Old August 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Hey, if an alien force ever invades our planet and demands that we pass a
40wpm code test or they will annihilate the planet, then yes, it would!
Never say never.

rb

ps:
Yeah, all is see on these groups is stupidity... might as well enjoy it.
:-)
no offense to the OP's here.... just making a generalized statement about
this whole thread and others like it.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
om...
Dave wrote:
C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW.
Does that mean we're virtually obsolete?

My favorite mode is CW and it's a fun mode but it is never
going to save the world.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

.....and ammo, for control of rabid cw ops who finally figure out there's no
one listening and come to steal said food and water....

rb

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
Slow Code wrote:
With an attitude like that it probably won't. Better keep a microphone
handy.

Actually, what I keep handy is food and water.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 22nd 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Wow.... so you could almost say the reason there was such a disaster
[notwithstanding the time period and simple circumstance] is that all these
radio operators [and companies] were acting like a bunch of egotistical
morons, each thinking their way to be better, and that most
vessels communications, wireless ops and policies were almost..............
amateur........... in nature?

LOL...
rb

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
clfe wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
It was before the Titanic hit the iceberg that the Titanic
CW operator told the Californian CW operator to get off the
air. He considered his normal Titanic CW message traffic to
have priority over any CW traffic that the Californian might
need to pass. Turns out the Californian's CW operator was
the only person in the world who could have saved the life
of the Titanic's CW operator.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

In that case then - I stand corrected, I was unaware of that.

It's totaly untrue. The Californian's radio operator ignored the
Titanic's distress signals because the Titanic was a Marconi ship and
the Californian was a Telefunken ship. The operators were not allowed to
communicate with the competing company's operators under any
circumstances under penalty of being put off the ship at first landing,
with no hope of getting home or being hired by the other company.

I recently blogged about it:

http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/2006/06/22/

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice:
1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Old August 22nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

And I say I agree with the problem that mentioned for the cw being needed
and life saving station for the pc with no code.
It'll never work and if it does it will only be working a pc and if that is
not the person then it is not the same
so you can say it didn't work anyway because it wasn't a person that needed
it.
So there.
rb

Old August 22nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Well there ya have it folks.... 50wpm saves lives. So how does it work?
Turn up the speaker really loud and place it [face down] on the person's
chest, while
an op in South America tapped out universally accepted words that would
mimic an atrioventricular rhythm?

Wrong theatre? OK...

Maybe if a person is trapped on a sinking ship in the Indian Ocean you, in
Siberia, could tap out a message to someone in Madagascar [who happened to
be awake at an odd hour] and that person also owned a large SAR chopper,
they could jump in it, saving the time of relaying to anyone else, and go
pluck them from certain death?

OH, or better yet... if your neighbor is also a ham.... and your wife fell
over with an AMI, you could call your neighbor, give him a freq, then the
two of you
get set up and running, then you can send a 50wpm message asking your
neighbor to call an ambulance? BTW, if the phones are down, you ask him to
get in his
car and drive down to the local EMS agency, and bring them to you. Life
saved!
I'm impressed.
rb

"Dave Oldridge" wrote in message
9...
(Dirk) wrote in :

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

The person would not die on my watch, as long as I could get a signal out
and someone on the other end could copy it. I'd probably have to practice
a bit to get back up over 50wpm, but I can do 25 or 30 all day long.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Old August 22nd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Not true.... commercial stations ID with CW all the time. It's great for
zero-priority use.
rb

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
. ..
"clfe" wrote in
:

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
s.com:

If you asked the same question to someone who had only passed 5 wpm
and then, like me, never used it, then I suspect the victim wouldn't
make it. But then in most countries there is NO morse code testing any
more, so there are plenty of hams now who've never learnt atall. For
decades there have been no code VHF hams in most countries anyway.

To "some" extent, I "may" have to disagree. I held a class once for "No
Code Tech" and one of the guys - a man in his 70s asked if he could go
for the code test even though I wasn't teaching code. He said he had
learned it years ago in the service - but may be rusty. Let me tell you
- when he was done testing, he had PERFECT copy. Was he practicing all
along? We'll never know - nor did I ask. He has since passed on. Some
people DO have a good memory and retain quite well. Others - lose
things almost immediately if not used. Some of us, it takes a while to
lose it and we usually do.

Lou

It is possible that someone could learn at 5wpm, not use it for years, and
still be able to use it, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

More to the point is I can't magine a scenario in which CW would be the
only mode available, and that hams are about the only remaining users of
CW.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Morris Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

Why would they be? 10th graders aren't interested in listening to a bunch of
60yr old men act like 8th graders.
:-)
rb

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
.. .

Yes. That's understandable. Hams these days don't want to act like
hams,
they like to be appliance operators. So kids don't see that CW is
important and fun. All they see is hams gabbing on a microphone like any
CB'er can do.

SC

Actually a lot of tghe boy scouts know morse code, they still arent
intersted in ham radio.

Old August 22nd 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

LOL

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
You can hear the change in noise as a carrier goes on and off. It's
extremely difficult to copy high speed CW like that if the signal is
strong, but a weak signal or slower CW is just as easy to copy as
noise as it is to copy as a pure tone. T1 doesn't mean uncopyable, it
just means ragged tone.

So now amateurs and SWL's should be Morse code proficient
not only using tones but using the swishing sound made when
a BFO is not present?

The swishing sound is coming from aliens. Try making the same sounds
back to them. You might get a more intelligent conversation going than
the one in this cross posted thread.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old August 22nd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

..... yup, and to complete the circle we should also learn both the older and
newer versions of it, because you never know when some
poor 90yr old ex-radio op is gonna fire up his spark-gap and send out a
distress call using non-international code.....
It's all about being prepared, ppl....
rb

"Tom" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.net...
Al Klein wrote:
How honest is it to memorize answers to a test?

How honest is it to memorize Morse code? Or should
Morse code be derived from first principles?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Lets face it folks to be a well rounded Ham one should learn CW. You
never know when it will come in handy. I am not that good at it, maybe a
step or less above a Novice, but I like to fool around with it. One ought
to think about learning it in do time even though it is not required.
My 2 cents worth.