Old July 23rd 05, 02:13 AM
Joe Guthart

Default NPRM - "Pro" Comments for Dropping Code

I am glad the FCC finally took charge of the situation and decided to drop the code requirements. Here's why ...

I like Amateur Radio and want it to be a life-long hobby for me ... however, I just plainly can't take time to effectively study the code at this point in my life. I think my story is pretty common for most of the new people entering Amateur Radio today. I am a 43 year old married father of three children. I have a background in Aerospace Engineering and my full time work is in the high technology sector working with many well known computing infrastructure companies. I got my Technician license about two and a half years ago because it was a neat little challenge for me to combine radio communications with some of the newer digital modes. Basically, it was fun, not really technical challenging, but a nice way to relax. I do enjoy making contacts on 6 meters. I would play around with some different radio, antenna, and computer configurations and started to develop a relationship with some fellow ham buddies. Soon I became limited with the VHF/UHF band and wanted to hop onto HF. Of course, by the current rules one would have to jump on and take on learning Morse Code. I am absolutely sure I could do this if I had enough time. Having an ongoing career and being a family man, doesn't really leave a whole lot of time to practice dits and dahs. I have actually played around with the code several times, but real life events and changing priorities always got in the way; not en excuse just reality. I really do see learning the code as similar to my older engineering brethren making me learn how to use a slide rule; it's kind of neat, but not really effective for me, or most folks, given the advance of other computing methods and devices.

Fellow hams need to sit back and take an objective look at this hobby because it is dying a rapid death! Amateur Radio needs me and people just like me to join in on the HF bands and to use our real world high tech expertise to help further Amateur Radio. Amateur Radio also needs my $$$$. Take a look at the declining number of amateur radio manufacturers and radios. How could any business justify spending a lot on research and development in a market that is collapsing?

Finally, I honor all those of you who are code proficient. I too may one day still be code proficient even if there is no formal testing. However, I do think that the right decision has been made by the FCC and will ultimately be finalized with little changes. This will not kill our hobby, but will inject more life into it.

73's to All,

Joe / KG4YJS
Old July 23rd 05, 02:43 AM
Dee Flint

Boy did you fall for a bunch of propaganda! Although we have fallen off the all time high as far as numbers go, we are in no significant decline. Rather we are in a period of stabilization. Some weeks ago, I had shown the hams as a percentage of population and it's been holding pretty stable. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a computer problem and lost the file. When I get time, I'll have to research the data again and recreate the file.

As far as the declining number of manufacturers goes, the normal progression in any business is towards fewer companies serving the market. Unless one takes steps to stop it, a free market economy goes through a cycle. New product with lots of new companies. Then continuing consolidation until there is a near monopoly by one or a handful of companies. Occasionally, a new company will break in but not too often. This has happened in EVERY industry not just radio manufacturing. At least a dozen car companies, if not more, have come and gone in the US and we are down to three. Dozens of computer companies have come and gone. Dozens of software companies and so on.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 23rd 05, 03:31 AM
garigue

"Joe Guthart" wrote in message ...
I am glad the FCC finally took charge of the situation and decided to drop the code requirements. Here's why ...

I like Amateur Radio and want it to be a life-long hobby for me ... however, I just plainly can't take time to effectively study the code at this point in my life.

10 min a night Joe would get you there in several weeks ..... don't have to be an expert just 5 wpm .....

I think my story is pretty common for most of the new people entering Amateur Radio today. I am a 43 year old married father of three children. I have a background in Aerospace Engineering and my full time work is in the high technology sector working with many well known computing infrastructure companies. I got my Technician license about two and a half years ago because it was a neat little challenge for me to combine radio communications with some of the newer digital modes. Basically, it was fun, not really technical challenging, but a nice way to relax.

Exactly Joe it is a good way to relax ....... if it were work then I wouldn't be doing it ......

I do enjoy making contacts on 6 meters. I would play around with some different radio, antenna, and computer configurations and started to develop a relationship with some fellow ham buddies. Soon I became limited with the VHF/UHF band and wanted to hop onto HF. Of course, by the current rules one would have to jump on and take on learning Morse Code. I am absolutely sure I could do this if I had enough time. Having an ongoing career and being a family man, doesn't really leave a whole lot of time to practice dits and dahs. I have actually played around with the code

10 min a night for several weeks would get the job done quite well ..... no problem for 5 wpm

Finally, I honor all those of you who are code proficient.

Joe .... honor the vets not people who have a simple skill ..... proficient ???? I don't have a good answer for that except 5 WPM is proficient for a 5 WPM op ....

I too may one day still be code proficient even if there is no formal testing.

Good Joe as you will be missing out on one "relaxing" mode ..... excuse me protocol ..... I look forward to seeing you on the lower edges .......

However, I do think that the right decision has been made by the FCC and will ultimately be finalized with little changes. This will not kill our hobby, but will inject more life into it.

Joe I wish I could agree with you but I just don't see how that will happen ........ unless testing is done away with entirely.
However if it does .......I will buy all a virtual beer on this group.

73's to All,

Joe / KG4YJS

Take care Joe ...73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.
Old July 23rd 05, 03:41 AM
John Smith

Fat people would look a lot better and be healthier by losing just 10
pounds a month...

.... just about as much chance as someone studying a worthless means of
communication as that...

.... well, I did, but I am kinda slow, by the time I passed the test it
was too late to protest effectively! ROFLOL!!!

John

Old July 23rd 05, 04:12 AM
garigue

"John Smith" wrote in message
Fat people would look a lot better and be healthier by losing just 10
pounds a month...

... just about as much chance as someone studying a worthless means of
communication as that...

... well, I did, but I am kinda slow, by the time I passed the test it
was too late to protest effectively! ROFLOL!!!

John

Huh ?????? I am glad it is Friday night and you don't have to work
tomorrow ...... how about sharing some of that stuff you are drinking or
smoking ........ cough syrup ?????? John get off of that bedspring antenna
your using for that KW I think something has fried .......

dit dit 73 Tom KI3R ......

Old July 23rd 05, 05:08 AM
John Smith

Geesh...

You guys are for real huh?
You think code and a radio makes you special guys?

Was the license really so difficult for you, you believe the rest of
us with much different opinions are stupid and find it that big a
challenge?

I started building tesla coils at ~10, I got my novice ticket and
built my first single tube transmitter when I was 12, my first degree
was in electronic engineering in '72... I ate this chit up... I was
bored and didn't know what I wanted to be--until they invented the
computer... I returned to college in 1978 and got my BS in CS in 1981
along with a BA in journalism, I completed my MS in CS in '83...
since then I have always taught a night class at the local jr. college
and continue to take classes at the local university to stay current
and be with fresh young minds...

Get real... lay down the opium pipe and step out of the gutter!

And, I just consider myself an average guy (you should see my sister,
she has all the brains in the family!)... of course, I do live in a
nice neighborhood and have nice neighbors...

John

Old July 23rd 05, 05:31 AM

Joe Guthart wrote
I am glad the FCC finally took charge of the situation and decided to drop the code requirements. Here's why ...

"I like Amateur Radio and want it to be a life-long hobby for me ...
however, I just plainly can't take time to effectively study the code
at this point in my life . . . I got my Technician license about two
and a half years ago . . because it was a neat little challenge for me
to combine radio communications with some of the newer digital modes .
.. . Basically, it was fun, not really technical challenging, but a nice
way to relax. I do enjoy making contacts on 6 meters. I would play
around with some different radio, antenna, and computer configurations
and started to develop a relationship with some fellow ham buddies."

- - - -

If you had the time to do all that you had the time to learn 5wpm.

- - - -

"Fellow hams need to sit back and take an objective look at this hobby
because it is dying a rapid death!"

- - - -

The hobby will have to "die" by about 80% before the number of hams
becomes the same as it was when I first got on the bands.
- - - -

"Take a look at the declining number of amateur radio manufacturers and
radios. How could any business justify spending a lot on research and
development in a market that is collapsing?"

- - - -

Within the past 2-3 years the ham equipment manufacturers have
introduced or are about to introduce at least new top-of-the-line HF
xcvrs, the least expensive $3,500, the most expensive, the Icom 7800
costs around $10.5k. Icom didn't thnk they'd sell more than 200 of them
in this country. They sold the whole batch in six weeks. This is a
"collapse"?! You've been listening to the wrong talking heads and
you're simply parroting them and/or rationales are where you find 'em
eh? .

- - - -

"This will not kill our hobby, but will inject more life into it."

- - - -

For maybe two years. Then what?

- - - -

73's to All,

Joe / KG4YJS

w3rv

Old July 23rd 05, 05:40 AM

Within the past 2-3 years the ham equipment manufacturers have
introduced or are about to introduce at least *three* new top-of-the-line HF
xcvrs . . .

Old July 23rd 05, 05:40 AM
John Smith

kelly:

Yep, really dynamic chit goin' on here. Just a quick tune across
those old HF's and you are taken back with the overcrowding and
congestion, my gawd man--it is a damn nightmare!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Ohhhh, that was just a dream, huh? Darn, was just starting to get
interesting! (or, shortly will grin)

John

wrote in message
oups.com...

Joe Guthart wrote

.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:39 PM

Dee Flint wrote:
Boy did you fall for a bunch of propaganda!

Amen. In spades.

As far as the declining number of manufacturers goes, the normal progression in any business
is towards fewer companies serving the market. Unless one takes steps to stop it, a
free market economy goes through a cycle. New product with lots of new companies. Then
continuing consolidation until there is a near monopoly by one or a handful of companies.

That's true in general Dee but what "declining number of manufacturers"
- within the context of ham radio? It just ain't so. I suspect that if
somebody put the effort into pulling together the actual facts they'd
find that the total number of manufacturers in the ham radio market is
higher today than it's ever been in the past.

Almost all of the "glory-days" U.S. supply siders went bust or
abandoned the ham radio market and moved on to survive when the JA's
landed 1975-1980. Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Alinco, Honda, Toyota and
Datsun pulled off what Yamamoto and Nagumo failed to pull off their way
a bit earlier. Within ham radio Hallicrafters, Swan, National,
Hammarlund, Drake and Heath simply evaporated with barely a trace left
in the ham biz, Collins is one which simply moved on. Not a
consolidation in sight anywhere.

Off on another tangent consider the implications of another aspect:
Collins offered only two basics routes a ham could use to get on the HF
bands with their gear at any given point in time. One xcvr and one pair
of separates. Period. Ditto Drake and for the most part Heath too.
Those three companies overwhelmingly dominated the HF ham gear market
for years. Today Icom is offering four desktop HF xcvrs with two more
in the pipeline, Kenwood offers four, and Yeasu has seven in their
catalog with another one coming. Ten-tec and Elecraft are doing nicely.
Not counting all the HF mobile rigs and the equipment being developed
in various skunk works. Yeah it's a free market economy cycle alrighty.

We've never had it better and it keeps getting better. These Junior
Grade "the sky is falling" yahoos need to be written off as as just
that.

w3rv