Old September 4th 05, 03:46 AM
Larry K3LT

Default I'm Baaaaack...

Greetings all, and hope all is well with everyone. I'm back after my
fairly lengthy hiatus; I have moved out of the apartment I lived in for
12 years and moved down the road 3 miles East. I bought a 3-bedroom
duplex house in a very heavily CCR'd community -- but hopefully I'll
manage to get back on-the-air in some minimal way pretty soon. I need
a new HF rig for one thing -- my ancient IC-735 is pretty much toast
after over 18 years of constant service.

Ham radio on the local scene is pretty much toast as well -- club
membership is a third of what it was even 3 years ago, and between
making the move, doing my job, and dealing with some health issues, my
own participation has been virtually non-existant for more than a year.
I'm hoping that the coming of cooler weather I'll be able to do more
stuff radio-wise, perhaps get a dipole in my attic or rig a wire
vertical up the side of the house and load it with my auto-tuner.

As far as code v. no-code goes, I don't really care any more. I'm all
but done with that topic. The handwriting is on the wall, and no
matter what the FCC and the ARRL do to dumb-down the licensing
requirements, we will not see any big increases in the number of hams.
Even I now own a cell phone; so there it is. I can chat for hours free
of charge anywhere in the world after 9 PM EST and on weekends. BTW,
if anyone wants to do just that, e-mail me and we'll exchange phone
numbers. If you're on Verizon, we can chat for free 24/7!

Well, that's all for now. I'll be around.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 4th 05, 05:12 AM
KØHB

"Larry K3LT" wrote

I'm back after my fairly lengthy hiatus;

Welcome back, Larryl. Nothing new happened while you were gone.

Beep beep!
de Hans, K0HB

Old September 4th 05, 12:28 PM
garigue

Welcome back Larry ........ Unfortunately I would have to agree with your
comments .... Hope to hear you on the air with my "comprimised antenna".

73 Tom KI3R

Old September 4th 05, 02:30 PM
Bert Craig

Welcome back, Larry. Congrats on your new home and I hope all is well.
(Particularly re. your health.)

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

oups.com...

Old September 4th 05, 04:08 PM

Larry K3LT wrote:
[...]

Larry, welcome back. I've often wondered about what was keeping you,
so maybe now you'll have more time to keep us entertained.

Amateur radio is moving back to it's roots; a solitary activity in one
corner of the basement. I think the boomer influence of doing
everything in mass is starting to wash away.

As far as cell phones go, I've got one too. I'm on a dirt cheap plan,
and my anytime minutes are about zip. You never know when an emergency
will come up, though.

Stay well, Brian

Old September 4th 05, 08:40 PM
Mike Coslo

Welcome back Larry,

The neighborhood's gone downhill a bit recently.

- mike KB3EIA -
Old September 5th 05, 01:58 PM

Larry K3LT wrote:
Greetings all, and hope all is well with everyone.

Greetings, Larry!

I'm back after my
fairly lengthy hiatus; I have moved out of
the apartment I lived in for
12 years and moved down the road 3 miles East.
I bought a 3-bedroom
duplex house in a very heavily CCR'd community

Just for the record - why that house and not one
without antenna restrictions?

-- but hopefully I'll
manage to get back on-the-air in some minimal
way pretty soon.

Excellent!

I need
a new HF rig for one thing -- my ancient IC-735 is pretty much toast
after over 18 years of constant service.

Lots of good new and used rigs out there.

As far as code v. no-code goes, I don't
really care any more. I'm all
but done with that topic. The handwriting
is on the wall, and no
matter what the FCC and the ARRL do to dumb-down the licensing
requirements, we will not see any big increases
in the number of hams.

I agree 100%. Nor will we see the techno-revolution
in ham radio that's been predicted.

Good luck with the new place and getting back OTA.
Perhaps we shall cross paths on 7037 kHz - Morse
Code, of course. Or at a hamfest - fall season is
coming fast.

73 de Jim, N2EY