Old August 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Well... no, I got the point just fine. I can't imagine being surrounded by
Spanish-speaking people needing a code interp, or being on a CW freq anyway,
while some emergency happens to be taking place. And yeah, I'm elite like
that... I have a gift for gab... just like a monkey can be trained to tap
out a code of communication, I can parrot what I hear. It [or 50wpm CW]
isn't intelligence in any way, it's just a stupid circus trick. Once
again..... this wasn't or isn't the issue anyway... No one said there were
no pros to the mode, just that the whole "save a life" thing is laughable.
This argument jumps from an issue of speed, then to the generation gap, then
to simple name-calling banter. It's quite humorous and totally stupid. Kudos
to the OP troll! LOL
rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:54:37 GMT, "Woody" wrote:

"Dave Oldridge" wrote in message
. 159...
For CW to be effective, both operators
must be competent. IF they are, they can often transcend barriers of
language that only digital modes can get over. In my own case, the fact
that I could read CW and read written Spanish a bit once enabled me to
render aid to a burning fishing boat. (There were other more routine
examples of where the language barrier was crossed by CW--many messages
copied were not in English at all, but were readable by their end
recipients).

OK.... so by your own words, CW still didn't save a life... CW mixed with
bad Spanish passed a message. So now we'll have to add a Spanish test.
Thanks a lot.

I think you missed the point. Even if you didn't know "ola" from
"adios", you can copy Spanish in CW and hand it to the recipient, who
can read it. Try that with a mic.

As for the language thing.... I can copy voice language and hand it off to
another native just as easy and they'll figure it out too.
No CW necessary.

Really? You can write a spoken language you don't understand well
enough to be read by someone who understands it? Maybe. Maybe not.
In CW, you can.

Old August 28th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Thank you.
rb

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
et...
Al Klein wrote:
Really? You can write a spoken language you don't understand well
enough to be read by someone who understands it? Maybe. Maybe not.
In CW, you can.

Spanish words are easy to write even if one doesn't
understand them. In general, unlike English, there
is usually only one possible way to pronounce and to
spell a Spanish word. You hear "a-di-os". You write
a-d-i-o-s. You don't need to know what it means.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 28th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

And for the millionth time, all you control/speed freaks just don't get
it...... If I could take down a message in CW at 200wpm in High German,
guess what? It'll take me hours to locate a German to translate it. SO.....
shot down yet again, a big burning ball of fire falling from the sky beepin'
SOS till ya hit the water right next to a burning boat...

Let's get back on point please. The question was if you had to use CW to
save a life, would that person die?
The answer is simple. If the person in question knows CW, then no, and if
the person in question doesn't know CW, then yes.
How hard is that? Why can't everyone keep to the issue?
rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 02:32:01 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Really? You can write a spoken language you don't understand well
enough to be read by someone who understands it? Maybe. Maybe not.
In CW, you can.

Spanish words are easy to write even if one doesn't
understand them.

Ever try taking dictation at 100wpm spoken speed in a foreign
language? I have. Even in one I understand, it's difficult. In one
I don't understand it's impossible. Maybe you're better than I am.

In general, unlike English, there
is usually only one possible way to pronounce and to
spell a Spanish word. You hear "a-di-os". You write
a-d-i-o-s. You don't need to know what it means.

When it's spoken very quickly and in a panic, it's more like
"adhyose". Understandable, if weird looking, to a Spaniard. Try some
other languages, though - those you've never heard spoken before. See
how well you do. Then see how well you do in CW ... oh, you already
know that, don't you? -.-. is the same, whether it's hard, soft or
unpronounced. Whether you put a cedilla on it or not, a Spaniard will
understand it. So will a Turk, even though it sounds more like - -.-.
But would you write "Con" for something that sounds like Tchonn?

Old August 28th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Murderer!
rb

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. net...
Al Klein wrote:
Ever try taking dictation at 100wpm spoken speed in a foreign
language? I have. Even in one I understand, it's difficult. In one
I don't understand it's impossible. Maybe you're better than I am.

I can certainly write down Spanish spoken at my CW
speed of 13 wpm which is the whole point. If one speaks
faster, I may not be able to copy it. If one sends CW
to me faster than 13 wpm, for sure I cannot copy it even
in English.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 28th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Hi-quality Maui Wowie bud, bra.... you know, da kine Mary-Jane....
rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:52:28 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Ever try taking dictation at 100wpm spoken speed in a foreign
language? I have. Even in one I understand, it's difficult. In one
I don't understand it's impossible. Maybe you're better than I am.

I can certainly write down Spanish spoken at my CW
speed of 13 wpm

Really? You listen to people speaking at 13 wpm? What are they on?
It sounds like good stuff.

Old August 28th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Ok.... you just ruined your whole argument.... you're now comparing
commercial and professional ops to amateur ops.
What is your point? The issue here is hobby radio operated by hobbyists.

The dark question has yet to be asked anyway... "Should amateur radio ops be
held to professional standards?"
Or maybe it's something about saving a life with CW... it's kinda muddy at
this point....

rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:06:47 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
I can certainly write down Spanish spoken at my CW
speed of 13 wpm

Really? You listen to people speaking at 13 wpm? What are they on?
It sounds like good stuff.

Your objection was that I cannot write Spanish at 100 wpm.
I admit that but I know how to say "despacio" until they
slow down so I can write it down.

As I said in another post, try that in Turkish. Or Latvian. Or any
other language you don't know a single word of.

But in CW, it doesn't matter - you write the letters as they come,
whether you know what they mean or not. In the Navy, we had to read
what we had copied to know what it said - the CW came in your ear and
went out your fingers, you didn't pay attention to it. English? Who
knew, until you read it?

Old August 28th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Excuse me? If you are going to operate on a worldwide basis, you should be
well versed on world languages so you don't have that problem. Ask any
hi-speed op and they should agree.
The funny part being most all foreign ops know English and most US natives
are small appliance bulbs in a world of Xenon driving lights.
rb

"an old friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
I can certainly write down Spanish spoken at my CW
speed of 13 wpm

Really? You listen to people speaking at 13 wpm? What are they on?
It sounds like good stuff.

Your objection was that I cannot write Spanish at 100 wpm.
I admit that but I know how to say "despacio" until they
slow down so I can write it down.

As I said in another post, try that in Turkish. Or Latvian. Or any
other language you don't know a single word of.

But in CW, it doesn't matter - you write the letters as they come,
whether you know what they mean or not. In the Navy, we had to read
what we had copied to know what it said - the CW came in your ear and
went out your fingers, you didn't pay attention to it. English? Who
knew, until you read it?

if you get a message in turkish in most of the USA you still have a
useless message since where are yo going to find some that read the
lang

Old August 28th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Git'em Cecil....

I'm still wondering why he thinks we'd be in the CW band in the first place.
I've killed millions with my lax attitude towards
listening in, and figure I'll be guilty of genocide before I'm done!
rb

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
om...
Al Klein wrote:
As I said in another post, try that in Turkish. Or Latvian. Or any
other language you don't know a single word of.

Sorry, you first challenged me to do that in Spanish.
I have proved beyond any doubt that I can do that.
Your need to suddenly change languages on me speaks
volumes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 28th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

LOL.... I assume you think you've made a point at any time?

It's a simple yes or no question....
If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?
Stay on point please.

Sheesh, why would we be in the CW band in the first place, and then why
taking down code or voice in a foreign language we don't understand?
That Mister, *must* be the epitome of ham....

You know, there are children starving in South America, Babies being
slaughtered at birth in India, and you
think some stupid ham op parked in a chair in poshville USA has a clue about
anything that really matters?
Oh! I know CW, I know CW! I passed a message once and saved the world! And
for the next 30 years I bumbled
around in my back yard drinking beer, eating donuts and doing nothing for
anyone except my own self.

Arrogant Americans lost in space.
That's thick.

rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:12:14 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:

About your lack of content, yes.

Old August 28th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Yeah, yoo big chikin. LOL

I dare you to pick up a mic and do a radio test on 3.865
by saying "Beep, beep, beep, beeeeeeeep"!

rb

"an old friend" wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
As I said in another post, try that in Turkish. Or Latvian. Or any
other language you don't know a single word of.

Sorry, you first challenged me to do that in Spanish.

David's choice was Spanish. My choice was a language one couldn't
understand. Pay attention.

I have proved beyond any doubt that I can do that.
Your need to suddenly change languages on me speaks
volumes.

About your lack of content, yes.

nope your efforts to keep chaning to rules

it is tranperant as see though as your cowardly nature