Old November 27th 05, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default An English Teacher

From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm

From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

Did you work for FCC in 1951, Len? Did you see FCC chuckling
at handwritten letters?

In 1951 I was working at my first full-time job, nowhere
close to DC.

So you don't really know what you're talking about when you
talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

Having seen some of the handwritten "comments" sent in on
the 2,272 filings in WT Docket 98-143 and ALL of the 3,795
filings in WT Docket 05-235, some are a hilarious barrel
of laffs! :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

By the way, Docket 98-143 had 303 ADDITIONAL filings after the
twice-revised final end date of 15 Jan 05, the latest being
made on 5 August 2005! :-)

98-143 had an average of 206 filings per month while 05-235
had 949 per month. The percentage of written letter filings
on 98-143 was 10.4 while on 05-235 it was only 2.2 percent.

Things are a bit different now. Internet access to ALL
government is faster than overnight express mail. FCC has
to accept ALL filings. By law.

It's always been that way, Len.

Not before 1934. :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

What...no pointy remark to that? :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

Back about 1964 - a bit more than a dozen years after 1951, and more
than 25 years before "the internet went public", the proposed changes
that would come to be known as "incentive licensing" caused FCC to
receive over 6000 comments. Back then the US amateur population was
less than half what it is today, and practically all of them went by US
mail.

Did the FCC "chuckle" over them?

Did you work for FCC in 1964, Jim-Jim? Did you see all those
"6000" comments?

No - but they existed, nonetheless.

Riiiiight...you went to the Reading Room at the FCC to "see"
them? Was a fairly easy access to documents before 11
September 2001.

Oh, right...the ARRL TOLD YOU! Or you channeled St. Hiram on
the subject and you got the number in a vision?

1964 is FORTY ONE YEARS AGO, old-timer. Two generations in time.
CWO Johnny Walker had already gotten his first spy payments from
the KGB. The Vietnam War was beginning to hot up again now that
the French had given up there. Communist China was busy with
their "cultural revolution." The beginning of the solid-state
era had begun. Teletype Corporation was busy starting marketing
for their 100 WPM teletypewriters. The first of the comm sats
had been lofted. The Cold War was still set on "simmer" with no
sign the flame had gone out. We got coast-to-coast TV, in color,
and some radio amateurs thought manual morse code marked
"excellence in radio!" :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

In 1964 I was Chief Engineer at Birtcher Instruments Division
and had received my Army Honorable Discharge four years before
that.

In other words, you had nothing to do with FCC then, either.

"Nothing?!?" Mais non!

Eight years prior to 1964 I'd already passed my First Phone test
and had been working at four broadcast stations (got the
signatures on the back of my First Phone license certificate).
Had already renewed that First Phone once...through the Long
Beach, CA, FCC Field Office (which was/is in the San Pedro
harbor area). I'd applied for, and gotten two CB licenses (no
test, never was a test for them). I'd already worked at a
southern California broadcast station on a part-time basis, got
that signature on the back of my first renewed First Phone
certificate. I was still subscribing for updates to the FCC
regulations (loose leaf format) from the U.S. GPO but that
would soon change to bound format, reprint every two years
(too many radio services already). I'd already used that First
Phone for radio communications while a student pilot (given up
due to cost of private flying vs other expenses), avoiding
having to get a Restricted 3rd Class Phone (which required
some letters of explanation from the Long Beach, CA, FCC Field
Office to the instructors at Skyways that operated out of Van
Nuys Airport...they didn't believe it). In my job of designing
and engineering semiconductor test sets at Birtcher, all I had
to do on "FCC matters" was making certain those test sets and
their plug-ins didn't exceed incidental RF radiation limits
(the very low-duty cycle plug-ins were found to cause RF
oscillation at tester pulse edges, solved by using ferrite
tubes as chokes on the test socket leads). A renewal of the
CBs was coming up soon, those renewals, pro forma as they were,
had to go to the FCC...and with notary public seals.

Electro-Optical Systems in Pasadena was busy hiring for their
spacecraft work and I shift to there from Monterey Park, CA,
in late 1964. Spacecraft fabrication in a clean room didn't
involve any "FCC licenses." What RF work was needed took
place under government radio regulations, not civil radio.
FCC was not involved in government radio then...or now.

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

No, sweetums, I was NOT opining anything pro/con on morse code
skill as the primus inter pares of amateur radio operating
excellence nor had I any "incentives" for ham radio in 1964.
Based on my "first job in radio" I already knew that morse
code was a dead end in radio in 1964, 41 years ago. Why
bother pursuing a dying technique back then?

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

Old November 28th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm
From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

Did you work for FCC in 1951, Len? Did you see FCC chuckling
at handwritten letters?

In 1951 I was working at my first full-time job, nowhere
close to DC.

So you don't really know what you're talking about when you
talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

Having seen some of the handwritten "comments" sent in on
the 2,272 filings in WT Docket 98-143 and ALL of the 3,795
filings in WT Docket 05-235, some are a hilarious barrel
of laffs! :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

So you really don't know what you're talking about when
you talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

By the way, Docket 98-143 had 303 ADDITIONAL filings after the
twice-revised final end date of 15 Jan 05, the latest being
made on 5 August 2005! :-)

Why does that matter?

98-143 had an average of 206 filings per month while 05-235
had 949 per month. The percentage of written letter filings
on 98-143 was 10.4 while on 05-235 it was only 2.2 percent.

IIRC you had to file on 98-143 by mail.....you couldn't get ECFS
to work for you back then.....

(snort...guffaw...)

Back about 1964 - a bit more than a dozen years after 1951, and more
than 25 years before "the internet went public", the proposed changes
that would come to be known as "incentive licensing" caused FCC to
receive over 6000 comments. Back then the US amateur population was
less than half what it is today, and practically all of them went by US
mail.

Did the FCC "chuckle" over them?

Did you work for FCC in 1964, Jim-Jim? Did you see all those
"6000" comments?

No - but they existed, nonetheless.

Riiiiight...you went to the Reading Room at the FCC to "see"
them? Was a fairly easy access to documents before 11
September 2001.

Oh, right...the ARRL TOLD YOU! Or you channeled St. Hiram on
the subject and you got the number in a vision?

FCC received over 6000 comments on the "incentive licensing" proposals,
Len. Without the internet. That's a fact.

1964 is FORTY ONE YEARS AGO, old-timer.

And only 13 years after 1951.

The fact is that even back then, with no internet and no ECFS,
there were over 6000 comments received by FCC on a proposal to
change the amateur radio license rules. Kinda deflates your rant about
ECFS and such, doesn't it?

Two generations in time.
CWO Johnny Walker had already gotten his first spy payments from
the KGB.

Did he comment on the incentive licensing proposals?

The Vietnam War was beginning to hot up again now that
the French had given up there.

"hot up"?

Communist China was busy with
their "cultural revolution."

We see how well that worked out.

The beginning of the solid-state era had begun.

The beginning had begun? Third graders write better than that, Len.

Besides, the transistor was invented in 1948.... (chuckle)

Teletype Corporation was busy starting marketing
for their 100 WPM teletypewriters.

Marketing to whom? How much did one cost? Do you think the
average ham could afford one?

The first of the comm sats
had been lofted.

"Lofted", huh? Fancy space talk?

OSCAR 1 had been launched in 1961.

The Cold War was still set on "simmer" with no
sign the flame had gone out. We got coast-to-coast TV, in color,
and some radio amateurs thought manual morse code marked
"excellence in radio!" :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

You weren't a ham then and you're not one now. Morse Code is one
form of excellence in radio, btw - then and now.

In 1964 I was Chief Engineer at Birtcher Instruments Division
and had received my Army Honorable Discharge four years before
that.

Y'know, Len, you sure seem to have held a lot of different jobs at a
lot
of different companies over the years. Couldn't you get along with
people?

In other words, you had nothing to do with FCC then, either.

"Nothing?!?" Mais non!

Nothing. You didn't work for FCC, didn't have anything to do with
FCC rules for the Amateur Radio Service.

Eight years prior to 1964 I'd already passed my First Phone test
and had been working at four broadcast stations (got the
signatures on the back of my First Phone license certificate).

Four jobs in eight years? Or were there more?

Had already renewed that First Phone once...through the Long
Beach, CA, FCC Field Office (which was/is in the San Pedro
harbor area). I'd applied for, and gotten two CB licenses (no
test, never was a test for them).

Did FCC ever turn anybody down for a cb permit?

Are you still on cb, Len? Or did the changes in that service make
it unappealing to you?

I'd already worked at a
southern California broadcast station on a part-time basis, got
that signature on the back of my first renewed First Phone
certificate. I was still subscribing for updates to the FCC
regulations (loose leaf format) from the U.S. GPO but that
would soon change to bound format, reprint every two years
(too many radio services already).

Too many radio services? Which ones would you have FCC abolish?

I'd already used that First
Phone for radio communications while a student pilot (given up
due to cost of private flying vs other expenses), avoiding
having to get a Restricted 3rd Class Phone (which required
some letters of explanation from the Long Beach, CA, FCC Field
Office to the instructors at Skyways that operated out of Van
Nuys Airport...they didn't believe it).

Why not? Did they find it hard to believe you had any sort of FCC
license?

In my job of designing
and engineering semiconductor test sets at Birtcher, all I had
to do on "FCC matters" was making certain those test sets and
their plug-ins didn't exceed incidental RF radiation limits
(the very low-duty cycle plug-ins were found to cause RF
oscillation at tester pulse edges, solved by using ferrite
tubes as chokes on the test socket leads). A renewal of the
CBs was coming up soon, those renewals, pro forma as they were,
had to go to the FCC...and with notary public seals.

I suppose FCC chuckled over those seals, huh?

Electro-Optical Systems in Pasadena was busy hiring for their
spacecraft work and I shift to there from Monterey Park, CA,
in late 1964.

*Another* job?

Spacecraft fabrication in a clean room didn't
involve any "FCC licenses." What RF work was needed took
place under government radio regulations, not civil radio.
FCC was not involved in government radio then...or now.

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

No, sweetums, I was NOT opining anything pro/con on morse code
skill as the primus inter pares of amateur radio operating
excellence nor had I any "incentives" for ham radio in 1964.

Like I said - you had nothing to do with amateur radio policy
back then, nor with FCC's regulation of amateur radio...

Based on my "first job in radio" I already knew that morse
code was a dead end in radio in 1964, 41 years ago.

Well, you were wrong, Len. Because Morse Code is still alive and
well in radio today.

Why bother pursuing a dying technique back then?

Morse Code wasn't "dying" back then and it isn't "dying" now - in
amateur radio, anyway.

How many techniques did you pursue back then which are
long gone - dead - now? Does anybody use 100 wpm teletypewriters
anymore? Do broadcast stations have FCC licensed engineers
on duty while they're on the air anymore? Etc.

Your value system is very clear, Len - if something in radio
took some of your time or effort but didn't pay back in dollars,
you avoided it.

Old November 28th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old friend

From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm
From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

Did you work for FCC in 1951, Len? Did you see FCC chuckling
at handwritten letters?

In 1951 I was working at my first full-time job, nowhere
close to DC.

So you don't really know what you're talking about when you
talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

Having seen some of the handwritten "comments" sent in on
the 2,272 filings in WT Docket 98-143 and ALL of the 3,795
filings in WT Docket 05-235, some are a hilarious barrel
of laffs! :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

So you really don't know what you're talking about when
you talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

he can make the same assumetion you can

By the way, Docket 98-143 had 303 ADDITIONAL filings after the
twice-revised final end date of 15 Jan 05, the latest being
made on 5 August 2005! :-)

Why does that matter?

becuase it isn't suposed to hapen at least if it does they are all
supose to have been mailed before the deadline

why does it seem you don't care about the rul of of law when it suits
you
cut

Oh, right...the ARRL TOLD YOU! Or you channeled St. Hiram on
the subject and you got the number in a vision?

FCC received over 6000 comments on the "incentive licensing" proposals,
Len. Without the internet. That's a fact.

indeed shwoing what a disaster the idea was

how the ARRL tired to kill the ars
cut

The beginning of the solid-state era had begun.

The beginning had begun? Third graders write better than that, Len.

bad jimmie Stevie job is to play speling cop

cut

You weren't a ham then and you're not one now. Morse Code is one
form of excellence in radio, btw - then and now.

only in your opinion and that of others

IMO it has been one of the banes of the ARS for decades
cut
In other words, you had nothing to do with FCC then, either.

"Nothing?!?" Mais non!

Nothing. You didn't work for FCC, didn't have anything to do with
FCC rules for the Amateur Radio Service.

a flat out lie Jim he has had something to do with making the FCC rules
as has Myself Bil Sohl yourself and a couple of thousand others
cut
Had already renewed that First Phone once...through the Long
Beach, CA, FCC Field Office (which was/is in the San Pedro
harbor area). I'd applied for, and gotten two CB licenses (no
test, never was a test for them).

Did FCC ever turn anybody down for a cb permit?

Are you still on cb, Len?

why should he not be on CB

Or did the changes in that service make
it unappealing to you?

Cbers seem by and large politeir than hams with folks they disagree
with they can be a bit vulgar for my taste on the air, but there are 40
channels to choose from
cut

Spacecraft fabrication in a clean room didn't
involve any "FCC licenses." What RF work was needed took
place under government radio regulations, not civil radio.
FCC was not involved in government radio then...or now.

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

No, sweetums, I was NOT opining anything pro/con on morse code
skill as the primus inter pares of amateur radio operating
excellence nor had I any "incentives" for ham radio in 1964.

Like I said - you had nothing to do with amateur radio policy
back then, nor with FCC's regulation of amateur radio...

more lies Jim

Based on my "first job in radio" I already knew that morse
code was a dead end in radio in 1964, 41 years ago.

Well, you were wrong, Len. Because Morse Code is still alive and
well in radio today.

Why bother pursuing a dying technique back then?

Morse Code wasn't "dying" back then and it isn't "dying" now - in
amateur radio, anyway.

not what I hear

How many techniques did you pursue back then which are
long gone - dead - now? Does anybody use 100 wpm teletypewriters
anymore? Do broadcast stations have FCC licensed engineers
on duty while they're on the air anymore? Etc.

Your value system is very clear, Len - if something in radio
took some of your time or effort but didn't pay back in dollars,
you avoided it.

if your statement is accurate (not comenting on that yea or nea) so
what

you value nothing without involing Morse Code

I think Money is better standard than Code knowledge

you can use money to feed yourself can't do that with morse

Old November 29th 05, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: an old friend on Nov 28, 2:42 pm

From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm
From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

Having seen some of the handwritten "comments" sent in on
the 2,272 filings in WT Docket 98-143 and ALL of the 3,795
filings in WT Docket 05-235, some are a hilarious barrel
of laffs! :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

So you really don't know what you're talking about when
you talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

he can make the same assumetion you can

Mark, there's something curious about morsemen. They are very
SERIOUS about their hobby and INTENSE on certain skills. Their
sense of humor is limited only to THEM "laughing" at those who
disagree on telegraphy testing.

BTW, there's 3,796 filings now, one was added on the 28th. :-)

By the way, Docket 98-143 had 303 ADDITIONAL filings after the
twice-revised final end date of 15 Jan 05, the latest being
made on 5 August 2005! :-)

Why does that matter?

becuase it isn't suposed to hapen at least if it does they are all
supose to have been mailed before the deadline

The specific date periods on comments applies to the
Commission's activities on decision-making for a final
Memorandum Report and Order. That date period is determined
by statements made in the publishing of a docket/proceedure
in the Federal Register. Standard practice at the FCC.

In the case of publishing NPRM 05-143, the Commission was 6
calendar weeks LATE. NPRM 05-143 was opened to the public on
19 July 2005. Publishing in the Federal Register didn't
happen until 31 August 2005. The date period for comments
was not specifically stated in NPRM 05-143, was specifically
stated in the Federal Register on 31 August 2005.

The normal delay on public release to publishing is anywhere
from zero days to a week. A few have taken longer, but it
would be a VERY long search to find a docket/proceeding that
was delayed SIX WEEKS. In those SIX WEEKS DELAY the public
filed 52% of all comments filed.

The "public" may not be fully aware of the official comment
period beginning date. The Commission is fairly speedy on
getting proceedings published in the Federal Register. The
"public" does not consist of just attorneys and beaurocrats
handling law, so they would generally be unaware of that
delay. Such a long time was unexpected.

why does it seem you don't care about the rul of of law when it suits
you

Jimmy Noserve only cares about the preservation of morse code,
everything from "operating skill" to the license test. He
can't bear to give up any of that.

Oh, right...the ARRL TOLD YOU! Or you channeled St. Hiram on
the subject and you got the number in a vision?

FCC received over 6000 comments on the "incentive licensing" proposals,
Len. Without the internet. That's a fact.

indeed shwoing what a disaster the idea was

how the ARRL tired to kill the ars

Mark, Jimmy has NOT proven his "fact." The only way to determine
that "fact" is to visit the FCC Reading Room in DC and view all
the filings. Those old dockets and proceedings aren't on-line.

As to "disaster," that is subjective opinion. In the long run,
"incentive licensing" only served to harden the class
distinction among licensees. It got too cumbersome for the
future to the Commission, so they streamlined it via FCC 99-412.

The League lobbied for, and got "incentive licensing." Old-timers
of the League loved radiotelegraphy, following the "tradition"
established by its first president, St. Hiram. Old-timers
wanted to prove Their radiotelegraphy skill was the "highest"
attribute of amateurism. They got it, complete with rank-
status-privilege. Especially the privileges. They were better
than anyone...in their minds.

The beginning of the solid-state era had begun.

The beginning had begun? Third graders write better than that, Len.

bad jimmie Stevie job is to play speling cop

Sister Nun of the Above got into the act, spanking ruler at the
ready. She didn't hit anything, though.

Sister apparently has never used the word "jibe," thought I
was "jiving her." :-)

You weren't a ham then and you're not one now. Morse Code is one
form of excellence in radio, btw - then and now.

only in your opinion and that of others

Up to mid-2000, the highest-rate telegraphy skill was
NECESSARY to achieve the "highest" class license.

IMO it has been one of the banes of the ARS for decades

True enough.

But, look out, I can see Sister approaching with her ruler!
She is going to criticize use of the word "bane!" :-)

In other words, you had nothing to do with FCC then, either.

"Nothing?!?" Mais non!

Nothing. You didn't work for FCC, didn't have anything to do with
FCC rules for the Amateur Radio Service.

a flat out lie Jim he has had something to do with making the FCC rules
as has Myself Bil Sohl yourself and a couple of thousand others

Jimmy is getting desperate on "having to do with" stuff. :-)

The FCC has had commentary periods for nearly all the major
issues affecting U.S. radio amateurs since its creation in
1934. [exceptions are federal orders to cease transmission
on Presidential orders and the "housekeeping" changes to
Parts of Title 47 which regarded legal clarification of some
regulations corrections]

The Constitution of the United States gives all its citizens
the Right to address their government...on anything. The
comment period of dockets and proceedings at the FCC is one
way to do that on specific radio regulatory issues.

Jimmy seems very territorial. He regards federal amateur radio
regulations as "private turf" which can ONLY be discussed by
licensed radio operators to their government. That is wrong.
The FCC must listen to ALL...including English teachers who
haven't the foggiest notion of what "radio" is, let alone
amateur radio (she had to research the subject through
WikiPedia). :-)

Both Bill Sohl and Carl Stevenson have appeared in-person
before the FCC in regards to the code-test/no-code-test
issue. That's about as close as ANY in here have been to
the regulation-decision-makers without actually working
there (as Phil Kane did).

The Staff and Commissioners at the FCC decide what is to be
changed and how to change radio regulations...DEPENDING on
input from the "public." [a "researching" of Parts 0 and 1
of Title 47 C.F.R. will explain that, also the Communicaitons
Act of 1934, a Law passed by Congress]

Had already renewed that First Phone once...through the Long
Beach, CA, FCC Field Office (which was/is in the San Pedro
harbor area). I'd applied for, and gotten two CB licenses (no
test, never was a test for them).

Did FCC ever turn anybody down for a cb permit?

Are you still on cb, Len?

why should he not be on CB

Citizens Band Radio Service had "permits?" :-) Strange, my
forms said they were LICENSES. No tests at all required.

Were any "turned down?" I don't really know. I've heard of those
but never met anyone who was "turned down."

I opt NOT to bother with CB radio since it is not to my needs
in communicating anything by radio. The little two-way radio
terminal called a "cell phone" serves both me and my wife very
adequately in mobile communications needs.

My old Johnson Viking Messenger CB radio still works, is still
operating within FCC regulations. It is a relatively easy
task to connect it up to an antenna (mag-mount) in the car,
plug it into the car's 12 VDC system, and operate. If the
vibrator high-voltage supply will continue working, it is as
reliable as any old tube radio. [vibrator supplies were NEVER
considered reliable, but they were terribly cheap in consumer
grade tube equipments] Living within a mile of I-5 passing
through has shown that a few channels for CB are way too few
for the hundreds of thousands of CB users...years ago.

Cbers seem by and large politeir than hams with folks they disagree
with they can be a bit vulgar for my taste on the air, but there are 40
channels to choose from

Irrelevant to Jimmy's remarks. All Jimmy wants to do is show
contempt for CB. Since he was living in 1958 when that service
(on the 27 MHz band) was created, he feels contemptuous of all
who have not taken a federal test to "qualify" for radio
transmission below 30 MHz. :-)

[I think he was born an amateur...:-) ]

CB communications are "Too vulgar?" I've heard much, much
greater vulgarity in the military service (which Jimmy was
never a part of nor will he ever be). I've heard greater
vulgarity on shop floors from union members. I've heard
greater vulgarity in the black sections of Los Angeles. I need
to brush up on my Spanish to find out if the language there in
the barrios is "too vulgar." :-)

Like I said - you had nothing to do with amateur radio policy
back then, nor with FCC's regulation of amateur radio...

more lies Jim

Jimmy, who never worked IN the FCC (and will never do so),
thinks that just having an amateur license means he had
"something to do with amateur radio regulations." :-)

Jimmy is just being "vulgar." :-)

Based on my "first job in radio" I already knew that morse
code was a dead end in radio in 1964, 41 years ago.

Well, you were wrong, Len. Because Morse Code is still alive and
well in radio today.

Tsk, tsk, Jimmy's working receiver can't pick up anything but
the "low end" of the HF amateur bands...and he thinks that
radiotelegraphy is still a big mode in radio? Incredible!

Why bother pursuing a dying technique back then?

Morse Code wasn't "dying" back then and it isn't "dying" now - in
amateur radio, anyway.

not what I hear

You have to give Jimmy some slack, Mark. Since his receiver
can't pick up anything outside the "low end" of HF ham bands,
he thinks HF is still "alive with the sounds of morse code"
(as if Julie Andrews were singing it on top of a hill).

How many techniques did you pursue back then which are
long gone - dead - now? Does anybody use 100 wpm teletypewriters
anymore? Do broadcast stations have FCC licensed engineers
on duty while they're on the air anymore? Etc.

Actually, those electromechanical teletypewriters with 100
WPM throughput are still in use in a few places...but they
are waaayyyyyy down in numbers. Teletype Corporation went
defunct some years ago...they couldn't produce a product
inexpensive enough to handle written communications needs.
Even TDDs have dropped electromechanical teletypewriters in
favor of smaller, easier to use solid-state terminals.

The requirements for licensed COMMERCIAL radio operators at
radio broadcasting stations is down but I haven't checked
to see if broadcasting regulations changed to allow ALL.
An amateur radio license was NEVER a "qualification" to
operate anything but an amateur radio on amateur frequencies.

Vacuum tube design and use in designs is almost kaput. The
solid-state devices made most of them obsolete. Tubes remain
only as very high-power transmitter final amplifiers, as
wideband (one octave plus) amplifiers in microwaves, as
magnetrons in microwave ovens, as assorted klystrons in
microwave radios. CRTs are going bye-bye, replaced by solid-
state displays in TV sets (to press a ****y point, "liquid-
state" in LCD screens). A very few optical detection
devices use multi-stage photomultipliers. NODs (Night
Observation Devices) still depend on a special photodetector
and photon multiplier tube set. Oh, and high-power radars
still use pulsed maggies for those transmitters. Tubes are
now used only as REPLACEMENTS...except by those who can't
hack engineering of solid-state circuits...or long for days
of yore, when they were born (or before).

Your value system is very clear, Len - if something in radio
took some of your time or effort but didn't pay back in dollars,
you avoided it.

if your statement is accurate (not comenting on that yea or nea) so
what you value nothing without involing Morse Code

Poor Jimmy is verging on a breakdown. He is picking up on the
old socialist or communist sloganeering against evil, filthy
capitalists who have obtained money the old fashioned way...
they EARNED it! Jimmy sounds like he doesn't have much money.

Tsk, tsk. I entered electronics and radio in the vacuum tube
era and learned how to design circuits using tubes. Had to
put aside everything but the basics of those circuits in order
to work with transistors, then ICs. Took lots of learning
AND relearning to do all that and I did it on my own time.
It was worth it in the knowledge acquired, the experience
gained in making successful designs, eminently satisfactory
to me. Lots and lots of new things were learned out of sheer
interest in learning more about NEW areas, things that were
NOT of personal monetary gain.

Jimmy can't shift out of his League-conditioned thinking about
morsemanship being the ultimate skill in radio. He doesn't
understand how it is to BEGIN in HF communications WITHOUT
any morse code mode needs. He must really resent others
who've entered the bigger world of radio communications without
being required in any way to be morsemen.

you can use money to feed yourself can't do that with morse

One can waste a LOT of time looking for radiotelegraphy jobs!
Those are quite scarce! If Jimmy wasn't so old, he could join
the Army and be an "army of one" analyzing foreign morse code
radio intercepts (but I'll bet he would hate the Ft. Huachuca
M.I. school in the summertime).

I doubt there is one job opening in the entire USA that requires
any manual telegraphy (morse code) skills for wired
communications now. If he joined SAG or SEG he might get a part
in some western movie or TV show as an actor playing the part of
a telegrapher.

Well, Jimmy could go to sea if he got a Radiotelegraph (Commercial)
license. Problem is, he'd have to use SSB voice, one of the TORs
(Teletypewriter Over Radio), and VHF FM voice for most ship
masters. Jimmy wouldn't like that. He couldn't pop into the
galley and cook big turkeys at his whim.

Confusion say: Man with one-track mind often get train of
thought derailed.

bit bit

Old December 1st 05, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:26:39 GMT, Dave Heil

From: an old friend on Nov 28, 2:42 pm

From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm
From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

Mark, there's something curious about morsemen.

I'm sure that you find any number of things curious, Leonard, like why
would anyone devote the time and energy to learning a skill which can
earn them no money and which you believe is quite useless?

at the risk of being wrong lety me guess

Len does not find that curious

They are very
SERIOUS about their hobby and INTENSE on certain skills.

Perhaps you meant that they put serious effort into learning the
material required for obtaining an HF amateur radio license and were
INTENT on passing the exams.

nope I am sure he did not mena it

so you are trying by infeence

Their
sense of humor is limited only to THEM "laughing" at those who
disagree on telegraphy testing.

Since you are on the outside of amateur radio and you disagree on morse
code testing, I can understand how you came to that conclusion. Radio
amateurs who favor retention of the morse test can and do laugh at many
other things. You write only from your experience.

gee the insiders come to that conclusion too the insider and the
outsider both agree

The beginning of the solid-state era had begun.
The beginning had begun? Third graders write better than that, Len.

bad jimmie Stevie job is to play speling cop

Sister Nun of the Above got into the act, spanking ruler at the
ready. She didn't hit anything, though.

I'm sure I heard a dull thud as you were struck amidships.

now you are hearing thing

Dave K8MN

everyone should be advised that The following person
has been advocating the abuse of elders

he may also be making flase reports of abusing other in order to attak and cow his foes
he also shows signs of being dangerously unstable

STEVEN J ROBESON
151 12TH AVE NW
WINCHESTER TN 37398
931-967-6282

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old December 2nd 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:26:17 GMT, Dave Heil

From: an old friend on Nov 28, 2:42 pm

From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm
From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

I opt NOT to bother with CB radio since it is not to my needs
in communicating anything by radio. The little two-way radio
terminal called a "cell phone" serves both me and my wife very
adequately in mobile communications needs.

You're quite right, sir. A cell phone meets your needs. You needn't
bother with CB or amateur radio.

indeed he NEED and you need not

My old Johnson...still works...

That's nice.

Jimmy, who never worked IN the FCC (and will never do so),
thinks that just having an amateur license means he had
"something to do with amateur radio regulations." :-)

Will you ever work IN the FCC, Len?

is something lacking in your reading skil dave

it seems that way

Morse Code wasn't "dying" back then and it isn't "dying" now - in
amateur radio, anyway.

not what I hear

You have to give Jimmy some slack, Mark. Since his receiver
can't pick up anything outside the "low end" of HF ham bands,
he thinks HF is still "alive with the sounds of morse code"
(as if Julie Andrews were singing it on top of a hill).

Does your venerable Icom receiver still hit the bottom end of the HF ham
bands, Leonard? You must think morse code is dead, poor morse is dead
(as if Gordon McRae were singing it out by the corral).

no he doesn't think is dead just dying

I do too just not fast enough you Jim and steve certain makes a decent
case for the notion that CW uUSE casues brain damage in some people

Old December 3rd 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:26:17 GMT, Dave Heil

Old December 2nd 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: an old friend on Nov 28, 2:42 pm
From: on Nov 26, 4:11 pm
From: on Fri, Nov 25 2005 4:26 pm
wrote:

Having seen some of the handwritten "comments" sent in on
the 2,272 filings in WT Docket 98-143 and ALL of the 3,795
filings in WT Docket 05-235, some are a hilarious barrel
of laffs! :-)

[ chuckle, chuckle ]

So you really don't know what you're talking about when
you talk about FCC "chuckling" over some comments.

he can make the same assumetion you can

Which assumption is that?

Mark, there's something curious about morsemen. They are very
SERIOUS about their hobby and INTENSE on certain skills.

Is there anything wrong with being serious or intense?

Let's see....WK3C and K2UNK spent their own time and money to
visit FCC officials about the Morse Code test issue. That's pretty
SERIOUS and INTENSE, isn't it?

(not that there's anything wrong with that...)

BTW, there's 3,796 filings now, one was added on the 28th. :-)

Was any law broken by such late filings?

By the way, Docket 98-143 had 303 ADDITIONAL filings after the
twice-revised final end date of 15 Jan 05, the latest being
made on 5 August 2005! :-)

Why does that matter?

becuase it isn't suposed to hapen at least if it does they are all
supose to have been mailed before the deadline

Who says it isn't supposed to happen?

The specific date periods on comments applies to the
Commission's activities on decision-making for a final
Memorandum Report and Order. That date period is determined
by statements made in the publishing of a docket/proceedure
in the Federal Register. Standard practice at the FCC.

Your buddy Mark claims that late filings break some law or other.
Straighten him out - if you can.

In the case of publishing NPRM 05-143, the Commission was 6
calendar weeks LATE.

How? Is there a deadline for FCC?

NPRM 05-143 was opened to the public on
19 July 2005. Publishing in the Federal Register didn't
happen until 31 August 2005.

So? Does FCC have to get NPRMs in the Federal Register
within a certain amount of time? Perhaps you should tell
them off and put them right, Len - after all, you've said you're
not afraid of authority. You could put in some of your
diminutive nicknames and catchphrases, and criticize them
for taking six long weeks.....

The date period for comments
was not specifically stated in NPRM 05-143, was specifically
stated in the Federal Register on 31 August 2005.

Which is why some of us didn't file comments right away. We
waited for the official announcement. Others had no patience and
just had to let fly before the official date.

The normal delay on public release to publishing is anywhere
from zero days to a week. A few have taken longer, but it
would be a VERY long search to find a docket/proceeding that
was delayed SIX WEEKS.

So? It took them a little longer. Have you no patience?

In those SIX WEEKS DELAY the public
filed 52% of all comments filed.

And the majority of those were anticodetest. The procodetest folks,
in general, waited for the official comment period.

What does that say about the two groups' understanding of the
regulations?

The "public" may not be fully aware of the official comment
period beginning date.

Nonsense. Most of those who filed comments are licensed
amateurs, aren't they?

The Commission is fairly speedy on
getting proceedings published in the Federal Register.

Not this time! Why don't you complain, Len? Tell 'em
how it should be done!

The
"public" does not consist of just attorneys and beaurocrats
handling law, so they would generally be unaware of that
delay. Such a long time was unexpected.

You filed before the deadline, didn't you? ;-)
Did you file any of your 10 filings too early? Maybe the folks at
FCC are chuckling over the fact that you couldn't follow the rules...

1 comment - 8 reply comments - 1 exhibit - 146 pages if my count is
right......

While you have every right in the world to comment to FCC, Len, did
it ever occur to you that maybe - just maybe - your long wordy
diatribes
really don't help the nocodetest cause one bit?

why does it seem you don't care about the rul of of law when it suits
you

What "rule of law" prohibits late comments?

Jimmy Noserve only cares about the preservation of morse code,
everything from "operating skill" to the license test. He
can't bear to give up any of that.

Wrong on all counts there, Len. Completely wrong.

Oh, right...the ARRL TOLD YOU! Or you channeled St. Hiram on
the subject and you got the number in a vision?

FCC received over 6000 comments on the "incentive licensing" proposals,
Len. Without the internet. That's a fact.

indeed shwoing what a disaster the idea was

How was it a "disaster"?

how the ARRL tired to kill the ars

How? By trying to raise the level of technical knowledge required for a

full-provileges license?

Mark, Jimmy has NOT proven his "fact."

You have not disproved it, Len.

The only way to determine
that "fact" is to visit the FCC Reading Room in DC and view all
the filings.

How do you know I haven't done that, Len?

For most of my life I've lived in the Philadelphia metropolitan area.
Washington DC is a day trip from here - done it many times. In
fact, some things I have designed are in daily use in the DC metro
area. It would be a simple thing for me to take a day or two to see
all those 6000 "filings".

Those old dockets and proceedings aren't on-line.

So? They were reported in the publications of that time (1960s).
Is something only true to you if it's online, Len? What evidence
do you have that the 6000+ comments claim is not true?

Perhaps you don't want to accept it because it disproves your
opinions.

As to "disaster," that is subjective opinion.

Yep. FCC thought it was a good idea at the time. FCC still
thinks it's a good idea, but with fewer levels.

In the long run,
"incentive licensing" only served to harden the class
distinction among licensees.

Subjective opinion.

It got too cumbersome for the
future to the Commission, so they streamlined it via FCC 99-412.

Yet the basic concept of a series of license classes, each with
increasing
test requirements and privileges, was reaffirmed by FCC. As for being
"too cumbersome", FCC refused all proposals of free (no test) upgrades,
which would have greatly simplified the license class structure and the
rules. Instead, we now have the six license classes anyway, with Novice
and Advanced no longer issued new (but renewable and modifiable
indefinitely), and Technician Plus being renewed as Technician even
though the privileges are different.

In fact, a case could be made that there are at least 9 different
license
categories (for those who hold current licenses) if you
count differences in operating privileges and test element credit:

1) Novice
2) Technician without code test
3) Tech Plus or Technician renewed from Tech Plus, pre-March 21, 1987
4) Tech Plus or Technician renewed from Tech Plus, post-March 21, 1987
5) Technician with code test CSCE less than 365 days old
6) Technician with code test CSCE more than 365 days old
7) General
9) Extra

There's even more if the test credits for certain expired licenses
are considered)

Doesn't seem to faze the FCC.

The League lobbied for, and got "incentive licensing."

But not just the League. There were no less than 10 other proposals
in favor of the concept. They differed in details but not in the basic
idea. There was widespread support for the idea both inside and
outside the League. Also widespread opposition. The support won.

It's odd that all the other proposals, and the features they suggested,
are so often forgotten, and the League gets all the blame.

Old-timers
of the League loved radiotelegraphy,

Is that a bad thing?

following the "tradition"
established by its first president, St. Hiram.

Maxim was a genius. You're not, Len.

And then why did ARRL *oppose* the creation of the Extra
class license in 1951? And why did ARRL's 1963 proposal
not include any additional code testing for full privileges?

And why did ARRL oppose FCC's 16 wpm code test proposal
and "Amateur First Grade" license class in 1965?

Old-timers
wanted to prove Their radiotelegraphy skill was the "highest"
attribute of amateurism.

How? By increasing the written tests? That's what ARRL proposed.

They got it, complete with rank-
status-privilege.

Class A, Class B, Class C.

Especially the privileges. They were better
than anyone...in their minds.

Not better. Just more qualified. You're Not Qualified (to operate
an amateur radio station).

The beginning of the solid-state era had begun.

The beginning had begun? Third graders write better than that, Len.

bad jimmie Stevie job is to play speling cop

Not spelling. Bad writing.

You weren't a ham then and you're not one now. Morse Code is one
form of excellence in radio, btw - then and now.

only in your opinion and that of others

Up to mid-2000, the highest-rate telegraphy skill was
NECESSARY to achieve the "highest" class license.

Incorrect. Since 1990, there were medical waivers for the
13 and 20 wpm code tests. The criteria for a waiver were so
vague and general that anyone who really wanted one could
get one. You could have easily gotten one, Len. But you didn't.

IMO it has been one of the banes of the ARS for decades

True enough.

Not at all. After the incentive licnesing rules went into effect
in the 1967-1969 period, the number of US hams began to
grow much faster than it had during the 1960s. The growth of
the 1970s continued into the 1980s.

If incentive licensing was so awful, why was there so much
growth in the ARS in the two decades after it was put in
place?

In other words, you had nothing to do with FCC then, either.

"Nothing?!?" Mais non!

Nothing. You didn't work for FCC, didn't have anything to do with
FCC rules for the Amateur Radio Service.

a flat out lie Jim he has had something to do with making the FCC rules
as has Myself Bil Sohl yourself and a couple of thousand others

Exactly.

The FCC has had commentary periods for nearly all the major
issues affecting U.S. radio amateurs since its creation in
1934. [exceptions are federal orders to cease transmission
on Presidential orders and the "housekeeping" changes to
Parts of Title 47 which regarded legal clarification of some
regulations corrections]

The Constitution of the United States gives all its citizens
the Right to address their government...on anything. The
comment period of dockets and proceedings at the FCC is one
way to do that on specific radio regulatory issues.

Jimmy seems very territorial. He regards federal amateur radio
regulations as "private turf" which can ONLY be discussed by
licensed radio operators to their government.

No, I don't. You try to pass off that false statement on various
people, but it's simply not true. Of course logic isn't your strong
suit, Len.

Pointing out that you are not a radio amateur is not the same thing
as saying you are not allowed to "discuss" or comment. (What you
do is not really discussion - it's mostly long boring wordy lectures
repeating the same tired old mantras and insults as if they are
sacred.)

That is wrong.

Yep - you got it wrong again, Len.

The FCC must listen to ALL...including English teachers who
haven't the foggiest notion of what "radio" is, let alone
amateur radio (she had to research the subject through
WikiPedia). :-)

Haven't the foggiest notion of what radio is?

Both Bill Sohl and Carl Stevenson have appeared in-person
before the FCC in regards to the code-test/no-code-test
issue.

Yes - pretty SERIOUS and INTENSE, huh?

That's about as close as ANY in here have been to
the regulation-decision-makers without actually working
there (as Phil Kane did).

How do you know others haven't done similar things and kept
quiet about it?

Do you think those 18 proposals to FCC after July 2003 just
wrote themselves?

The Staff and Commissioners at the FCC decide what is to be
changed and how to change radio regulations...DEPENDING on
input from the "public." [a "researching" of Parts 0 and 1
of Title 47 C.F.R. will explain that, also the Communicaitons
Act of 1934, a Law passed by Congress]

Well how about that!

Had already renewed that First Phone once...through the Long
Beach, CA, FCC Field Office (which was/is in the San Pedro
harbor area). I'd applied for, and gotten two CB licenses (no
test, never was a test for them).

Did FCC ever turn anybody down for a cb permit?

Are you still on cb, Len?

why should he not be on CB

Citizens Band Radio Service had "permits?" :-) Strange, my
forms said they were LICENSES. No tests at all required.

Were any "turned down?" I don't really know. I've heard of those
but never met anyone who was "turned down."

Says a lot.

I opt NOT to bother with CB radio since it is not to my needs
in communicating anything by radio.

Gee....

The little two-way radio
terminal called a "cell phone" serves both me and my wife very
adequately in mobile communications needs.

Not by itself. Needs a whole network to do the job.

If the cell phone serves your radio needs, why are you so
obsessed with changing the rules of the Amateur Radio Service?

My old Johnson Viking Messenger CB radio still works, is still
operating within FCC regulations.

How do you know?

It is a relatively easy
task to connect it up to an antenna (mag-mount) in the car,
plug it into the car's 12 VDC system, and operate.

But you don't.

If the
vibrator high-voltage supply will continue working, it is as
reliable as any old tube radio. [vibrator supplies were NEVER
considered reliable, but they were terribly cheap in consumer
grade tube equipments]

Gee, Len, you never modified it to a solid-state inverter supply?
Those supplies were common 40+ years ago. You can get all
the details in any ARRL Handbook of that era.

Living within a mile of I-5 passing
through has shown that a few channels for CB are way too few
for the hundreds of thousands of CB users...years ago.

Why aren't 40 channels enough? Actually, if SSB is used, there
are effectively 80 channels.

Why isn't that enough? Could it be because cb users didn't follow
the rules for that radio service?

Cbers seem by and large politeir than hams with folks they disagree
with they can be a bit vulgar for my taste on the air, but there are 40
channels to choose from

Irrelevant to Jimmy's remarks. All Jimmy wants to do is show
contempt for CB.

What should my attitude towards cb be, Len? Do you think I should
praise it and say it's a model of what a radio service should be?

Since he was living in 1958 when that service
(on the 27 MHz band) was created, he feels contemptuous of all
who have not taken a federal test to "qualify" for radio
transmission below 30 MHz. :-)

Not true at all, Len. Of course you express contempt for all who
*have* passed such tests....

[I think he was born an amateur...:-) ]

Marconi described himself as an amateur.

CB communications are "Too vulgar?"

I didn't say that - Mark did.

I've heard much, much
greater vulgarity in the military service (which Jimmy was
never a part of nor will he ever be). I've heard greater
vulgarity on shop floors from union members. I've heard
greater vulgarity in the black sections of Los Angeles. I need
to brush up on my Spanish to find out if the language there in
the barrios is "too vulgar." :-)

You seem proud of that, Len. Why?

Like I said - you had nothing to do with amateur radio policy
back then, nor with FCC's regulation of amateur radio...

Based on my "first job in radio" I already knew that morse
code was a dead end in radio in 1964, 41 years ago.

Well, you were wrong, Len. Because Morse Code is still alive and
well in radio today.

Tsk, tsk, Jimmy's working receiver can't pick up anything but
the "low end" of the HF amateur bands

Not true! Most of my "working receivers" are general coverage.
I also have several transceivers. You're not qualified to operate
any of them, Len.

...and he thinks that
radiotelegraphy is still a big mode in radio? Incredible!

It's still a very popular mode in amateur radio. It's alive and well.

Why bother pursuing a dying technique back then?

Morse Code wasn't "dying" back then and it isn't "dying" now - in
amateur radio, anyway.

not what I hear

You have to give Jimmy some slack, Mark. Since his receiver
can't pick up anything outside the "low end" of HF ham bands,
he thinks HF is still "alive with the sounds of morse code"
(as if Julie Andrews were singing it on top of a hill).

Boy, are you wrong!

How many techniques did you pursue back then which are
long gone - dead - now? Does anybody use 100 wpm teletypewriters
anymore? Do broadcast stations have FCC licensed engineers
on duty while they're on the air anymore? Etc.

Actually, those electromechanical teletypewriters with 100
WPM throughput are still in use in a few places...

Where?

but they
are waaayyyyyy down in numbers.

So they're a dying technique. Imagine - Morse Code is probably used far
more
than those old 100 wpm teleprinters....

Teletype Corporation went
defunct some years ago...they couldn't produce a product
inexpensive enough to handle written communications needs.
Even TDDs have dropped electromechanical teletypewriters in
favor of smaller, easier to use solid-state terminals.

So they're all dead or dying technologies, while Morse Code lives on
and flourishes.

The requirements for licensed COMMERCIAL radio operators at
radio broadcasting stations is down but I haven't checked
to see if broadcasting regulations changed to allow ALL.

ALL what?

Once upon a time, there were a great variety of commercial FCC
operator licenses. Having one usually guaranteed the licensee
a fairly decent job, protected by FCC regulations. That era is long
gone. That's why I pursued an engineering degree rather than a
First Class 'Phone or 'Telegraph license.

An amateur radio license was NEVER a "qualification" to
operate anything but an amateur radio on amateur frequencies.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that an amateur radio license was
anything other than a qualification to operate an amateur radio
station. Can you show us where someone claimed otherwise, Len?

Vacuum tube design and use in designs is almost kaput.

What has that got to do with amateur radio license requirements?

he
solid-state devices made most of them obsolete. Tubes remain
only as very high-power transmitter final amplifiers, as
wideband (one octave plus) amplifiers in microwaves, as
magnetrons in microwave ovens, as assorted klystrons in
microwave radios. CRTs are going bye-bye, replaced by solid-
state displays in TV sets (to press a ****y point, "liquid-
state" in LCD screens). A very few optical detection
devices use multi-stage photomultipliers. NODs (Night
Observation Devices) still depend on a special photodetector
and photon multiplier tube set. Oh, and high-power radars
still use pulsed maggies for those transmitters.

Also in a bunch of other applications like high-end audio equipment.
There's even a computer motherboard with a tube audio section.

Tubes are
now used only as REPLACEMENTS...

Not true!

except by those who can't
hack engineering of solid-state circuits...or long for days
of yore, when they were born (or before).

Totally false, Len. Your electropolitical correctness is showing.

Your value system is very clear, Len - if something in radio
took some of your time or effort but didn't pay back in dollars,
you avoided it.

if your statement is accurate (not comenting on that yea or nea) so
what you value nothing without involing Morse Code

Poor Jimmy is verging on a breakdown.

HAW! Len, that's almost funny!

He is picking up on the
old socialist or communist sloganeering against evil, filthy
capitalists who have obtained money the old fashioned way...
they EARNED it!

Boy are *you* off base on that, Len!

Jimmy sounds like he doesn't have much money.

What does it matter? I may have more than you, Len. Or less.

Tsk, tsk. I entered electronics and radio in the vacuum tube
era and learned how to design circuits using tubes. Had to
put aside everything but the basics of those circuits in order
to work with transistors, then ICs. Took lots of learning
AND relearning to do all that and I did it on my own time.

The Army never gave you any training, Len? Nor any of your
employers?

It was worth it in the knowledge acquired, the experience
gained in making successful designs, eminently satisfactory
to me.

Do you want a merit badge?

Lots and lots of new things were learned out of sheer
interest in learning more about NEW areas, things that were
NOT of personal monetary gain.

Funny - you always talk about your jobs and such, but not
about things you've designed purely for fun, with your own
resources.

Jimmy can't shift out of his League-conditioned thinking about
morsemanship being the ultimate skill in radio.

Totally untrue on all counts.

He doesn't
understand how it is to BEGIN in HF communications WITHOUT
any morse code mode needs.

Sure I do. That's not the point.

He must really resent others
who've entered the bigger world of radio communications without
being required in any way to be morsemen.

Not me, Len. You must be looking in the mirror again.