Old November 19th 05, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 19th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bill Sohl

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 19th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

While the principle of division by bandwidth instead of mode is basically
sound, it does look like they are trying to "sneak through" a change in the
phone bands. They need to be upfront and honest that their intent is to
widen the phone bands. My director will hear my opinion on this and I'll
probably file a comment ont the petition and if the FCC puts out an NPRM.
I'm not necessarily against some widening of the phone bands (afterall the
"Novice" segments are lightly used) but I am against the idea that they are
not bothering to state that it is part of the purpose of this petition. And
I believe that 30m is way too narrow to add a SSB segment.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 19th 05, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KØHB

wrote

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

If Bill Cross really meant it when he said ''Detailed regulation of the nitty
gritty of communication services, including the Amateur Service, is not in the
picture, rather the FCC is shifting to strong and effective enforcement of truly
necessary regulations.'', then this petition should receive favorable
consideration by the Commission.

Personally, I think ARRL's petition is waaaaaaaaaaay too conservative. Let's
all propose the following re-write of Part 97.

97.1 You are required to pass a technical test to show that you
understand how to build simple equipment which meets spectral
purity specifications of .....blah, blah, blah. You will be
issued a callsign when you pass the test. Transmit your call
sign once every 10 minutes when on the air.

97.2 Your power limit is 1.5KW to the antenna.

97.3 Here are your bands. Stay inside of them.

97.4 Your are encouraged to tinker and experiment and communicate
and do public service and talk to strangers in far away lands and
launch communications satelites into space and other technical radio
stuff you may think up. The government doesn't care what mode
you use for any of this.

97.5 Play nice. We'll try to keep the CBers out of your hair. Any
deliberate interference or other assinine behaviour on your part will
cause Riley to come and kick your ass off the playground.
97.6 Have fun.

Love always,
/signed/ FCC

73, Hans, K0HB
--
Support the National Endowment for Creative Misology.

Old November 19th 05, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I noticed the same thing and didn't know what to make of it. Perhaps they
mean to keep the same segments as now for the different licenses? I suppose
that would work as you can always use a mode that is narrower than the max.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 19th 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I noticed the same thing and didn't know what to make of it. Perhaps they
mean to keep the same segments as now for the different licenses? I
suppose that would work as you can always use a mode that is narrower than
the max.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

they are probably trying to keep the technical 'what mode where' discussion
separate from the licensing 'who goes where' discussion. they probably
think they can win each one separately, but argue them together and there
may be too many people who won't buy one or the other and come out against
both. right now they happen to line up on the same dividing line, but there
is no practical reason that they must.

Old November 19th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KØHB wrote:
wrote

[...]

What happened to "97.01 You are required to know Morse Code"?

Old November 19th 05, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Jim Hampton

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Well, does this mean an SSB signal with either reduced or full carrier so I
can use a 9 KHz audio bandwidth (better than a 4.5 KHz bandwidth).
Audioooooo ...

Of course, one could use the 4.5 KHz (nice audio) bandwidth with double
sideband, full carrier, but shift the carrier 90 degrees for interesting
effects too ...

Where's my sideswiper?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - doesn't 10 meters run from 25 MHz to 32 MHz? Or something like that?

Old November 20th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: "K0HB" on Sat 19 Nov 2005 19:10

wrote

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

If Bill Cross really meant it when he said ''Detailed regulation of the nitty
gritty of communication services, including the Amateur Service, is not in the
picture, rather the FCC is shifting to strong and effective enforcement of truly
necessary regulations.'', then this petition should receive favorable
consideration by the Commission.

Personally, I think ARRL's petition is waaaaaaaaaaay too conservative. Let's
all propose the following re-write of Part 97.

snip

All very good and logical but it doesn't have the full
support of the elite ruling NAAR (formerly ARRL)
membership. Here is a much shorter version:

97.1 Amateur Radio Service is whatever NAAR says it is.

97.2 Refer to 97.1.

========

There, that should give NAAR what what it has wanted all
along, assures the ARRL Press division to keep on
printin' and making money for the League, thereby keeping
Dave S. assured of pulling down $150K a year for as long
as he is Trustee of the "Residence Radio Club." The
Church of St. Hiram can be assured of a full collection
plate and all may live happily ever after on Fantasy
Island with Mr. Roarke and Tattoo and reruns. Everyone
licensed before 11 Sep 01 gets a lovely medal for being
"homeland security before there was homeland security"
and a nice certificate, suitable for framing.

Amen,

Old November 20th 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old friend

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Well, does this mean an SSB signal with either reduced or full carrier so I
can use a 9 KHz audio bandwidth (better than a 4.5 KHz bandwidth).
Audioooooo ...

Of course, one could use the 4.5 KHz (nice audio) bandwidth with double
sideband, full carrier, but shift the carrier 90 degrees for interesting
effects too ...

Where's my sideswiper?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - doesn't 10 meters run from 25 MHz to 32 MHz? Or something like that?

given the flaming I got over not knowing what some aphabet soup meant I
wonder what will happen to Jim for blowing that one 10 meters BTW
extends from 28MHZ to 29.7MHZ 12 meter as an aside runs from 24.890
*24.990

meaning jim has called the B band and the 10 meter combined with a
section above that as 10 metters amuch bigger error i sghould think
than my not knowing some alphabet soup

but Stevie will show his double standard again