Old January 1st 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Jeffrey Herman

Default Really Hans, no call to be rude

wrote:
I aslo dont like poeple that show off there buliding equipment abilites
makes you sound like a showoff

If you knew anything about the history of amateur radio, then you'd know
there was a time when all hams had to build all their equipment
practically from scratch

I raelly dont like 40 mters or cw forthat
matter etiher. I tryed to get my lsisnce once but the doctor wont
coroperate at all

Whatever.

No 73 for you,
Jeff KH6O
--
Chief Petty Officer, U.S. Coast Guard
Mathematics Lecturer, University of Hawaii System
Old January 1st 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Jeffrey Herman

In article , NOGL wrote:

I aslo dont like poeple that show off there buliding equipment abilites
makes you sound like a showoff I raelly dont like 40 mters or cw forthat
matter etiher. I tryed to get my lsisnce once but the doctor wont
coroperate at all

He's part of Stevie's forging crew. He likes to pretend his isnt but he
is because he was catched at it by someone I know. He is probaly making
up the building **** to.

Replying to your own posts? Isn't that called self-abuse? =

Jeff KH6O
Old January 2nd 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc

From: Jeffrey Herman on Jan 1, 3:27 pm

wrote:

I aslo dont like poeple that show off there buliding equipment abilites
makes you sound like a showoff

If you knew anything about the history of amateur radio, then you'd know
there was a time when all hams had to build all their equipment
practically from scratch

Jeff, this new year (2006) is NOT 1896...when radio was
first demonstrated as a communications meadium.

This isn't 1906 either, a time when practically ALL radios,
amateur or commercial, had to be "built from scratch."

Today, if you have the "scratch," you can CHOOSE to either
build a radio from components (dozens of major parts
vendors) or buy them ready-made, ready-to-use. If you
look at "shack photos" in the ham publications from the
last half century of issues, you will see MOST of them
contain ready-built radio equipment.

In my career experience I've learned to not only DESIGN
radio equipment of many types but have learned all the
steps to fabricate them, test them in the lab, test them
in the field. But, that's "hands-on engineering
responsibility" and is NOT a requirement for an amateur
radio license nor is it a requirement to use radios.
I can - and have - done just that..."building from
scratch" but only because I WANTED to do so for myself.
Most of my radio-electronics equipment is ready-built,
not because I "can't do it" (I can) but because it is
much, much easier for me to do so.

Amateur radio is a HOBBY, not a union, craft, or guild.
Nowhere is there a die-hard "necessity" to retain ALL
the "traditions" such as "building from scratch" as it
had to be done a hundred years ago.

Now, if you want to "build from scratch" totally, you
will have to learn to SUCK all the air out of the tubes
you build for yourself (honoring the "tradition").
That's rather difficult (truly, vacuum sucks)...but
much, much easier than first creating ultra-pure
silicon and then doping the microscopic areas on it to
become the solid-state device you need. [sorry you
can't build "spark" transmitters...those being forbidden
in these modern times unlike a hundred years ago]

Heh heh, I was born not too far from Galena, IL, where
the vital "crystals" for the first crystal receiving
sets were obtained. My first "radio" was a Philmore
crystal set KIT with the galena crystal already mined
and mounted in a piece of lead (circa 1946). :-)

Whatever.

Try to remain one of the "higher class" of amateurs, Jeff,
don't admonish everyone who doesn't share your opinions.

It's fine and dandy you are a rapid-fire morseman, thanks
to the USCG. However, the USCG isn't amateur radio.
Neither is the University of Hawaii where you "lecture"
students at a community college. Morsemanship necessity
for federal permission to operate amateur equipment below
30 MHz is on the way OUT. Try to accept that.

Don't try to teach your grandmother to suck eggs, either.

No 73 for you,

...and none for you either. shrug

Good luck on your efforts to ENFORCE TRADITION and bringing
back the home-built spark transmitter a la 1906...

Sincerely,

Old January 2nd 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
an Old friend

Jeffrey Herman wrote:
wrote:
I aslo dont like poeple that show off there buliding equipment abilites
makes you sound like a showoff

If you knew anything about the history of amateur radio, then you'd know
there was a time when all hams had to build all their equipment
practically from scratch

first of all you are responding to a forger rather than me

but you are the ass for assuming you know that I or anybody else knows
or doesn't know about history

I raelly dont like 40 mters or cw forthat
matter etiher. I tryed to get my lsisnce once but the doctor wont
coroperate at all

Whatever.

No 73 for you,
Jeff KH6O

ty for that i don't care for the dw nonsense

Old January 2nd 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
an Old friend

Jeffrey Herman wrote:
In article , NOGL wrote:

I aslo dont like poeple that show off there buliding equipment abilites
makes you sound like a showoff I raelly dont like 40 mters or cw forthat
matter etiher. I tryed to get my lsisnce once but the doctor wont
coroperate at all

He's part of Stevie's forging crew. He likes to pretend his isnt but he
is because he was catched at it by someone I know. He is probaly making
up the building **** to.

Replying to your own posts? Isn't that called self-abuse? =

maybe you should be reported to university if you truely cnt read any
better than you seem to

Jeff KH6O

Old January 2nd 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc
NOGL

On 1 Jan 2006 17:28:30 -0800, an Old friend wrote:

Jeffrey Herman wrote:
In article , NOGL wrote:

I aslo dont like poeple that show off there buliding equipment abilites
makes you sound like a showoff I raelly dont like 40 mters or cw forthat
matter etiher. I tryed to get my lsisnce once but the doctor wont
coroperate at all

He's part of Stevie's forging crew. He likes to pretend his isnt but he
is because he was catched at it by someone I know. He is probaly making
up the building **** to.

Replying to your own posts? Isn't that called self-abuse? =

maybe you should be reported to university if you truely cnt read any
better than you seem to

You are not fooling anyone Steve. Mark woudn't be that rude to
someone and you knows it YOU BITCHWHORE!!!!!

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old January 2nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Frank Gilliland on Sun, Jan 1 2006 5:27 pm

On 1 Jan 2006 16:52:58 -0800, wrote in

snip
Now, if you want to "build from scratch" totally, you
will have to learn to SUCK all the air out of the tubes
you build for yourself (honoring the "tradition").
That's rather difficult (truly, vacuum sucks)...but
much, much easier than first creating ultra-pure
silicon and then doping the microscopic areas on it to
become the solid-state device you need. [sorry you
can't build "spark" transmitters...those being forbidden
in these modern times unlike a hundred years ago]

Check this out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/index.html

Heh heh...I saw that website about when it was begun...that
guy has been having fun with all sorts of projects in true
do-it-yourself spirit! :-)

The section on Tesla coils and stuff akin to that is not a
"clean" source of fun. Those things and their discharges
can do quite a bit of broadband RF pollution.