Old July 23rd 05, 08:07 PM
loray

Default Monitoring Sample

My qth is Bowling Green KY.

Been monitoring hf freqs today, since sunrise. Observed
following:

6670 khz, three guys talking about truck driving and where
they will stop next, type stuff they carrying, etc.

14178 khz, man & woman, never gave a call sign, talked
over a hour, used cb slang, set sked for tonight.

28422 khz, two guys talking about how code not needed for a
ham license anymore, never gave call signs, sounded like
freebanders. Said they were starting a net on this freq.

Above sampling would tend to indicate ham bands are being
invaded, and the 6 mhz stuff tells me there is little or no
enforcement going on.

73,

loray

Old July 23rd 05, 08:08 PM
John Smith

Loray:

Yeah, kinda like the fall of the "Berlin Wall", all at once and quite
surprising, at least to those hams caught sleeping, huh?

John

Old July 23rd 05, 11:24 PM
an old friend

loray wrote:
My qth is Bowling Green KY.

Been monitoring hf freqs today, since sunrise. Observed
following:

6670 khz, three guys talking about truck driving and where
they will stop next, type stuff they carrying, etc.

14178 khz, man & woman, never gave a call sign, talked
over a hour, used cb slang, set sked for tonight.

28422 khz, two guys talking about how code not needed for a
ham license anymore, never gave call signs, sounded like
freebanders. Said they were starting a net on this freq.

Above sampling would tend to indicate ham bands are being
invaded, and the 6 mhz stuff tells me there is little or no
enforcement going on.

all a pretty good that even the lack of experence of the new folks able
to legaly use hf will not harm anything

73,

loray

Old July 23rd 05, 11:29 PM
John Smith

.... here in the central valley, freebanders are everywhere, especially
the truckers...

John

"an old friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 12:04 AM
Jim Hampton

Hello, John

Yep, and I'm gonna laugh my *ss off when they start using the FM band (oh -
I forgot, they already are) and the AM band. I hope they clobber your ball
game on dish network too

The reality is that somehow there has to be some regulation. Ever been on a
freeway and encountered some idiot (likely drunk) going the wrong way?

Heck, if it gets bad, I can handle it. It isn't the number of guns you
have, it's who you shoot.

25 feet of bell wire on a spark plug to a lawn mower will kill the idiot
running 25 kw screaming "audiooooo....". If he can't hear 'em, he can't
work 'em.

That is just a very simple "for openers".

I've got more twists than a snake, but hope I'll not need them ))

I mention only the obvious; I'll not reveal the really nasty stuff that is
hard to track ..... pins in coax doesn't count; too simple.

Bring 'em on!!!! ROTFLMAO

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 24th 05, 12:24 AM
John Smith

Jim:

I agree, regulation is a given necessity and only a fool would have a
problem with it.

I just realized before everyone else (not really, people have been
screaming it from the tops of towers, for decades), there is a need to
give avg citizens a slice of bandwidth and communications here. If
not, the freebanders are going to be everywhere, it is going to be a
mess, and regulation impossible.

With sufficient bandwidth and access, they will all find it too easy
to conform and be good "responsible" citizens and won't be forced into
becoming "radio criminals." Besides, we have no room in our prisons
for these people and certainly not the money to imprison, abuse and
turn them into "real" criminals which will then endanger and kill us
and our families and friends.

Like I say, sheer logic just dictates no other course of action...

John

Old July 24th 05, 06:58 PM

From: "Jim Hampton" on Sat 23 Jul 2005 23:04

Hello, John

Yep, and I'm gonna laugh my *ss off when they start using the FM band (oh -
I forgot, they already are) and the AM band. I hope they clobber your ball
game on dish network too

The reality is that somehow there has to be some regulation. Ever been on a
freeway and encountered some idiot (likely drunk) going the wrong way?

Heck, if it gets bad, I can handle it. It isn't the number of guns you
have, it's who you shoot.

25 feet of bell wire on a spark plug to a lawn mower will kill the idiot
running 25 kw screaming "audiooooo....". If he can't hear 'em, he can't
work 'em.

Malicious interference to anyone is still malicious interference.
By the existing regulations. You are the one with the license
that can be pulled, NOT the "25 kw" freebander.

Where do you find this mythical freebander running TWENTY FIVE
KILOWATTS?!? [only in newsgroups is where...]

That is just a very simple "for openers".

I've got more twists than a snake, but hope I'll not need them ))

I mention only the obvious; I'll not reveal the really nasty stuff that is
hard to track ..... pins in coax doesn't count; too simple.

You aren't thinking sneaky enough. Try benign acts...such as a
very short wrapping of cellophane tape on any PL-259 plug
center pin. With only one turn wrapping it will insulate that
pin very nicely. Using transparent tape instead of translucent
"magic" tape will make it less easy to spot.

Or get an old auto of the 50s or earlier, do an insulated
wrapping of one of the old plug wires to the existing radio
antenna on the car. Radiates malicious interference very
nicely. If you are caught, blame the auto repair place.

Not to worry. Riley H. knows where to send the federal
marshalls to go get ya...

bit bit

Old July 24th 05, 09:19 PM
hrh

oups.com...
From: "Jim Hampton" on Sat 23 Jul 2005 23:04

Hello, John

[...]

I don't know about 25 kw amps, but amps (leenyers) in the
5 kw to 10 kw range are in wide use and easily obtained.
Amps below 5 kw are as easily procured as just walking in
the store, paying for it and walking out. Now don't go getting
your ham op blood pressure up! Any amplifier should only
be used in a lawful manner and only when in full compliance
with the law and FCC rules & regulations. My point is the
illegal market has a glut of very high power amps. Buddy up
with some local cb-freeband ops, you can learn a lot they don't
teach in the schoolhouse.

Old July 24th 05, 10:26 PM
BugsBunny666

loray wrote:
My qth is Bowling Green KY.
[snip]
14178 khz, man & woman, never gave a call sign, talked
over a hour, used cb slang, set sked for tonight.

28422 khz, two guys talking about how code not needed for a
ham license anymore, never gave call signs, sounded like
freebanders. Said they were starting a net on this freq.

loray

I agree with you. There aren't any technical people at the FCC to
monitor things, most of the folks are politicians who don't give
a rat's ass.

As far as content and lack of ID, tune around 75 meter phone late
at night any night, you'll hear that and much much more - animal
noises, farting in the mic, lots of well behaved adult stuff. Most of
these guys have been hams for years. Thank goodness it isn't all
those no-code folks clogging up the bands. That would be horrible.

BB

Old July 25th 05, 12:10 AM

From: hrh on Jul 24, 1:19 pm

From: "Jim Hampton" on Sat 23 Jul 2005 23:04

Where do you find this mythical freebander running TWENTY FIVE
KILOWATTS?!? [only in newsgroups is where...]

I don't know about 25 kw amps, but amps (leenyers) in the
5 kw to 10 kw range are in wide use and easily obtained.

PROVE IT. Show your work.

Amps below 5 kw are as easily procured as just walking in
the store, paying for it and walking out. Now don't go getting
your ham op blood pressure up! Any amplifier should only
be used in a lawful manner and only when in full compliance
with the law and FCC rules & regulations.

Okay, His Royal Highness, why haven't you REPORTED THIS to
the federal government?!?

My point is the
illegal market has a glut of very high power amps.

My point is that the Internet has a lot of bull**** on it,
everything from these mythical "25 KW 'leenyars'" to aliens
from outer space stored in "Area 51." Doesn't make it true.

If you ARE such a "good citizen," why haven't you DONE
anything about it? Present your evidence to the feds.
If you have any, besides a lot of wind and imagination.

It is the civic DUTY of all good citizens to report
infractions of the LAW. Are you a good citizen or just
another anony-mousie in a newsgroup shoveling BS?

Buddy up
with some local cb-freeband ops, you can learn a lot they don't
teach in the schoolhouse.

Royal Highness, I learned a LOT a LONG TIME ago and NOT in any
"schoolhouse" full of conspiracy theorists all trying to out-BS
the BSers. A very long time ago I learned to fire up HF
transmitters with outputs of 15 to 40 KW. Legally. Don't try
to foist off some anony-mousie "inside knowledge" on anyone
who has been IN the industry for a long time.

Go somewhere else where you think you can pull off a con on
some unsuspecting yokel, okay?

BBC World Service and BBC Monitoring Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 April 11th 05 03:37 AM
BBC World Service and BBC Monitoring Mike Terry Shortwave 0 April 11th 05 03:37 AM
Stupid Scanner Question. D. Brown Scanner 15 March 24th 05 06:44 AM
Monitoring UFOs Dee Throat Scanner 3 May 25th 04 10:35 PM
Monitoring Times Trunk Freqs for Florida are Wrong? N8KDV Scanner 0 August 20th 03 10:25 PM