Old July 25th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

"Steve" wrote in
:

Ya, and you're not a 'real' bowler either unless you have a $500 bowling
ball.

And you're not a 'real' fisherman until you've caught a Marlin off the
coast of Mexico either.

It's only a hobby. If you don't like it, pick another one!

It's not just a hobby, read part 97 again. If you wanted just a hobby you
should've stuck to CB and Stamp collecting.

Help save Ham radio and ignore Mark to save
usenet:

1- No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class every ten years.

2- The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

3- Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

5- Cancel your ARRL membership until they decide to work to improve
things and stop them from proposing ham radio that is like CB.

Old July 25th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default You're not a real ham if you if you keep advocating killing the ARS

Slow Code wrote:
"Steve" wrote in
:

Ya, and you're not a 'real' bowler either unless you have a $500 bowling
ball.

And you're not a 'real' fisherman until you've caught a Marlin off the
coast of Mexico either.

It's only a hobby. If you don't like it, pick another one!

It's not just a hobby, read part 97 again. If you wanted just a hobby you
should've stuck to CB and Stamp collecting.

sure it is a hobby with service related aspects rather the Boy Scouts
are supposed to be

Help save Ham radio and ignore Mark to save
usenet:

if one wants to Help save Ham radio SC needs to get a life

Old July 25th 06, 12:58 AM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.pizza.delivery.drivers,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.flame

an old freind wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
"Steve" wrote in
:

Ya, and you're not a 'real' bowler either unless you have a $500 bowling
ball.

And you're not a 'real' fisherman until you've caught a Marlin off the
coast of Mexico either.

It's only a hobby. If you don't like it, pick another one!

It's not just a hobby, read part 97 again. If you wanted just a hobby you
should've stuck to CB and Stamp collecting.

sure it is a hobby with service related aspects rather the Boy Scouts
are supposed to be

Help save Ham radio and ignore Mark to save
usenet:

if one wants to Help save Ham radio SC needs to get a blow job

a forger anwsering a forrger gte hlp

sc want to jack wiht me?

Old July 25th 06, 03:23 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

interesting thread,

I gues I could be considered a real ham ^ 3 power,

it took me three times to pass my cw test...

but I got my general written the first time.

I enjoy cw and all modes. lets use what we like to use.

73 to all

Old July 25th 06, 05:36 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

In 1964 I passed the 13 WPM test on the first try at the Dallas FCC office.
I was 14. There are plenty who can top that, I'm sure.

The rulemakers "stabbed themselves in the back with their own ballpoints"
(To quote an article from Electronics World in 1962.) when they created CB.
But, as said article went on to point out, the industry needed a shot in the
arm. That article has stuck in my head to this day.

This isn't about creating the best operators, it's about selling the most
junk and having the most votes.

73
H.
NQ5H

Old July 25th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:36:06 -0500, "H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H"
wrote:

This isn't about creating the best operators, it's about selling the most
junk and having the most votes.

But "the hobby will die" and "we need qualified operators" sounds so
much nicer than "the manufacturers need more money".
Old July 25th 06, 08:19 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

This isn't about creating the best operators, it's about selling the most
junk and having the most votes.

But "the hobby will die" and "we need qualified operators" sounds so
much nicer than "the manufacturers need more money".

the hobyy is dying have you been following the threads about ars
numbers have you looked at the ages of folks at hamfests

although yes the copmanies need a bigg enough market to stay in busness
too

Old July 25th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

This isn't about creating the best operators, it's about selling the most
junk and having the most votes.

But "the hobby will die" and "we need qualified operators" sounds so
much nicer than "the manufacturers need more money".

Listen!

"THE MANUFACTURERS NEED MORE MONEY."

"THE MANUFACTURERS NEED BIGGER MARKETS."

"THE MANUFACTURERS NEED MORE ..."

Design and manufacture of any electronics item requires a market to recover
design costs, to recover manufacturing tooling costs, to cover distribution
costs, to provide a return on investment, to provide a return on equity, to
provide net profits to cover medical insurance, to provide net profits for
stock retirement plans, to feed the engine of the economy.

The cost of a single DSP chip that operates at high i.f. frequencies has to be
recovered or the chip designer goes BANKRUPT. How many radios must be sold to
recover a million dollar investment in a single chip?

"THE MANUFACTURERS NEED BIGGER MARKETS."

Follow the money. Understand our hobby/public service!

Finally then, the question becomes not whether we are appliance operators [most
of us are], but do we wish to advance the radio art? "How do we advance the
radio art?" is a complex question with many answers.

Is preserving historic skills part of the art? Is operating AM, when most HF is
SSB, part of the art? Is ragchewing part of the art? Is EME part of the art? Is
old fashioned RTTY part of the art? Is current digital communication part of the
art [most of today's digital is actually ancient]? I say NO!

But, taking the time, using the energy to learn, investing our money in
technology and learning that technology is contributing to the art. Or, is it?

/s/ DD W1MCE

Old July 25th 06, 08:53 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

an old idiot wrote:

sure it is a hobby with service related aspects rather the Boy Scouts
are supposed to be

Cite one place in part 97, which defines amateur radio, where it is
called a hobby.

Old July 26th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

"an old freind" wrote in
oups.com:

cmdr buzz corey wrote:
an old idiot wrote:

sure it is a hobby with service related aspects rather the Boy Scouts
are supposed to be

Cite one place in part 97, which defines amateur radio, where it is
called a hobby.

red herring alert

Part 97 does not define Ham radio, Part 97 defines the rules

WE define Ham radio

And you want ham radio defined like CB. Ten-Four Good-buddy?

Dumbing things down cheapens it, and destroys others enjoyment. Look at
the childish bull**** you do in RRAP. You and the other rejects drove
everyone away with all your retarded bathroom hummor.

That's want will happen with on our HF bands, as it sounds more and more
like CB, good hams will give up on it and leave. Many already have.

Sc