Old August 31st 05, 04:23 PM

Bill Sohl wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:
Nobody ever claimed that it is a dead mode.

cut

"Obsolete"? Morse Code is the second most popular mode
in HF amateur radio.

When are you going ENGLISH

Obsolete is not useless, ask the marines from Leyte about the
uselessness of the obseltete Batteships tat rendered gunfire
support

Why are there written exams with questions on electronics for
those who chose not to build their radios?

Indeed I ask why there are so many question about
electronics on the
tech pool as I try to teach them to my partner.

Same old tired analogy.

It's a valid question, Bill. And I'm not the only
one asking it.

PLEASE...if you want electronics taken
off the written test, then say so.

I don't. In fact I think there should be *more* in-depth
electronics testing on the exams. And I'll take the new
exams myself if needed.

Failing that, your wasting your
time and effort dragging up this tired argument.

It's not me who is bringing it up.

Look at NCVEC's second proposal. They wanted an entry-level
exam with even less technical content. They were dead-serious.

Even better, look at the "Amateur Radio In The 21st Century"
paper, which was in CQ and also on the 'net. That one says
the future of amateur radio depends on an easier-to-get
entrylevel license. Says there's too much math and theory
in the current Tech (!).

Worse, it proposed to remove *all* regulations questions from
the test for the new entry-level license, and instead just
require a signed statement that the licensee had read and
understood the rules.

Is that acceptable to you, Bill? It's not acceptable to me,
with or without code test!

Fortunately, FCC denied NCVEC's idea. This time. But I'll bet we
haven't heard the end of it.

I also question the real need to memeroize band edges and
even pieces
of the band plan in general pool I am reading now

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

but neither of these issues is anoything but a smoke screen
cut

Yup, Jim's smoke screen anyway... :-) :-)

Not a smoke screen - a valid analogy. Ask the Gang of Four at
NCVEC...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 31st 05, 06:35 PM
an_old_friend

wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:
Nobody ever claimed that it is a dead mode.
cut

"Obsolete"? Morse Code is the second most popular mode
in HF amateur radio.

When are you going ENGLISH

Obsolete is not useless, ask the marines from Leyte about the
uselessness of the obseltete Batteships tat rendered gunfire
support

Why are there written exams with questions on electronics for
those who chose not to build their radios?

Indeed I ask why there are so many question about
electronics on the
tech pool as I try to teach them to my partner.

Same old tired analogy.

It's a valid question, Bill. And I'm not the only
one asking it.

no it isn't
but no you are not the only one using this red herring

PLEASE...if you want electronics taken
off the written test, then say so.

I don't. In fact I think there should be *more* in-depth
electronics testing on the exams. And I'll take the new
exams myself if needed.

WHY?

why does anyone need to memorized what Inductor do? or how caps ad in
paralell?

Failing that, your wasting your
time and effort dragging up this tired argument.

It's not me who is bringing it up.

Look at NCVEC's second proposal. They wanted an entry-level
exam with even less technical content. They were dead-serious.

Elcetronics is the only thing techinal?

Even better, look at the "Amateur Radio In The 21st Century"
paper, which was in CQ and also on the 'net. That one says
the future of amateur radio depends on an easier-to-get
entrylevel license. Says there's too much math and theory
in the current Tech (!).

and there is not enough Pratical stuff

Worse, it proposed to remove *all* regulations questions from
the test for the new entry-level license, and instead just
require a signed statement that the licensee had read and
understood the rules.

not a bad idea given the way even the extras don't seem to agree on
what the rules say.

But an entry license without the ability to anything but shelf gear
limited power etc

Is that acceptable to you, Bill? It's not acceptable to me,
with or without code test!

Fortunately, FCC denied NCVEC's idea. This time. But I'll bet we
haven't heard the end of it.

no it isn't

we will always see the tug between getting folks in the door and the
keep em out with hard tests

Old August 31st 05, 08:29 PM
Bill Sohl

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:
Nobody ever claimed that it is a dead mode.
cut

"Obsolete"? Morse Code is the second most popular mode
in HF amateur radio.

When are you going ENGLISH

Obsolete is not useless, ask the marines from Leyte about the
uselessness of the obseltete Batteships tat rendered gunfire
support

Why are there written exams with questions on electronics for
those who chose not to build their radios?

Indeed I ask why there are so many question about
electronics on the
tech pool as I try to teach them to my partner.

Same old tired analogy.

It's a valid question, Bill. And I'm not the only
one asking it.

It is only valid if the point is made with the FCC. So far
I don't see that being a valid question to the FCC.

PLEASE...if you want electronics taken
off the written test, then say so.

I don't. In fact I think there should be *more* in-depth
electronics testing on the exams. And I'll take the new
exams myself if needed.

Failing that, your wasting your
time and effort dragging up this tired argument.

It's not me who is bringing it up.

You appear to be the champion of the idea/question
in this RRAP forum.

Look at NCVEC's second proposal. They wanted an entry-level
exam with even less technical content. They were dead-serious.

Even better, look at the "Amateur Radio In The 21st Century"
paper, which was in CQ and also on the 'net. That one says
the future of amateur radio depends on an easier-to-get
entrylevel license. Says there's too much math and theory
in the current Tech (!).

Worse, it proposed to remove *all* regulations questions from
the test for the new entry-level license, and instead just
require a signed statement that the licensee had read and
understood the rules.

Is that acceptable to you, Bill? It's not acceptable to me,
with or without code test!

Fortunately, FCC denied NCVEC's idea. This time. But I'll bet we
haven't heard the end of it.

The future I can't be responsible for. As you properly point out...it is
NOT an issue now because the FCC has dismissed the ide.

I also question the real need to memeroize band edges and
even pieces
of the band plan in general pool I am reading now

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

but neither of these issues is anoything but a smoke screen
cut

Yup, Jim's smoke screen anyway... :-) :-)

Not a smoke screen - a valid analogy. Ask the Gang of Four at
NCVEC...

Gang of Four??? But in any case, your analogy hasn't had any
effect on the FCC and they are the only ones that count.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old August 31st 05, 09:17 PM

From: on Wed 31 Aug 2005 08:23

wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

Why are there written exams with questions on electronics for
those who chose not to build their radios?

Indeed I ask why there are so many question about
electronics on the
tech pool as I try to teach them to my partner.

Same old tired analogy.

It's a valid question, Bill. And I'm not the only
one asking it.

Paranoia loves company...

PLEASE...if you want electronics taken
off the written test, then say so.

I don't. In fact I think there should be *more* in-depth
electronics testing on the exams. And I'll take the new
exams myself if needed.

Hello? Who ya gonna call? Test Busters?

The VEC Question Pool Committee, all licensed radio amateurs,
make up ALL the questions and answers.

Nasty evil FCC doesn't make them up, they only approve the
Pools.

Failing that, your wasting your
time and effort dragging up this tired argument.

It's not me who is bringing it up.

Paranoia NEEDS company?

Look at NCVEC's second proposal. They wanted an entry-level
exam with even less technical content. They were dead-serious.

Nasty old VECs! What do they know? :-)

Even better, look at the "Amateur Radio In The 21st Century"
paper, which was in CQ and also on the 'net. That one says
the future of amateur radio depends on an easier-to-get
entrylevel license. Says there's too much math and theory
in the current Tech (!).

"What evil lurks in the hearts of men...it is the VEC!"

Worse, it proposed to remove *all* regulations questions from
the test for the new entry-level license, and instead just
require a signed statement that the licensee had read and
understood the rules.

Waaaaa! Waaaaa!

Is that acceptable to you, Bill? It's not acceptable to me,
with or without code test!

Run for office at the ARRL! Get a political appointment
as Commissioner at the FCC! Show 'em who's Boss!

Fortunately, FCC denied NCVEC's idea. This time. But I'll bet we
haven't heard the end of it.

Not from Jimmie, Mighty Macho Morseman!

Mount the barricades, the Enemy are approaching!

I also question the real need to memeroize band edges and
even pieces
of the band plan in general pool I am reading now

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

"Come with us now to the days of yesteryear, before RF
exposure and NO BANDPLANS!" - intro to "The Lone Stranger" of
the wild, wild east when real men were morsemen, feared
throughout all radioland. "Hi-yo Silverplate!"

but neither of these issues is anoything but a smoke screen
cut

Yup, Jim's smoke screen anyway... :-) :-)

Not a smoke screen - a valid analogy. Ask the Gang of Four at
NCVEC...

Only "four?" :-) Count again, using both hands' fingers...

Old August 31st 05, 09:23 PM

an_old_friend wrote:
wrote:
Bill Sohl wrote:

Why are there written exams with questions on electronics for
those who chose not to build their radios?

Indeed I ask why there are so many question about
electronics on the
tech pool as I try to teach them to my partner.

Same old tired analogy.

It's a valid question, Bill. And I'm not the only
one asking it.

no it isn't
but no you are not the only one using this red herring

Except it's not a red herring.

PLEASE...if you want electronics taken
off the written test, then say so.

I don't. In fact I think there should be *more* in-depth
electronics testing on the exams. And I'll take the new
exams myself if needed.

WHY?

Because I can. And because I won't ask others to pass a test
that I can't pass myself.

[...]

That's what NCVEC wanted...

Is that acceptable to you, Bill? It's not acceptable to me,
with or without code test!

Fortunately, FCC denied NCVEC's idea. This time. But I'll bet we haven't heard the end of it.

no it isn't

we will always see the tug between getting folks in the door
and the keep em out with hard tests

Thank you, Mark - you've just proved my point!

For some folks (like Mark) it's not about the code test
in isolation. It's about "hard" tests in general - written,
code, practical, whatever.

Did you read the "21st Century" paper? I wrote a detailed
rebuttal.

I also question the real need to memeroize band edges and
even pieces
of the band plan in general pool I am reading now

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

but neither of these issues is anoything but a smoke screen
cut

Yup, Jim's smoke screen anyway... :-) :-)

Not a smoke screen - a valid analogy. Ask the Gang of Four at
NCVEC...

That's what they called themselves in the "21st Century" thing...

There was a time, not so long ago, when if someone had suggested
a nocodetest amateur license, they would have been told it was a
"red herring" and "something FCC would never consider".

Now look where we are.

The trend isn't just towards less code testing, but to less
testing overall.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 31st 05, 09:29 PM
an_old_friend

an_old_friend wrote:
wrote:
Bill Sohl wrote:

Why are there written exams with questions on electronics for
those who chose not to build their radios?

Indeed I ask why there are so many question about
electronics on the
tech pool as I try to teach them to my partner.

Same old tired analogy.

It's a valid question, Bill. And I'm not the only
one asking it.

no it isn't
but no you are not the only one using this red herring

Except it's not a red herring.

PLEASE...if you want electronics taken
off the written test, then say so.

I don't. In fact I think there should be *more* in-depth
electronics testing on the exams. And I'll take the new
exams myself if needed.

WHY?

Because I can. And because I won't ask others to pass a test
that I can't pass myself.

No why should we all be tested a=on more electronics

Old August 31st 05, 11:50 PM
Dee Flint

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Sohl wrote:

[snip]

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

You know, I'd object to a ham trying to read charts and bandplans while they
are driving. It's just as bad as reading a newspaper or trying to shave.
So I say yes they should at least be required to know from memory where at
least the regulations allow them to be.

The read the chart/bandplan concept has the underlying assumption that one
will be operating from a fixed location with access to reference materials.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 1st 05, 12:25 AM

Dee, it's nice to know you don't shave while driving to work... :-)

Old September 1st 05, 01:45 AM
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Sohl wrote:

[snip]

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

You know, I'd object to a ham trying to read charts and bandplans while they
are driving. It's just as bad as reading a newspaper or trying to shave.
So I say yes they should at least be required to know from memory where at
least the regulations allow them to be.

why when they can program there rigs to know it in many cases

The read the chart/bandplan concept has the underlying assumption that one
will be operating from a fixed location with access to reference materials.

You are simply wrong there nothing about a fixed location is assumed
that one prepares for operation is assumed

Most hams would assume the would carry a log book with them and the rig
so a page or 5 is charts

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE