Old January 25th 05, 04:13 AM
Hamguy

Default Canada want to drop the code!

Yeppers...and you can read all about it in this weeks ARRL Letter on
Hamwave.
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=614

Old January 25th 05, 04:50 AM
STEVE TROOK

Hamguy wrote:
Yeppers...and you can read all about it in this weeks ARRL Letter on
Hamwave.
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=614

wish the U.S. would too.
Old January 25th 05, 07:16 PM
nana

"Sarco" wrote in message
. 97.142...
It always amazes me that when ever "change" is proposed in any
organization, there are many people who quiver at the thought, and also
boast the downfall of the establishment that will come with the proposed
change.

Q. How many Ham Radio Operators does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Change?!!

VK2QQ

Old January 26th 05, 03:41 AM
bob

Not this Canadian.

(Heck, I passed 10 and 15, and people complain about 5?? You can look
the darn letters up on a chart at that that speed.)

Old January 26th 05, 02:50 PM
Matt

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
Having no interest in the mode is not a valid reason for dropping it from
testing. There are rational reasons for dropping it (just as there are
equally rational reasons for keeping it) but having no interest in the

mode
is not one of them. That same argument could be applied to every test
question and test element since there is sure to be at least one person

who
has no interest in that question and/or element for every item on the

test.

I've never operated satellite and never intend to and have no interest in
ever doing so. Yet I had to answer questions on it. Do I think it should
be taken out of the test? No, because it is something allowed by my
privileges.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

As I understand it, the reason for the requirement to display proficiency in
CW stemmed from times in the ancient past where CW was the primary (if not
the only) option for communicating, and there was also the requirement that
we be proficient so that we could understand emergency traffic and pass it
on / respond to it. The CW emergency freqs (i.e. 500 KHz) are no longer
used or monitored by the vast majority (is not all) of the emergency groups
(i.e. Coastguard) and CW is not really used by many people or organisations
outside of the amateur community.
There is really no valid reason for the retention of CW as a mandatory
requirement for HF access - many countries around the world have removed it
and surprisingly enough, now that it is no longer a requirement, there is
apparently a resurgence of interest in the mode (here in VK for one). If
you want to keep on using it, feel free, but please don't force others to
learn a mode that is no longet essential, and indeed only barely relevant.
Here in VK we removed the CW requirement for HF access just over a year ago
and while the bands are only slightly more active, there hasn't been the
flood of moronic operators that were being forecasted.

P.S. if I use some of the digital data modes, I can send and receive 100%
copy when CW cannot even be heard - go digital modes.

Matt

Old January 27th 05, 04:33 PM
Adair Winter

"bob" wrote in message
(Heck, I passed 10 and 15, and people complain about 5?? You can look the
darn letters up on a chart at that that speed.)

Exactly, people are just lazy, I passed a 20WPM code test becase "I" wanted
to prove to myself that I was willing to learn and EARN my privledges not
get them handed to me. We live in a microwave centered society where the
vast majorty of people just arn't willing to extend themselves a little. I
agree change is always a hard thing to swollow but I value what amateur
radio is to me and I think it's very sad when someone isn't willing to spend
15-20mins a day for a month to sit down and learn something.. Personally I
think CW is an amazing mode, because it can be used anywhere, not just in
radio. If I'm trapped in a room I can tap it on a wall or I can send it with
a flashlight, etc.... I'm not one of those people who thinks we should
revert back to talking like they did in the 1800's however I believe that
Amateur Radio was built on the principle of morse code and don't see whats
wrong with keeping it in our history.. I bet most everyone in here had to
study and take some form of driving test to get your dirvers license, I
suppose we should stop doing that because it's to hard? The way I see it,
you drop the code eventlly someone will want to drop the written test. If I
wanted that I'd go buy a bunch of CB, MURS, FRS or GMRS radios and find
someone to talk to.
Take some pride in yourself, why must be dumb down out standard over
lazyness or because the rest of the world is?

Adair - KD5DYP

Old January 27th 05, 05:52 PM
Sarco

You hit it right on the head...."I personally think CW is an amazing
mode." However, many do not think it is "amazing". Just because they
disagree with you on this, does not mean they are "lazy".
The function of antenna's and building home brew antennas is also in the
written test. Let's make people writing the test be able to show the
instructor how to build every possible antenna ever designed. They may
be trapped behind a wall somewhere, and need to construct a J-Pole on
the spot!....good God....come out of the dark ages. If people want to
actually WORK CW, then they should be tested on it.

"Adair Winter" wrote in
om:

Old January 27th 05, 06:07 PM
Caveat Lector

Should they be tested on SSB, FM, RTTY, ATV, SSTV, and PSK31 also ??
Does not compute

We really are talking about license requirements as set by a governing body
as opposed to learning the required skills to operate a mode.
--
Caveat Lector

. 97.142...

Old January 27th 05, 09:56 PM
jakdedert

Sarco wrote:
You hit it right on the head...."I personally think CW is an amazing
mode." However, many do not think it is "amazing". Just because they
disagree with you on this, does not mean they are "lazy".
The function of antenna's and building home brew antennas is also in
the written test. Let's make people writing the test be able to show
the instructor how to build every possible antenna ever designed.
They may be trapped behind a wall somewhere, and need to construct a
J-Pole on the spot!....good God....come out of the dark ages. If
people want to actually WORK CW, then they should be tested on it.

IMHO, requiring a code test is like requiring someone to know how to
reupholster their car in order to get a drivers license. It's unlikely that
they will ever use the knowledge.

OTOH, I've seen a number of very simplistic technical questions posted
lately in this and in other forums, by 'hams' who should know better....

jak

"Adair Winter" wrote in
om:

Old January 27th 05, 10:23 PM
Jim - NN7K

jakdedert wrote:

IMHO, requiring a code test is like requiring someone to know how to
reupholster their car in order to get a drivers license. It's unlikely that
they will ever use the knowledge.

OTOH, I've seen a number of very simplistic technical questions posted
lately in this and in other forums, by 'hams' who should know better....

jak

Corse just how many repair their own radios - let alone design them-
Like requireing a person to Build a PORSCH from scratch, when he only
wants to avoid pedestrians, and other traffic! Lets get rid of ALL
testing materials, and abolish the FCC -- then ANYONE can transmit
ANYWHERE, from DC to LIGHT! No callsign required, nor power limits!
Free speech at last ! Makes as much sense! Jim NN7K