RadioBanter

-   -   Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/82312-regulation-bandwidth-petition-filed-arrl.html)

[email protected] November 19th 05 02:37 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Sohl November 19th 05 05:16 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Dee Flint November 19th 05 06:13 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

While the principle of division by bandwidth instead of mode is basically
sound, it does look like they are trying to "sneak through" a change in the
phone bands. They need to be upfront and honest that their intent is to
widen the phone bands. My director will hear my opinion on this and I'll
probably file a comment ont the petition and if the FCC puts out an NPRM.
I'm not necessarily against some widening of the phone bands (afterall the
"Novice" segments are lightly used) but I am against the idea that they are
not bothering to state that it is part of the purpose of this petition. And
I believe that 30m is way too narrow to add a SSB segment.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

KØHB November 19th 05 07:10 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

If Bill Cross really meant it when he said ''Detailed regulation of the nitty
gritty of communication services, including the Amateur Service, is not in the
picture, rather the FCC is shifting to strong and effective enforcement of truly
necessary regulations.'', then this petition should receive favorable
consideration by the Commission.

Personally, I think ARRL's petition is waaaaaaaaaaay too conservative. Let's
all propose the following re-write of Part 97.

97.1 You are required to pass a technical test to show that you
understand how to build simple equipment which meets spectral
purity specifications of .....blah, blah, blah. You will be
issued a callsign when you pass the test. Transmit your call
sign once every 10 minutes when on the air.

97.2 Your power limit is 1.5KW to the antenna.

97.3 Here are your bands. Stay inside of them.

97.4 Your are encouraged to tinker and experiment and communicate
and do public service and talk to strangers in far away lands and
launch communications satelites into space and other technical radio
stuff you may think up. The government doesn't care what mode
you use for any of this.

97.5 Play nice. We'll try to keep the CBers out of your hair. Any
deliberate interference or other assinine behaviour on your part will
cause Riley to come and kick your ass off the playground.
97.6 Have fun.

Love always,
/signed/ FCC

73, Hans, K0HB
--
Support the National Endowment for Creative Misology.

Dee Flint November 19th 05 07:48 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
k.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I noticed the same thing and didn't know what to make of it. Perhaps they
mean to keep the same segments as now for the different licenses? I suppose
that would work as you can always use a mode that is narrower than the max.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dave November 19th 05 08:04 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
k.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I noticed the same thing and didn't know what to make of it. Perhaps they
mean to keep the same segments as now for the different licenses? I
suppose that would work as you can always use a mode that is narrower than
the max.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

they are probably trying to keep the technical 'what mode where' discussion
separate from the licensing 'who goes where' discussion. they probably
think they can win each one separately, but argue them together and there
may be too many people who won't buy one or the other and come out against
both. right now they happen to line up on the same dividing line, but there
is no practical reason that they must.

[email protected] November 19th 05 11:11 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

KØHB wrote:
wrote

[...]

What happened to "97.01 You are required to know Morse Code"?

Jim Hampton November 19th 05 11:28 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Well, does this mean an SSB signal with either reduced or full carrier so I
can use a 9 KHz audio bandwidth (better than a 4.5 KHz bandwidth).
Audioooooo ... ;)

Of course, one could use the 4.5 KHz (nice audio) bandwidth with double
sideband, full carrier, but shift the carrier 90 degrees for interesting
effects too ...

Where's my sideswiper?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - doesn't 10 meters run from 25 MHz to 32 MHz? Or something like that?

[email protected] November 20th 05 01:27 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

From: "K0HB" on Sat 19 Nov 2005 19:10

wrote

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

If Bill Cross really meant it when he said ''Detailed regulation of the nitty
gritty of communication services, including the Amateur Service, is not in the
picture, rather the FCC is shifting to strong and effective enforcement of truly
necessary regulations.'', then this petition should receive favorable
consideration by the Commission.

Personally, I think ARRL's petition is waaaaaaaaaaay too conservative. Let's
all propose the following re-write of Part 97.

snip

All very good and logical but it doesn't have the full
support of the elite ruling NAAR (formerly ARRL)
membership. Here is a much shorter version:

97.1 Amateur Radio Service is whatever NAAR says it is.

97.2 Refer to 97.1.

========

There, that should give NAAR what what it has wanted all
along, assures the ARRL Press division to keep on
printin' and making money for the League, thereby keeping
Dave S. assured of pulling down $150K a year for as long
as he is Trustee of the "Residence Radio Club." The
Church of St. Hiram can be assured of a full collection
plate and all may live happily ever after on Fantasy
Island with Mr. Roarke and Tattoo and reruns. Everyone
licensed before 11 Sep 01 gets a lovely medal for being
"homeland security before there was homeland security"
and a nice certificate, suitable for framing.

Amen,

an old friend November 20th 05 03:01 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Well, does this mean an SSB signal with either reduced or full carrier so I
can use a 9 KHz audio bandwidth (better than a 4.5 KHz bandwidth).
Audioooooo ... ;)

Of course, one could use the 4.5 KHz (nice audio) bandwidth with double
sideband, full carrier, but shift the carrier 90 degrees for interesting
effects too ...

Where's my sideswiper?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - doesn't 10 meters run from 25 MHz to 32 MHz? Or something like that?

given the flaming I got over not knowing what some aphabet soup meant I
wonder what will happen to Jim for blowing that one 10 meters BTW
extends from 28MHZ to 29.7MHZ 12 meter as an aside runs from 24.890
*24.990

meaning jim has called the B band and the 10 meter combined with a
section above that as 10 metters amuch bigger error i sghould think
than my not knowing some alphabet soup

but Stevie will show his double standard again

K4YZ November 20th 05 09:38 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Stand-by for more "flaming", Mark.

I know the concept may be a bit foreign to you, but Jim hampton
was being facetious. Those who participate in "freebanding" consider
that part of the spectrum (25Mhz to 32Mhz) to be "theirs". That is the
range that many "export CB's" cover when "opened" for "freeband"
operation.

meaning jim has called the B band and the 10 meter combined with a
section above that as 10 metters amuch bigger error i sghould think
than my not knowing some alphabet soup

"B band"...?!?! I won't even venture a guess.

Your scope of awareness of present day reality of "radio policy
and practice" is far too narrow, Mark.

As for "alphabet soup", it's part of what you're supposed to know
as a Commission licensee...

No one expects you to memorize them, however you should be able to
RECOGNIZE them, realize what they are and look them up in the proper
regulation and then comply with the regulation.

but Stevie will show his double standard again

Nope. Just pointing out that you are, once again, ill-prepared to
address the subjects, Mark. You tried to "redress" Jim Hampton based
on YOUR lack of understanding, not HIS "error" for refering to it as
"10 meters".

Steve, K4YZ

6H4Ballast November 20th 05 06:20 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

That's fine by me as just 20% of hams who use HF
also use CW on a regular basis.

Jim Hampton November 20th 05 10:58 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"K4YZ" wrote in message
ups.com...
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hello, Steve

Yep, tongue way way into cheek LOL :))
Especially when I say "or something like that" ...
BTW, double sideband with a 90 shifted full carrier yields phase modulation.
I would almost suspect that might be legal under the "regulation by
bandwidth", but am not sure. Currently, only in the high end of 10 meters
and above (along with standard FM). Something like 29 to 29.7 MHz.
Somewhere around there. At this point, I'd mention that if I were to fire
up FM on 10 meters, I'd sure as heck break out the rules as I am not exactly
sure where it is permitted on 10 or the exact frequency of the FM repeaters
on 10. Ya can't know everything; as long as you can look it up, you'll be
fine ;)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

uscg guy November 21st 05 01:17 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

73, Hans, K0HB

Hey Hans, back when I was in the Coast Guard, they told
us all Radiomen had two dried shriviled up little balls. Is there
any truth to that?

Nick
former brown water navy

[email protected] November 21st 05 02:55 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Well, does this mean an SSB signal with either reduced or full carrier so I
can use a 9 KHz audio bandwidth (better than a 4.5 KHz bandwidth).
Audioooooo ... ;)

No.

Of course, one could use the 4.5 KHz (nice audio) bandwidth with double
sideband, full carrier, but shift the carrier 90 degrees for interesting
effects too ...

Yep. Of course it doesn't explain why it's OK to run AM at a bandwidth
of 9 kHz but not some new data mode at a bandwidth of 4.5 kHz.

Where's my sideswiper?

Yep.

73 de Jim, N2EY

(yes I got the "10 meter" joke...)

an old friend November 21st 05 04:46 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

menaing we see again your doublt standard

Jim Hampton November 21st 05 09:55 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm going to have to really read up on the proposal. Why 9 KHz AM and not
allow a data mode at 4.5 KHz doesn't make a whole lot of sense; then again,
we are discussing government involvement in which case one shouldn't expect
a whole lot of sense anyway. :)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Jim Hampton November 21st 05 10:51 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"6H4Ballast" wrote in message
groups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

That's fine by me as just 20% of hams who use HF
also use CW on a regular basis.

And I'm not afraid to switch to CW right in that phone band when someone
tries to jump on me. Been there, worn that T-shirt. Funny how 75 watts of
cw can get through a kilowatt AM station.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

K4YZ November 22nd 05 12:02 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

"Menaing" that we see that you are ill-prepared mto discuss radio
policy issues and that you have no understanding of what's going on
around you.

Steve, K4YZ

[email protected] November 22nd 05 12:10 AM

Tennessee Nurse Steven J Robeson, LPN was: Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

K4YZ wrote:
raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Steve, it appears that you changed Mark's attribution from "an old
friend" to "raped an old friend."

Why did you do that?

[email protected] November 22nd 05 12:17 AM

Jim Hampton wrote:
"6H4Ballast" wrote in message
groups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

That's fine by me as just 20% of hams who use HF
also use CW on a regular basis.

And I'm not afraid to switch to CW right in that phone band when someone
tries to jump on me. Been there, worn that T-shirt. Funny how 75 watts of
cw can get through a kilowatt AM station.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Mighty Macho Morse Man?

an old friend November 22nd 05 05:11 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

K4YZ wrote:
raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

nope meaning you are bent on flaming for anything I type at all

you are a fraud your bigest fraud is presenting yourself as human at
all

Steve, K4YZ

an old friend November 22nd 05 05:15 AM

Tennessee Nurse Steven J Robeson, LPN

wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

he does it all the time

has evn had the nerve to claim that caling me mark as he does that ****
is being nice to me

Why did you do that?

an old friend November 22nd 05 05:59 AM

Tennessee Nurse Steven J Robeson, LPN

wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:

cut
menaing we see again your doublt standard

"Menaing" that we see that you are ill-prepared mto discuss radio
policy issues and that you have no understanding of what's going on
around you.

Steve, K4YZ

Steve, it appears that you changed Mark's attribution from "an old
friend" to "raped an old friend."

Why did you do that?

becuase he is a sick SoB that thinks rape is the proper subject of
jokes

set that against his "outrage" over my caling some one an elitist bitch
(iw ould have called her an elitist bastartd had she been male that
seems the convetions)

now by Stevies other statement in that thread I suppose that we may
asume by HIS use of the word he endorses rape and similar sex crimes
and is in fact guilty of them himself in real life

K4YZ November 22nd 05 06:23 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Nope...MEANING that you are ill-prepared to duscuss radio policy
issues and that you have no understanding of what's going on around
you.

you are a fraud your bigest fraud is presenting yourself as human at
all

The "fraud" here is the drafted gay pagan Army Chemical Corps
colonel who doesn't know that freebanders operate from 25 to 32Mhz.

Steve, K4YZ

Jeffrey Herman November 22nd 05 07:12 AM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"6H4Ballast" wrote in message
That's fine by me as just 20% of hams who use HF
also use CW on a regular basis.

"20% of hams", or "20% of hams who responded to a particular survey"?

Now if you ran that same survey by a group of QRP homebrewers, the result
would be closer to 100%.

Statistics is a powerful tool only if care is taken in how the sample
population is chosen. But remember, the results only apply to that *sample*,
not an *entire* population (unless sample = entire, which is quite rare).

73, Jeff KH6O

--
Chief Petty Officer, U.S. Coast Guard
Mathematics Lecturer, University of Hawaii System

[email protected] November 22nd 05 11:10 PM

Tennessee Nurse Steven J Robeson, LPN

an old friend wrote:
wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
raped an old friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:

cut
menaing we see again your doublt standard

"Menaing" that we see that you are ill-prepared mto discuss radio
policy issues and that you have no understanding of what's going on
around you.

Steve, K4YZ

Steve, it appears that you changed Mark's attribution from "an old
friend" to "raped an old friend."

Why did you do that?

becuase he is a sick SoB that thinks rape is the proper subject of
jokes

set that against his "outrage" over my caling some one an elitist bitch
(iw ould have called her an elitist bastartd had she been male that
seems the convetions)

now by Stevies other statement in that thread I suppose that we may
asume by HIS use of the word he endorses rape and similar sex crimes
and is in fact guilty of them himself in real life

Steve is many things. I'd put "ass" as #1 on his list, followed by
"liar" then "delusional," not necessarily in that order. Actually,
"liar" could be listed several times. I don't think there's enough
bandwidth to complete the list, though.

He made an agreement to be civil and couldn't last even 24 hours.

Jim Hampton November 22nd 05 11:34 PM

Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Hampton wrote:
"6H4Ballast" wrote in message
groups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the

proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

That's fine by me as just 20% of hams who use HF
also use CW on a regular basis.

And I'm not afraid to switch to CW right in that phone band when someone
tries to jump on me. Been there, worn that T-shirt. Funny how 75 watts

of
cw can get through a kilowatt AM station.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Mighty Macho Morse Man?

Nope, just reality. W2OY learned that lesson the hard way :))

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks have no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype. Assuming, of course,
the teletype operator could type that fast or was using an automatic
send/receive teletype (with tape reader where the tape could be typed in
advance of sending it).

A lot of folks can't even type 40 or 50 words per minute.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

anon November 22nd 05 11:42 PM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks have
no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Jim Hampton November 22nd 05 11:47 PM

"anon" wrote in message

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks

have
no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Didn't take you long to reply. Who's ingesting alcohol? I've to go to work
tomorrow morning (like 5:00 AM). What is your excuse?

I've put perfect copy on paper using a manual typewriter at 40 words per
minute. A number of minutes' worth. My mention of 40 or 50 words per
minute was a reference to some of the wonder boys whose great exploits
simply consist of 'cut and paste' on the Internet.

I'm simply saying that a good operator can likely keep up with most folks
that are trying to enter original content and not simply pass along a
digital picture, or a 'cut-and-paste' from someone else.

Then again, original content might be something you aren't familiar with.

With due regard,
Jim AA2QA

anon November 23rd 05 12:44 AM

"anon" wrote in message

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks

have
no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Didn't take you long to reply. Who's ingesting alcohol?

/////////*MORE* B.S. Snipped//////////

I I I I I I I I I, me me me me me me me me me me

That's the way your type tells stories of grandeur and
how wonderful I am........

Steveo November 23rd 05 02:00 AM

"anon" wrote:
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks
have no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Jim is a great guy. You must have mis-read him.

moparholic at hotmail dot com is a sissy November 23rd 05 09:06 AM

Steveo wrote:
"anon" wrote:
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks
have no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Jim is a great guy. You must have mis-read him.

moparholic at hotmail dot com is a great gay, I mean guy. a great guy
at being gay.

K4YZ November 23rd 05 11:11 AM

"anon" wrote in message
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks

have
no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.
/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Didn't take you long to reply. Who's ingesting alcohol?

/////////*MORE* B.S. Snipped//////////

I I I I I I I I I, me me me me me me me me me me

That's the way your type tells stories of grandeur and
how wonderful I am........

Jim...Looks like the works of Fans of the Feeble Five.

Consider the source.

73

Steve, K4YZ

an old friend November 23rd 05 03:44 PM

steve is coward afraid to asnwer a simple question

"anon" wrote in message
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

what has sexuality got to do with radio

The Magnum November 23rd 05 06:39 PM

"anon" wrote in message

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks

have
no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day, I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

A fantastic tale in its day but back to present day what is the benefit? I
think you will find most people will know you can say anything via Morse
just like you can talking so being amazed at what can be passed via Morse
seems a strange thing to highlight. You can pass much more information by
talking. In the past fair enough but times have moved on. Morse is now an
out-dated form of communication practised now by just radio Amateurs.
To any Amateurs who like Morse then that's fine for them. They will learn it
and use it where they like and I have no problems at all about that. But...
to ramble on about it constantly and belittle anyone not really interested
in "just the Morse" side of radio is a bit unfair branding them as inferior
radio users (not aimed at you personally here) Amateur radio can still be a
fascinating Hobby without it, or as I would like, not a forced issue but one
of choice.

Regards,
Graham

--
---------------
Radio is only a Hobby. Don't let it rule your life...

73's - Graham

The Magnum November 23rd 05 06:47 PM

"anon" wrote in message

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

I really don't care one way or the other about code - but most folks

have
no
idea how much information can be passed via that keyer. In my day,

I'd
pass
dang near as much info in a given time as a teletype.

/////// B.S. Snipped here/////////

Oh how the tales of dariing do and "how great I am" grow
taller and taller and more spectacular, as the years go by
and more alcohol is ingested..........ROTFLMAO!

Didn't take you long to reply. Who's ingesting alcohol? I've to go to

work
tomorrow morning (like 5:00 AM). What is your excuse?

Wow thats early. I dont need to get into work until 8am. Not a dustman are
you?

I've put perfect copy on paper using a manual typewriter at 40 words per
minute. A number of minutes' worth. My mention of 40 or 50 words per
minute was a reference to some of the wonder boys whose great exploits
simply consist of 'cut and paste' on the Internet.

If that is adiquate then whats wrong with cut and paste? Only an idiot would
sit there re-typing out something that could just as easily be cut and
pasted unless it was an original work of course.

I'm simply saying that a good operator can likely keep up with most folks
that are trying to enter original content and not simply pass along a
digital picture, or a 'cut-and-paste' from someone else.

A good operator? Depends on your impression of a good operator. A good
operator to me is someone who uses the radio sensibly, stays legal and cares
about interference and deals with it if caused. Someone who goes on about
ooh i can do this or i can do that trying to put themselves above other
operators in my opinion have a vanity problem. As far as pictures go id
rather use the internet as its a more appropriate media for that.

Then again, original content might be something you aren't familiar with.

With due regard,
Jim AA2QA

Also with due regard and no disrespect intended. Just my 10p worth.
Graham

--
---------------

Jim Hampton November 23rd 05 11:04 PM

"anon" wrote in message

[...]

Hello, Graham

I couldn't agree with you more ;)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Jim Hampton November 23rd 05 11:22 PM

"The Magnum" wrote in message

"anon" wrote in message

[...]

I also do not see the need to force cw on anyone. Still, when one attempts
to tell me that more information can be passed via voice, I can only agree
if the communications is something like "meet me at Joe's bar at 10:00 PM".

If there is something like "medium pizza with cheeze and sausage to 1235 W.
Cauncy Blvd", then someone is going to have to write down that information.
This *will* slow the maximum data transfer to what can be put on paper.
Assuming one is not connected to the Internet where they can simply print
the information, I must admit that I cannot print nor write as fast as I can
copy cw to a keyboard (or typewriter). In that case, cw might be as
efficient as anything else. This is, of course, a questionable case.

The time I mentioned (the perfect copy at 40) was a weather bulletin which
gave latitude, longitude, and a multitude of other data to boot. This
could, of course, be transmitted by voice, but would absolutely *have* to be
put on paper (unless someone had a photographic memory that *never* made a
mistake). In that case, sans digital data transmission (citor, amtor,
teletype, or whatever), voice could not possibly be faster as it had to be
put to paper.

In this case, the limit would be how fast this could be transcribed to
paper.

In closing, I would reiterate that I agree about cw should not be a forced
issue. My only issue is that some folks feel that it is terribly slow.
Compared to the Internet or other digital transmissions, sure. Compared to
voice .... it all depends ;)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

[email protected] November 24th 05 03:12 AM

Tennessee Nurse, Steven J Robeson, LPN, was: Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

K4YZ wrote:
nobodys old friend wrote:

K4YZ changed Mark's attribution from "an old friend" to "nobody's old
friend."

Why does Steve do that?