Old June 13th 07, 04:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default RCA 56X back, before and after

Yeah, my first thoughts when I received this in the mail was
"What a train wreck" All in all, I think the new one turned
out nicely.

Jeff

--
RESTRICTED AREA. Anyone intruding shall immediately become subject to
the jurisdiction of military law. Intruders will be subject to lethal

Old June 13th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Hi!

All in all, I think the new one turned out nicely.

I'll say it did! That's nothing less than a night and day difference.

Did you rebuild the damaged one or just start from scratch?

William

Old June 13th 07, 05:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

William R. Walsh wrote:
I'll say it did! That's nothing less than a night and day
difference.

Thankies

Did you rebuild the damaged one or just start from scratch?

Rebuild? Hah!

I made a few assumptions about the actual size of the back panel,
did a layout in AutoCAD and made a new piece out of 1/8" hard-
board. Then wound a new coil by hand using #32 Kynar covered wire
wrap wire.

I've found that it fairly well approximates the silk covered
enameled wire as far as turn to turn capacitance. The tricky part
was getting it to lay flat and spot gluing it in place for 21 turns.

Jeff

Old June 13th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Looks great, Jeff.
What did you use to cut out the hardboard and have those nice sharp edges?
Anytime I have cut that stuff I have ended up with the 'fuzzies'.

Neil S.

Old June 13th 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Neil S wrote:

Looks great, Jeff.
What did you use to cut out the hardboard and have those nice
sharp edges?
Anytime I have cut that stuff I have ended up with the 'fuzzies'.

I did the layout work with AutoCAD R-12 using a .3 mm fiber tip
pen on 8-1/2" x 11" paper. Then I used a light spray adhesive to
glue the paper to the hardboard. I made the rough cuts with a
band saw, then finished up the outside with a 24" disk sander
with 80 grit paper. The slots were cut on a Bridgeport mill using
a 1/2" and a 1/4" endmill. Final sanding was done by hand using
120 grit aluminum oxide paper.

For the flat wound antenna coil, I cut down some 1-1/2" white PVC
pipe into 1/4" slices and temporarily glued them to the back to
provide the corners to go around. I used CA glue (gell, the slower
stuff) to spot the wire in place as I went around. Then applied a
final coating over the entire coil with CA glue.

Jeff

Old June 13th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

For the flat wound antenna coil, I cut down some 1-1/2"
PVC pipe into 1/4" slices and temporarily glued them to
the back to provide the corners to go around.

But that would have produced a "vertical" loop of constant "diameter". How
did you get it to lie down, and vary in diameter?

Old June 13th 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message
Yeah, my first thoughts when I received this in the mail was
"What a train wreck" All in all, I think the new one turned
out nicely.

Jeff

All in all, that is beautiful work Jeff. You are an artist.
Regards,
Tom

Old June 13th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

William Sommerwerck wrote:
For the flat wound antenna coil, I cut down some 1-1/2"
PVC pipe into 1/4" slices and temporarily glued them to
the back to provide the corners to go around.

But that would have produced a "vertical" loop of constant "diameter". How
did you get it to lie down, and vary in diameter?

Yeah, it could have. I used them as the starting form for the first
loop. Subsequent turns were laid down progressively around the wire,
not the coil form. Hence my comment about using CA glue to spot glue
the wire in place as I wound the turns.

Jeff

Old June 13th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:50:54 -0700, Jeffrey D Angus
wrote:

Yeah, my first thoughts when I received this in the mail was
"What a train wreck" All in all, I think the new one turned
out nicely.

Jeff

You have more patience than most doctors!
Blacksmith
Scanned radio magazine sets, radio repro plastic/rubber parts and more.
http://www.renovatedradios.com
Old June 14th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message
Yeah, my first thoughts when I received this in the mail was
"What a train wreck" All in all, I think the new one turned
out nicely.

Jeff

Real Purty Jeff!!! Probably looks better than the original when it
was new! You have the patience of a saint!

pete

Looking back art Antenna 4 June 27th 07 04:23 PM
E-Ham is back up Caveat Lector Homebrew 0 May 27th 06 08:58 PM
SB 200 Its back JSF CB 0 May 12th 06 06:02 PM
it's back 11.362.hz David Shortwave 3 December 24th 04 01:38 PM
Put it back in the box... Steve Swap 11 April 15th 04 11:09 AM