Old June 29th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow Code

Default Field day was great, even the phonies had fun and learned from us dinosaurs.

"J. D. B." wrote in
:

I know what you mean about Elmering. Many of the new hams had to Elmer
the old CW only hams who had no idea how to operate a computer or even
use all the great new digital modes. Some of the dinos had trouble
trying to figure out the solid state rigs. They kept looking around for
things to tune like it was some boat anchor tube rig - LOL!!!

It's amazing how the dinos can operate a key, but they can't get the
hang of a mouse. We eventually had to give up. Can't teach the old dogs
new tricks so the younger and newer hams used the digital modes and the
old dinos stuck to their CW.

Although the CW types were amazed how PSK31 could be copied even when
you could not hear the other station. They admitted that you can't copy
CW if you cannot hear it.

I think we made a lot of progress on FD. Finally the dinos admitted that
there are modes that are better and more capable than CW.

One old guy even said we should give up on the CW testing and test new
hams how to use a computer and the new digital modes and that was more
relevant for today's ham radio.

I know you're right.

They where doing great until the computers crashed then the new hams
looked at us old hams, blank stares on their faces wondering what to do.
They thought Field day was over at the point. Then us dino's took over
and showed them what ham radio really was. Some nickle extra's even said
they were going practice building their code skills again. They saw you
can work stations on code that you can't work on phone or PSK31. We
taught them how to solder on PL-259s and tune portable antenna & trim wire
antennas.

We laughed when they lifted up the tri-bander and then had to take it down
again to connect up the coax. That was funny.

SC
Old June 29th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow Code

Cecil Moore wrote in
et:

Slow Code wrote:
Did a lot of Elmering too, but that's what ham radio is about. Also
glad that we weren't outnumbered by appliance operators. With them,
when a computer goes down it's like the end of the world.

While you, OTOH, when your hardware fails, simply drag out
the signaling flags, mirrors, and smoke signals?

I'll get back to you on that one. I've never been in a situation where I
couldn't produce RF and commmunicate. When it finally does happen, I'll
let you know if it was flags, mirrors, or smoke signals.

sc
Old June 29th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow Code

wrote in
ups.com:

--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

He's not just Slow Code, he's slow everything, especially on the uptake.

Yes, but I'm still faster than you.

sc

Old June 29th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old friend

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

He's not just Slow Code, he's slow everything, especially on the uptake.

Yes, but I'm still faster than you.

nope

sc

Old June 29th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Cecil Moore

Slow Code wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote in
While you, OTOH, when your hardware fails, simply drag out
the signaling flags, mirrors, and smoke signals?

I'll get back to you on that one. I've never been in a situation where I
couldn't produce RF and commmunicate. When it finally does happen, I'll
let you know if it was flags, mirrors, or smoke signals.

Oh yeah, I forgot, only the SSB portion of a transceiver's
electronics ever fails. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 29th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Tom Ring

Slow Code wrote:

He's not just Slow Code, he's slow everything, especially on the uptake.

Yes, but I'm still faster than you.

sc

And won't tell you who he is. Chicken **** seems an appropriate
description.

Although I'd bet I can find out who it is. I won't bother, but it isn't
all that hard if you know the ISP business. And since that's what I do
for a living...

tom
K0TAR
Old June 29th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an_old_friend

Cecil Moore wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote in
While you, OTOH, when your hardware fails, simply drag out
the signaling flags, mirrors, and smoke signals?

I'll get back to you on that one. I've never been in a situation where I
couldn't produce RF and commmunicate. When it finally does happen, I'll
let you know if it was flags, mirrors, or smoke signals.

Oh yeah, I forgot, only the SSB portion of a transceiver's
electronics ever fails. :-)

nah the Am and Fm parts fail too

Only the CW never fails
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 30th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow Code

Cecil Moore wrote in
om:

Slow Code wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote in
While you, OTOH, when your hardware fails, simply drag out
the signaling flags, mirrors, and smoke signals?

I'll get back to you on that one. I've never been in a situation where
I couldn't produce RF and commmunicate. When it finally does happen,
I'll let you know if it was flags, mirrors, or smoke signals.

Oh yeah, I forgot, only the SSB portion of a transceiver's
electronics ever fails. :-)

That's generally when you find out your rig might need repair, when
someone reports your audio is distorted or garbled.

SC
Old June 30th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow

Tom Ring wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

He's not just Slow Code, he's slow everything, especially on the
uptake.

Yes, but I'm still faster than you.

sc

And won't tell you who he is. Chicken **** seems an appropriate
description.

Although I'd bet I can find out who it is. I won't bother, but it isn't
all that hard if you know the ISP business. And since that's what I do
for a living...

tom
K0TAR

I'm really happy the FCC eliminated the 20 wpm Code requirement so you
could get your Extra.

sc
Old June 30th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Tom Ring

Slow wrote:
Tom Ring wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

He's not just Slow Code, he's slow everything, especially on the
uptake.

Yes, but I'm still faster than you.

sc

And won't tell you who he is. Chicken **** seems an appropriate
description.

Although I'd bet I can find out who it is. I won't bother, but it isn't
all that hard if you know the ISP business. And since that's what I do
for a living...

tom
K0TAR

I'm really happy the FCC eliminated the 20 wpm Code requirement so you
could get your Extra.

sc

I'm really happy that good programmers let idiots have access to the
internet instead of keeping them off like they should be. Of course,
I'm not talking about you.

tom
K0TAR