to have yellowing copies
of the flying horse are the ones least interested in seeing anyone
bypass another Morse Code exam.

Good luck to you.

bb

Old July 1st 05, 11:41 PM
Paul Traina

Thanks, unfortunately W5YI doesn't have a complete set, they're missing
1975-1983 apparently.

I a friend of a friend claims he's got a 1979 callbook with my callsign
in it, but he's neither fax nor scanner enabled, so I'm still looking.

Old July 1st 05, 11:43 PM
Paul Traina

You could be right, sigh. I feel a little guilty for doing it this
way, but if the FCC says it's good, then who am I to argue. Besides, I
bet a few of them couldn't pass the new element 3. I took it in
1978-9 timeframe, and it's a new ballgame.

Old July 1st 05, 11:54 PM
robert casey

Paul, I would guess that the hams most likely to have yellowing copies
of the flying horse are the ones least interested in seeing anyone
bypass another Morse Code exam.

There's ebay. Someone may be looking to unload stuff like this.
Then you could bring the entire callbook with you and that would
be plenty of evidence. But this will take time.
Old July 1st 05, 11:58 PM
Dee Flint

"Paul Traina" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, unfortunately W5YI doesn't have a complete set, they're missing
1975-1983 apparently.

I a friend of a friend claims he's got a 1979 callbook with my callsign
in it, but he's neither fax nor scanner enabled, so I'm still looking.

If there is an Office Max or Kinko's in his area, he can go there and get it
scanned and faxed.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 2nd 05, 12:00 AM
Dee Flint

"Paul Traina" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, unfortunately W5YI doesn't have a complete set, they're missing
1975-1983 apparently.

I a friend of a friend claims he's got a 1979 callbook with my callsign
in it, but he's neither fax nor scanner enabled, so I'm still looking.

Also if you don't mind paying the fee, the FCC can provide a cofirmation.
But it takes a while to get confirmations of old paper records.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 2nd 05, 12:02 AM
Dee Flint

"Paul Traina" wrote in message
oups.com...
You could be right, sigh. I feel a little guilty for doing it this
way, but if the FCC says it's good, then who am I to argue. Besides, I
bet a few of them couldn't pass the new element 3. I took it in
1978-9 timeframe, and it's a new ballgame.

No need to feel guilty. Besides if look at the history of licensing the
earliest requirements were only 5wpm on code.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 2nd 05, 05:30 AM
b.b.

Dee Flint wrote:
"Paul Traina" wrote in message
oups.com...
You could be right, sigh. I feel a little guilty for doing it this
way, but if the FCC says it's good, then who am I to argue. Besides, I
bet a few of them couldn't pass the new element 3. I took it in
1978-9 timeframe, and it's a new ballgame.

No need to feel guilty. Besides if look at the history of licensing the
earliest requirements were only 5wpm on code.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I've been pointing that out for years, but the PCTA tend to ignore that
aspect of testing.

Who Can Have A US License? Sequential Calls? Steve Robeson K4YZ Policy 59 December 7th 04 07:14 PM
FCC resumes issuing calls. Splinter Policy 0 November 11th 04 08:29 PM
The Pool N2EY Policy 515 February 22nd 04 03:14 AM
If Ham radio were invented today........ Mike Coslo Policy 57 January 23rd 04 11:46 PM
FCC Vanity Call Sign Dispute Keith Policy 0 January 22nd 04 11:41 PM