Old September 12th 05, 08:06 PM
Mike Coslo

Default For everyones reading pleasure - Hams involvement in Katrina

All from non ARRL sources

Arizona Daily Star

http://tinyurl.com/dw6ul

Huntsville Alabama, the Huntsville Times....

http://tinyurl.com/boj5b

Lisbon Ohio Morning Journal.....

http://tinyurl.com/c9qvo

West Point MS Daily Times Leader....

http://tinyurl.com/8cb6y

MaCalester OK News-Capital....

http://tinyurl.com/8hbmc

Mountain View Telegraph. Albuquerque NM...

http://tinyurl.com/73s2u

The Huntsville Item (TX) ......

http://tinyurl.com/bsmzn

CBS News....

http://tinyurl.com/7kv93

New York Newsday....

http://tinyurl.com/dof5d

NBC......

http://tinyurl.com/b2ffr

There is a lot more, but I have some errands to run.

Ham haters - on this issue, you are owned.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old September 13th 05, 12:04 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
All from non ARRL sources

Ten from Martin, St. Lucie head north to help recovery
By Michael C. Bender, Jim Reeder

Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

Thursday, September 01, 2005

An 82-year-old World War II nurse, an amateur radio operator and a
former Los Angeles paramedic were among the several Treasure Coast
residents leaving Wednesday for the northern Gulf Coast to offer
food, help and better communications to those devastated by Hurricane
Katrina.

"It sounds like where we're heading is 10 times worse than what
(Hurricane) Charley was," said Rob Stoll, a 41-year-old Red Cross
volunteer headed toward Mobile,
The Stuart resident is trained to drive a mobile food truck, assess
damage for the Red Cross or supervise individual cases.

"I'm definitely expecting to see a lot more traumatic injuries,
people with a lot more mental stress, a lot more devastation," said
Stoll, a former Los Angeles paramedic. "But I just feel as though I'm
a little better prepared this year than I was last year."

Five men and two vehicles packed with electronics left St. Lucie
County to assist rescuers with communication equipment that was
damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

The equipment will serve as a switchboard for emergency workers with
different types of radios.

"If you had a citizens band radio and somebody else had an 800 MHz
radio, we can help you talk to each other," said Greg Bunting of the
St. Lucie County Public Safety Department.

Bill Sinbine, an amateur radio operator who works at the St. Lucie
Nuclear Plant, will make the trip on loan from Florida Power & Light.
He went to Arcadia last year after Hurricane Charley struck.

"It worked great in Arcadia," Sinbine said. "This (trailer)and
amateur radio was the only communications they had for a while."

Eight antennas can be raised and lowered on a 35-foot hand-cranked
mast.

The group expects to be sent to Mississippi today after spending
Wednesday night in Tallahassee.

Five Martin County Red Cross volunteers will help with food, damage
assessment and necessary paperwork.

Jean Smith, an 82-year-old former World War II nurse, will make her
46th trip to a disaster area when she goes to help with record
keeping.

"I've earned these wrinkles," said Smith, of Hobe Sound. "I can do
most everything, just not as long as I used to 25 years ago."

This is just the start of Treasure Coast residents headed to the
disaster area, officials said.

"I've got people begging to go up there," said Maj. Mike Monahan,
director of law enforcement for the St. Lucie County Sheriff's
Office. "Every time you turn on the television, things are worse than
they were two hours before."

Mary Sawyer, director of the American Red Cross Martin County
Chapter, said more than a dozen Martin County volunteers are waiting
for assignments.

"This job is going to last for months," Sawyer said. "It's going to
be similar to what happened here last year and for Hurricane Andrew.
After Andrew, we were still feeding people out of trucks at
Thanksgiving."

For those interested in volunteering, the Martin County Red Cross
will hold a disaster relief training course at its Kanner Highway
chapter from 1 to 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Fund-raising efforts are under way locally with Core Communities
promising to match the first $25,000 residents donate at its
Tradition Welcome Center in Port St. Lucie. Checks made out to the
American Red Cross, Salvation Army or Catholic Charities of New
Orleans can be mailed or delivered to Core Communities, 10489 S.W.
Meeting St., Port St. Lucie, Fla. 34987.

In addition, proceeds from admission to Friday night's St. Lucie Mets
game against Vero Beach will be given to the relief fund.

The St. Lucie and Martin County school districts have several fund-
raisers planned for the next several weeks, officials said.

"We want to reciprocate what was done for us last year," St. Lucie
spokeswoman Ginger King said.

Find this article at:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...s/epaper/2005/
09/01/m1b_tcrescue_0901.html

Thursday, September 01, 2005

An 82-year-old World War II nurse, an amateur radio operator and a
former Los Angeles paramedic were among the several Treasure Coast
residents leaving Wednesday for the northern Gulf Coast to offer
food, help and better communications to those devastated by Hurricane
Katrina.

Yeah, but it would be easier to write in newsgroups bitching about how
amateurs don't contribute anything. (sarcasm alert off)

[...]

The trained operator concept, eh?

"It worked great in Arcadia," Sinbine said. "This (trailer)and
amateur radio was the only communications they had for a while."

Eight antennas can be raised and lowered on a 35-foot hand-cranked
mast.

The group expects to be sent to Mississippi today after spending
Wednesday night in Tallahassee.

Five Martin County Red Cross volunteers will help with food, damage
assessment and necessary paperwork.

Jean Smith, an 82-year-old former World War II nurse, will make her
46th trip to a disaster area when she goes to help with record
keeping.

Awesome! You go girl!

[...]

It is very gratifying to see what some people are doing to help. I am a
little bothered that I cannot go there in person and help, but
unfortunate events at work, with one cohort leaving, and the untimely
death of another have left me with little option.

It is such a nice change from the racist crap, the ham baiting crap,
and the general bs that has been posted here and in other Usenet groups
by some people.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old September 13th 05, 06:49 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

Mike Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/c9qvo

HAMs don't seek spotlight, work behind scenes in emergency situations.
By RYAN GILLISJournal Staff Writer

Goodness!! According to some on this group, all hams can do is brag.
Old September 13th 05, 06:52 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

Mike Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8cb6y

Ham radio proves to be more than a hobby
By Jeannetta Edwards

Heavens, she must be mistaken!! And we have been told time and time
again by a certain bunch that it is *just* a hobby.

Old September 13th 05, 06:55 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

Mike Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8hbmc

Amateur radio operators provide vital communications support

By Teresa Atkerson
MCALESTER NEWS-CAPITAL (MCALESTER, Okla.)

Hey an_old_nobody, notice the words *vital communications*.

Lennyboy sure is quite lately.

Wonder where all them thar CeeBee fellers are?

Old September 13th 05, 07:14 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

Mike Coslo wrote:

And on 9/9/2005 1:17 PM - Lennieboy posted:

Thousands and thousands of volunteers and paid workers are very
busy at the moment, doing many things of DIRECT AID to the
homeless and displaced, all WITHOUT any direct "need" to do radio
communications about "health and welfare messages." That's
important work. MOST (very nearly all) of that work can be done
WITHOUT a lot of radio communications. Coordination of effort
does require communications of some kind, but the "coordination"
of ALL agencies, paid and volunteer, were simply NOT prepared to
deal with the magnitude of damage and destruction that happened.
That includes amateur radio, folks, whether it smarts your little
egos or not. Did anyone really think that a few dozen hams
could really make a "difference" by sending health and welfare
messages from millions to other millions? No doubt the self-
proclaimed amateur patriots far from the disaster scene were
happy as larks to see the tiniest factoid of their Great Help
to the victims of hurricane Katrina. They have waved their
banners, cheered as loudly (and abusively) as possible, pinned
invisible medals of valor to their equally invisible uniforms
of service they wear in the newsgroups.

NBC......

http://tinyurl.com/b2ffr

With communications out all over New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, the
professionals are turning to amateurs to be their ears to what's going
on in the areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Local operators say they've been in touch with people in and around New
Orleans since the beginning of the ordeal.

Ed McLaughlin, of Kennewick, says in the days that followed the
disaster, he was able to help a family in Medford, Ore., get an update
on how their relatives were. He's provided similar contact for a family
in Chicago.

The reason-- *ham radio, which is able to get in places that have no
other means for communication when land-based infrastructure fails*.

"Ham radio has been such a success during these recent days that FEMA
and the Red Cross are now using it as their primary mode for
communication until other modes of communication are restored."

Yeah, too bad ham radio can only play a very minor roll in emergency
communications. Notice the words *primary mode for communications* in
the above lennieboy.

Ham radio has proven once again just how valuable it can provide and is
at this very moment providing *vital* communications in times of
emergencies, much to the complete dismay of a few individuals here.
Old September 13th 05, 06:01 PM
Michael Coslo

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/c9qvo

HAMs don't seek spotlight, work behind scenes in emergency situations.
By RYAN GILLISJournal Staff Writer

Goodness!! According to some on this group, all hams can do is brag.

If a ham mentions something, even in passing, some consider that
bragging. That is because they don't want to hear anything good about
ham radio at all.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 13th 05, 06:04 PM
Michael Coslo

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8cb6y

Ham radio proves to be more than a hobby
By Jeannetta Edwards

Heavens, she must be mistaken!! And we have been told time and time
again by a certain bunch that it is *just* a hobby.

Yes, everyone from the CiC down to the newspapers are wrong!

But this is America, and we have a right to look as smart or as dumb as
we wish..... ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 13th 05, 06:09 PM
Michael Coslo

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8hbmc

Amateur radio operators provide vital communications support

By Teresa Atkerson
MCALESTER NEWS-CAPITAL (MCALESTER, Okla.)

Hey an_old_nobody, notice the words *vital communications*.

Lennyboy sure is quite lately.

Perap helping with the recovery efforts?

Wonder where all them thar CeeBee fellers are?

To be fair, I did a similar search with CB and Citizen Band radio. I
did come up with one relevent hit in which a truck driver arranged for
someone to get a ride when their car ran out of gas.

- Mike