Old September 21st 05, 08:40 AM
Roger Dodger

It's also a ripe area for any group to do influence-control on
many without them realizing what is happening.

I had a feeling that we'd get down to your intimating that there's some
conspiracy to keep radio amateurs in the dark.

No conspiracy. Most choose to be in the dark.

It's the effect of the Darkness-Emitting Diode (DED) used by
morsemen to show the state of their keying. Morse = DED. :-)

[Heil doesn't have a sense of humor so the above is wasted on him]

===================================

Poor flatulent Lennie. A primo example of an Octogenarian "Gas Baggeous"
malcontentus.

Old September 21st 05, 10:43 AM
Leonard

oups.com...
From: Alun L. Palmer on Sep 20, 9:40 pm

" wrote in

snip

Wait until the code test is abolished, and then get your Extra. That will
annoy them to the maximum extent!

Nah, I'm keeping them GUESSING right now...annoys the snit out of
them!

:-)

What? No 16 kb response?
Your flatulence must be at an ebb.

Old September 21st 05, 12:25 PM
Frank Gilliland

On 20 Sep 2005 15:59:09 -0700, wrote in
. com:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

Doubtful. Morse code is the simplest and most univeral method of radio
communication, but is hardly limited to radio -- don't forget that it
was invented for -wire- telegraphy. It has also been used extensively
with optical and other types of communication. It has existed since
before radio was invented, continues to exist outside the sphere of
radio, and certainly won't die if it's abandoned as a requirement for
radio. But as long as Morse code exists, radio operators will continue
to use it.

Now that's not an argument either for or against the dropping of the
code requirement. Like I said before, it's no big deal. And like I
also said before, what -IS- a big deal is the dumbing down of the
written test. I still don't understand why there is so much bitching
(from both sides) about the code test yet almost no discussion about
the 'memory' test. Anyone care to explain that?

Frank, I thought that you weren't a ham?

I'm not.

I've been tempted for years to get my license so I can play around on
160m and UHF (nothing else sounds particulary interesting). But from
what I have seen of ham radio in the past few years I don't really
like it. Some hams seem to be absorbed in the electronics while others
are into gab sessions; yet few hams are able to grasp the duality of
'radio communications'. And many hams think their amateur status is
the defining characteristic of their existence. Heck, I was a BE for
almost ten years but I don't advertise that fact on a T-shirt and
baseball cap, or sign my name with a "B.E." at the end.

I thought ham radio was supposed to be a recreational pursuit, not a
religion or political ideology. But from what I see, it seems as if
getting a license means you have to choose sides and fight a heated
battle for what I would expect to be a HOBBY!!!

Old September 21st 05, 01:13 PM
Michael Coslo

KØHB wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/drbfk

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hans, the police, sherrif, fire, EMS, dog catcher, etc, can only
procure the systems offered to them by Motorola, GE, Vertex, Johnson,
etc.

And a good point that is, Brian. They don't know exactly what is
needed, and can only buy what they are told will work for them (this time)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 21st 05, 01:41 PM
Michael Coslo

Alun L. Palmer wrote:

Wait until the code test is abolished, and then get your Extra. That will
annoy them to the maximum extent!

Why on earth would that annoy me?

BTW, Alun. I never did get an answer from you on that other question I
asked. You approve or not?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 21st 05, 03:16 PM
KØHB

"Michael Coslo" wrote

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to work, it
has to connect the whole nation.

Mike,

Come back to the discussion when you understand the term "regional
interoperability".

DOS Hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with "connect the whole nation".

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old September 21st 05, 09:05 PM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:36:31 -0400, Michael Coslo wrote:

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to
work, it has to connect the whole nation. When New Orleans is under
water, they don't just need to talk to the locals, they need to get word
out to the whole country - or at least the parts that can send help.

That 'sposed to be the county and state Emergency Services and
National Guard's task with their obscenely expensive Rockwell-Collins
ALE HF radios that are 'sposed to be able to load up on a doorknob
and have all sorts of DoD/FEMA channels to play on.

We here in the back woods of Oregon have those in our county and
state EOCs and we also have a gaggle of MARS folks who have
those capabilities.

Notice all the 'sposed in the above. Is it or is it not a people
problem?

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old September 22nd 05, 01:01 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to work, it
has to connect the whole nation.

Mike,

Come back to the discussion when you understand the term "regional
interoperability".

DOS Hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with "connect the whole nation".

Hans,

As the Czar of this discussion, how about TELLING us exactly what
Obrien's regional interopability plan is? ;^) Even a little clue might
help the dillatentes like me.

And I'm telling you that IMO any system that doesn't connect areas
larger than "regional" is not going to work under many circumstances.

Of course I could be wrong.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 22nd 05, 01:07 AM
Mike Coslo

Phil Kane wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:36:31 -0400, Michael Coslo wrote:

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to
work, it has to connect the whole nation. When New Orleans is under
water, they don't just need to talk to the locals, they need to get word
out to the whole country - or at least the parts that can send help.

That 'sposed to be the county and state Emergency Services and
National Guard's task with their obscenely expensive Rockwell-Collins
ALE HF radios that are 'sposed to be able to load up on a doorknob
and have all sorts of DoD/FEMA channels to play on.

We here in the back woods of Oregon have those in our county and
state EOCs and we also have a gaggle of MARS folks who have
those capabilities.

Notice all the 'sposed in the above. Is it or is it not a people
problem?

Yes, it is a people problem. Is that wonderful radio going to be at the
other end when it is needed? Just having one on one end of the emergency
isn't too helpful.

Emergencies tend to be random, and tend to wipe out a lot of important
things when they do happen. Maybe if we can make all of our disasters
happen in predetermined places?

- Mike KB3EIA -