Old October 10th 05, 08:59 PM
AB8MQ

Default Why can't I even pass the test or learn 5 wpm morse code??????????

wrote:
I believe what many novices fail to realize, copying 5-wpm code is far
more difficult to read than is 30-wpm code.

As your experience with CW increases, you'll suddenly realize that one
day you no longer hear the individual dots and dashes, but recognize
the code stream as characters and numbers immediately. I suppose it's
recognition of the morse rythm as individual characters.

For example, you never hear 'a' as discrete dots and dashes, but as a
composite sound, not dit-dah. For some strange reason, the ARRL code
practices transmissions fail to emphasize this very important part in
developing code skill, whereas Navy radio operator training courses do.

The W1AW code practice transmissions would benefit greatly if they
transmitted all morse characters at a 20-wpm rate and adjusted the
spacing between characters to a much lower rate, just as the Navy does.

On the other hand, it is difficult for an experienced CW operator to
identify the characters of code transmitted at a uniform 5 or 10 wpm
rate, because the individual dots and dashes are being tranmitted at
such a slow rate that you cannot identify the unique sound of any
individual character.

And no, I wasn't in the Navy but as a child was taught code by an older
railway signalman using the traditional telegraph clicker. After that,
the transition to listening to audio tone sequence or morse code was a
piece of cake.

I've been told that at even higher rates you learn to hear words, not
individual characters, but I'm not yet that good.

Hope this helps. Harry C.

Mr. Roger L. Wiseman

610 Glen Haven Avenue

Glendale, WV 26038-1302

SUBJECT: Amateur Radio license KC8JBO

Dear Mr. Wiseman:

Pursuant to Section 97.519(d)(2) of the
Commission's Rules, 47
C.F.R.
Section 97.519(d)(2), the Commission has the
authority to re-
administer any
examination element previously administered by
Volunteer
Examiners (VE's).
The Commission may either administer the
examination itself, or
under the
supervision of a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator
(VEC) or VE
designated by
the Commission.

Accordingly, we are requiring you to re-take the
General Class
Amateur
Examination, (Elements 2, 3(A) and 3(B)) under the
supervision
of an
American Radio Relay League Volunteer Examiner
Coordinator. This
examination
must be completed on or before September 11, 2000.
The required
code speed
that you must demonstrate is 5 words per minute.

Please be prepared to verify your current address
and to present
a photo
identification. Pursuant to Commission rules, your
license will
be cancelled
if you do not appear for re-examination. You will
be granted an
Amateur
Radio license consistent with the elements you
pass upon re-
examination.

Sincerely,

W. Riley Hollingsworth

Special Counsel, Amateur Radio

Enforcement Bureau

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 10th 05, 09:50 PM

Lardass Lloyd Davies the eternal no code technician wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Very good, Harry.

Mr.

Roger still passed his 13 word per minute code exam for his General,
fatty. It was a breeze passing the mere 5 wpm when he had to retest.
That restest wasn't much of a "punishment", since he passed it and
still upgraded to Extra. And he did it in a much shorter time than
you've been a ham. You've
been a ham over 10 years and you still can't pass either the theory or
the code.

LARDASS Davies admits he's mentally challenged
in
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1073965472
"I have no problems with learning code. I get stuck after I work on
about 5-10 letters.
I cannot go any further. I'm stuck. I get a mental block."

Can you say contradiction?