Old July 16th 05, 12:01 AM

Default And It's a *Kit*!!

http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 16th 05, 12:14 AM
an_old_friend

http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

nice looking radio but did you catch the price starting at 3000 for a
kit

Old July 16th 05, 12:29 AM
Jim Hampton

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Well, how about a kit in the $100.00 range ..... with opposite sideband
rejection in excess of 50 dB. Even a few hundred Hz away from the carrier?
Direct conversion. With selectable sideband. Hmmmm ....

Of course, it is a receiver. They do make an exciter. But the thought of a
phasing direct conversion receiver or phasing transmitter with sideband
suppression of that order is interesting. Especially since the lower audio
frequencies will also be highly suppressed.

I've got the QSTs referenced. All in the 1990s. Of course, they've
replaced the analog audio quadrature generation with DSP to obtain the
increase from 40 to 50+ dB suppression of the unwanted sideband.

Here is a URL:
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/R2_DSP/R2-DSP.html

Nothing like DSP.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 16th 05, 01:17 AM
KØHB

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

It's a delight to see a startup in the high-end kit business.

Some off-the-top comments....

Integrated PC got me thinking "SDR", but must not be, because the embedded PC is
an option.

He calls it a "3-night" kit --- I wonder how much of the assembly work is
already complete?

$6-grand fully optioned, puts it up there at about three times the price of an
FT-100MP Mk V or an Icom 756PRO II, and almost 4 times the price of a Kenwood
TS-2000. Only the IC-7800 and FT-9000 are spendier!

Would be nice to see some performance numbers.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 16th 05, 01:22 AM
KØHB

"KØHB" wrote

$6-grand fully optioned, puts it up there at about three times the price of an
FT-100MP Mk V or an Icom 756PRO II, and almost 4 times the price of a Kenwood
TS-2000. Only the IC-7800 and FT-9000 are spendier!

Would be nice to see some performance numbers.

As another "reality check", a fully optioned Orion is about $4-grand vs $6-grand
for this "kit". Now I REALLY would like to see some performance numbers.
Ed Hare, crank up the lab please!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 16th 05, 01:55 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
"K=D8HB" wrote

$6-grand fully optioned, puts it up there at about three times the pric=

e of an
FT-100MP Mk V or an Icom 756PRO II, and almost 4 times the price of a K=

enwood
TS-2000. Only the IC-7800 and FT-9000 are spendier!

Would be nice to see some performance numbers.

As another "reality check", a fully optioned Orion is about $4-grand vs $=

6-grand
for this "kit". Now I REALLY would like to see some performance numb=

ers.
Ed Hare, crank up the lab please!

Nice guy that Hare but he's a QRPer fer cripes sake. Ship one of the
things to Sherwood and get the *real* poop.=20
=20
73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

Old July 16th 05, 01:56 PM
K4YZ

an_old_friend wrote:
wrote:
http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

nice looking radio but did you catch the price starting at 3000 for a
kit

You ain't kidding!

That must be why they saved that for the very last paragraph! I
was getting ready to break out the checkbook until I caught that!

I'll take my chances on Gigaparts Sweepstakes!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old July 16th 05, 02:07 PM
an_old_friend

K4YZ wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
wrote:
http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

73 de Jim, N2EY

nice looking radio but did you catch the price starting at 3000 for a
kit

You ain't kidding!

That must be why they saved that for the very last paragraph! I
was getting ready to break out the checkbook until I caught that!

indeed for Stevie and I are complete agreement

Old July 16th 05, 02:11 PM

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

Hello, Jim

Greetings!

Well, how about a kit in the $100.00 range .....
with opposite sideband
rejection in excess of 50 dB.
Even a few hundred Hz away from the carrier?
Direct conversion. With selectable sideband. Hmmmm ....

Of course, it is a receiver. They do make an exciter.
But the thought of a
phasing direct conversion receiver or phasing transmitter
with sideband
suppression of that order is interesting. Especially since the lower audio
frequencies will also be highly suppressed.

Yep. Not a new idea, there was such a receiver in QST way back in the
early 1970s.

The problem is that it's not a $100 kit. You have:

- the basic R2 board
- the DSP board
- a VFO (probably DDS to generate the I and Q signals)
- the T2 board
- a housing and control system for the whole setup

*Each* of those will run you $100 or so if made from new parts.

And what you get is a QRP monobander. More bands and more power
will add considerably to the cost.

And pretty soon you wind up with something that costs as much
as an Elecraft K2/100.

I've got the QSTs referenced. All in the 1990s. Of course,
they've
replaced the analog audio quadrature generation with DSP to
obtain the
increase from 40 to 50+ dB suppression of the unwanted sideband.

Here is a URL:
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/R2_DSP/R2-DSP.html

Nothing like DSP.

50 dB unwanted sideband rejection on receive isn't *that* great,
though. The Ancient Ones did better a half-century or more ago.
But it *is* a neat rig.

N7VE's Tayloe Mixer was featured in a Red Hot Radio 30 meter CW
transceiver. But it's not available now, last I looked.

---

OTOH, a lot of rig can be built for $100 if you use other than new
parts from sources like hamfests:

http://hometown.aol.com/n2ey/myhomepage/index.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 17th 05, 01:16 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

It's a delight to see a startup in the high-end kit business.

Yep. Fortunately it does not compete with any Southgate Radio products.

Some off-the-top comments....

Integrated PC got me thinking "SDR", but must not be, because
the embedded PC is an option.

Could be SDR without the embedded PC. The PC option seems to me
to be a way of putting the entire station in one box, without
the usual cabling - if you want that.

He calls it a "3-night" kit --- I wonder how much of the
assembly work is already complete?

Most of it, appears to me.

$6-grand fully optioned, puts it up there at about three times the pric=

e of an
FT-100MP Mk V or an Icom 756PRO II, and almost 4 times the
price of a Kenwood
TS-2000. Only the IC-7800 and FT-9000 are spendier!

Sure, but what do the options include?

Would be nice to see some performance numbers.

That's the real crunch, as it were. At the posted price I'd think it
would need to top everything else on the market on the important
numbers.

One good sign is that the company will not accept any money until they
are actually shipping the product.

I wonder how many they will actually ship?

--

For comparison, a fully optioned K2/100 tops out at maybe $1600 (IIRC)
without power supply or computer. That's with 160-10, SSB, NB, audio

Over 5000 K2s have been sold, with minimal advertising.

73 de Jim, N2EY