RadioBanter

-   Radio Photos (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/)
-   -   Eye problems (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/134102-eye-problems.html)

Michael A. Terrell June 9th 08 10:45 PM

Eye problems

Is anyone still waiting for a scan of a schematic or manual that I
haven't posted? I have been unable to see out of my right eye since
Friday afternoon. of course that was my good eye. If there is anyone
still waiting for something, please let me know now. The VA still
wasn't set an appointment with the ophthalmologist, but my primary care
physician is very worried about this. If this is permanent, I won't be
able to spend much time online. I can barely see with my left eye, and
typing is almost impossible.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.

Omer S June 10th 08 04:49 AM

Eye problems

Dude,

Go to urgent care now, and have your eye checked!

Omer

m...

Brenda Ann June 10th 08 06:37 AM

Eye problems

"Omer S" wrote in message
m...
Dude,

Go to urgent care now, and have your eye checked!

Omer

I'm with Omer... don't delay on something this important. I hope that it's
nothing permanent, and that you are better soon.

Michael A. Terrell June 10th 08 07:27 PM

Eye problems

Omer S wrote:

Dude,

Go to urgent care now, and have your eye checked!

It's an hour away, and I am trying to find a ride. I can't see well
enough to make it there in one piece. There is a pretty good storm
right now, and my left eye doesn't recover very fast after a lightning
flash. I don't want to be driving on a slick Interstate highway and
completely blind at 70 MPH.

Michael A. Terrell June 11th 08 07:01 PM

Eye problems

Brenda Ann wrote:

"Omer S" wrote in message
m...
Dude,

Go to urgent care now, and have your eye checked!

Omer

I'm with Omer... don't delay on something this important. I hope that it's
nothing permanent, and that you are better soon.

Thank you. I will try again in the morning for a no show seat on the
VA hospital shuttle.

Randy or Sherry Guttery June 11th 08 08:00 PM

Eye problems

Jim Menning wrote:

Lots of people around here have no insurance or money, and still get taken care of at
the local hospital or clinic. Why are you even messing with the VA?

Because if the local hospital or clinic finds out you are eligible to
get care "else where" that's where they "send" you. Just ask any of the
thousands of VETs who were promised many benefits that are impossible to
get - or so difficult most give up trying.

I'm fortunate enough to have private insurance - because we have to
travel over a hundred miles *each way* to the closest VET facility - and
the waiting list for even a simple appointment runs roughly six months.
I know a man that was on a list for a serious problem - they finally
called to tell him his appointment date - 18 MONTHS after he died - and
the appointment date? - just short of three months.

Sometimes the cost of serving one's country comes later than one
anticipates...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Randy or Sherry Guttery June 11th 08 10:24 PM

Eye problems

Jim Menning wrote:

For emergency care?

Only life threatening emergency care - otherwise if you are "stable" and
not life threatening - out you go (unless, of course you can afford to
pay their "cash" price *up front*). Sherry and I are both covered by
blue Cross - both recently had surgery - two different hospitals. They
"estimated" what they thought would be the amount *after insurance*
(co-pays, deductibles, etc.) and required that BEFORE we were admitted
the day of surgery. And yes - by the time I got into surgery - I was in
a life threatening condition...

just my .02

PeterD June 11th 08 10:54 PM

Eye problems

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:24:20 -0500, Randy or Sherry Guttery
wrote:

Jim Menning wrote:

For emergency care?

Only life threatening emergency care - otherwise if you are "stable" and
not life threatening - out you go (unless, of course you can afford to
pay their "cash" price *up front*). Sherry and I are both covered by
blue Cross - both recently had surgery - two different hospitals. They
"estimated" what they thought would be the amount *after insurance*
(co-pays, deductibles, etc.) and required that BEFORE we were admitted
the day of surgery. And yes - by the time I got into surgery - I was in
a life threatening condition...

just my .02

If you want my take on this, it is life-threating in Michael's case.
If he is suffering from a brain injury (very likely) such as a stroke,
other other similar problem the end result would be unplesant to say
the least.

Anytime one looses sight in one eye, a call to 911 is the immediate
thing to do. There are drugs that can minimize the injury to the
brain.

Omer S June 12th 08 03:03 AM

Eye problems

Michael!

Tell the *******s at the local hospital that you think you are have a
stroke!

I might get you in to urgent care.

Omer

Michael A. Terrell June 12th 08 03:36 AM

Eye problems

Brenda Ann wrote:

"Omer S" wrote in message
m...
Dude,

Go to urgent care now, and have your eye checked!

Omer

I'm with Omer... don't delay on something this important. I hope that it's
nothing permanent, and that you are better soon.

Thank you. I will try again in the morning for a no show seat on the
VA hospital shuttle.

Lots of people around here have no insurance or money, and still get taken care of at
the local hospital or clinic.

I'm not an illegal alien, woman or child, so they just tell me "We
can't help you. Go way, right now!" Even minimal VA coverage is
considered 'insured', but by a non member, so the only way to be
admitted is for a heart attack or major accident. As soon as you are
stable enough, you will be transferred to the closest VA facility,
whether they can provide the proper care, or not. Not all hospitals take
care of all types of problems. Some go to Tampa, some to Gainesville or
LAke City, and others have to be transported out of state. You may even
be shuttled from one VA hospital to another, till they find a bed for
you.

Why are you even messing with the VA?

What other choice do I have? If I could afford to use anyone else, I
would already be. No one gives a **** about Veterans needs, but they
love to tell lots of lies about what they'll do if we're stupid enough
to elect them. Even the nurse at the VA clinic tried to dismiss the
problem by telling me, "Just go to Walgreen's and buy some eye drops."

You all need to remember this with the promise of 'National Health
Care'. They can't even get it right for a couple percent of the US
population so you can well imagination just how FUBAR it will be when
applied to everyone. For instance: I have used a Blood Glucose meter
for over four years. I am on my third different VA supplied meter so
far, and I got my first "Sharps container' delivered by UPS today.

John Byrns[_2_] June 12th 08 06:30 PM

Eye problems

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

What other choice do I have? If I could afford to use anyone else, I
would already be. No one gives a **** about Veterans needs, but they
love to tell lots of lies about what they'll do if we're stupid enough
to elect them. Even the nurse at the VA clinic tried to dismiss the
problem by telling me, "Just go to Walgreen's and buy some eye drops."

You all need to remember this with the promise of 'National Health
Care'. They can't even get it right for a couple percent of the US
population so you can well imagination just how FUBAR it will be when
applied to everyone.

So, this is where we are all headed with the coming national health care
system, rationed health care? The congress is already chomping at the
bit to change Medicare part D to the VA model and Formulary next year,
once Bush is out of office and no longer presents a veto threat.

Regards,

John Byrns

Brian Hill[_2_] June 12th 08 09:15 PM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message So, this is where we
are all headed with the coming national health care
system, rationed health care?

Yes it is where we are all headed and our Vets have taken it in the shorts
for ever. Have you ever been to VA hospital? Under funded ********s is what
they are. The way our Vets are treated is despicable. My uncle did two
combat tours of duty back to back, first in Korea and then in Nam. He's has
cancer from Agent Orange and our govs first and only offer of restitution
was a big check for $650. I hate those mother ****in pigs! Sorry guys about
the language but when people like Michael and my Uncle suffer after signing
their lives away to defend us and can't get the help they deserve, it really
makes me fighting mad. We should all put an end to this madness. It's gotten
way out of hand.

--
Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Brenda Ann June 12th 08 09:34 PM

Eye problems

"Brian Hill" wrote in message ...

"John Byrns" wrote in message So, this is where we
are all headed with the coming national health care
system, rationed health care?

Yes it is where we are all headed and our Vets have taken it in the shorts
for ever. Have you ever been to VA hospital? Under funded ********s is
what they are. The way our Vets are treated is despicable. My uncle did
two combat tours of duty back to back, first in Korea and then in Nam.
He's has cancer from Agent Orange and our govs first and only offer of
restitution was a big check for $650. I hate those mother ****in pigs!
Sorry guys about the language but when people like Michael and my Uncle
suffer after signing their lives away to defend us and can't get the help
they deserve, it really makes me fighting mad. We should all put an end to
this madness. It's gotten way out of hand.

And then McCain decides that he doesn't like the new GI bill because he's so
afraid that if it passed, and they were actually GIVEN anything for their
service, that they might leave after just three years. That's the lamest
reasoning I've ever heard in my life. The folks that are going to leave the
service after three years already have that idea going in, GI benefits or
not. The ones that plan to make it a career do so, benefits or not.

Brian Hill[_2_] June 12th 08 09:51 PM

Eye problems

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Brian Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

Well the cats out of the bag now in regurds to how soldiers are treated so
I'd bet it'll be quite a bit harder in the future to enlist any decent
recruits. McCains a sellout that forgot where the **** he comes from. Does
money caviar and fame do that to some people? Answer-Yes!

BH

John Byrns[_2_] June 12th 08 11:53 PM

Eye problems

In article , "Brian Hill" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
So, this is where we
are all headed with the coming national health care
system, rationed health care?

Yes it is where we are all headed and our Vets have taken it in the shorts
for ever. Have you ever been to VA hospital? Under funded ********s is what
they are. The way our Vets are treated is despicable. My uncle did two
combat tours of duty back to back, first in Korea and then in Nam.

I was never very good in history, but having lived through the period in
question I have to conclude that you have fabricated this story about
your uncle out of whole cloth. Unless my memory fails me, which is
possible, there was a considerable interval of years between the time
combat ceased in Korea, and the time combat started in "Nam", how do you
get "two combat tours of duty back to back, first in Korea and then in
Nam" out of that?

Regards,

John Byrns

Carter June 13th 08 12:04 AM

Eye problems

Brian Hill wrote:

Well the cats out of the bag now in regurds to how soldiers are treated so
I'd bet it'll be quite a bit harder in the future to enlist any decent
recruits.

I thought "decent recruits" were fading fast -- the military is now
accepting way lower test scores and those with criminal records. How can
they go any lower when they are already scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Brian Hill[_2_] June 13th 08 12:31 AM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article , "Brian Hill" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
[...]

Yes there was a big interval between those two wars but he was stationed
there after the war during the 60s. He even helped in setting up some
orphanages there after the war as well as other things. My point was he
served our military from Korea to Vietnam. I didn't mean he was continually
in combat.

BH

TerryJ[_2_] June 13th 08 12:34 AM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article , "Brian Hill" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
[...]

I am sure 'back to back' was used figuratively. My uncle served in combat in
WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. Not 'back to back' but close enough.

Brian Hill[_2_] June 13th 08 12:48 AM

Eye problems

"TerryJ" wrote in message

I was never very good in history, but having lived through the period in
question I have to conclude that you have fabricated this story about
your uncle out of whole cloth. Unless my memory fails me, which is
possible, there was a considerable interval of years between the time
combat ceased in Korea, and the time combat started in "Nam", how do you
get "two combat tours of duty back to back, first in Korea and then in
Nam" out of that?

Regards,

John Byrns

I am sure 'back to back' was used figuratively. My uncle served in combat
in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. Not 'back to back' but close enough.

Yep thats all I meant. And lets not forget, soldiers don't just fight, they
end up doing all kinds of things before, durring and after wars.

BH

Brenda Ann June 13th 08 01:03 AM

Eye problems

"Brian Hill" wrote in message ...

Yep thats all I meant. And lets not forget, soldiers don't just fight,
they end up doing all kinds of things before, durring and after wars.

BH

We still take occasional casualties here. There's a camp on the DMZ named
after an officer that was killed up there by an ax-weilding N. Korean.

William Sommerwerck[_2_] June 13th 08 02:05 AM

Eye problems

So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get this stuff from, Rush
Limbaugh?

Brenda Ann June 13th 08 02:10 AM

Eye problems

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get this stuff from, Rush
Limbaugh?

Most insured already are dealing with rationed health care, run by HMO's
where any care is determined by THEIR bottom line.

exray[_3_] June 13th 08 02:39 AM

Eye problems

Carter wrote:

I thought "decent recruits" were fading fast -- the military is now
accepting way lower test scores and those with criminal records. How can
they go any lower when they are already scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Don't be so quick to judge.

Are you familiar with the ASVAB tests? This isn't the quick hosedown
for recruitment that was prevalent during Vietnam. Maybe they are
lowering standards on the testing scores but "scraping the bottom of the
barrel" is a stretch.

I can say that because I have a 21-y/o here at home who wants to join
but quite frankly wasn't the best student in our mediocre educational
system and the ASVAB is quite the challenge for him. He's studying the
test like we studied SATs to get into college.

If we don't fix the basic educational system, fat chance we have of
getting decent recruits. Its not cannon-fodder they are looking for
like it used to be as recently as VietNam.

It takes some digging to find sample ASVAB tests online. I found one
and ran thru it myself and scored very well. I can't imagine my kid
being able to even make a credible score unless he is a lot more savvy
than the local school board has revealed.

I wish they would bring up the national educational standard to this
level rather than vice-versa. I didn't see a single question about how
to place condoms on a banana or how faggots are normal people which
seems to be a big deal for public schools.

As for vets and VA facilities....I'm not a vet but many of my cronies
are. They have the normal complaints about efficiency and service but
there are few horror stories coming out of San Juan. For clients here
in Vieques (an offshore island) they even pay RT airfare for attending
the appointments and often pay the airfare for the person accompanying
the patient if it is justified.

Just as a civilian observation, I think a lot of the 'care' issues are
related to health maintenance. My cronies here are over at the VA once
every few weeks dealing with some matter or other...that stuff becomes a
way of life from your fifties onward, veteran or not. Its all
scheduled, no refusals, no waiting 6 weeks. Guy in charge of 'your'
case is accessible by cellfone 24 hrs a day. Maybe, for once,
facilities in Puerto Rico are better than the mainland? We have a
National Health Card scheme that makes many people wish they were
veterans entitled to the VA services !

I know Michael has a threatening medical emergency about once every few
months and he is the same age as me but not as lucky in health. I think
a regular regimen of sitting in the VA Hospital lobby to do health
maintenance might work out better in the long run for Mike.

Good luck to ya, Michael A.

exray[_3_] June 13th 08 03:53 AM

Eye problems

1 Attachment(s)
Brenda Ann wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get this stuff from, Rush
Limbaugh?

Most insured already are dealing with rationed health care, run by HMO's
where any care is determined by THEIR bottom line.

Its a US mainland thing.

Here in PR we have free national care and private care is relatively
inexpensive as a consequence. See photo of my 3S/Blue Cross card.
$130/month, copays are shown and there are no additional (ie: zero)
deductibles. There's some glitches in the system but it works.

Its a Hot issue for me right now since my wife is in the hospital for a
few days for an elective operation under our local health care plan, not
my private plan. Maybe $16 out of pocket so far. "Care" is a bit less
than what the mainland is accustomed to...bring your own pyjamas and
pillow type of stuff.

We in PR have a terrible local economy yet our tax base still makes
universal care practical.

No reason in the world for the US Mainland not being able to do the same
thing. If you think the 'public' hospital in Fajardo, PR is one of
those places dripping with shotup drug dealers bleeding all over the
place and chickens running in/out of the operating rooms ya better think
again. As bitchy as I am I have no complaints.

National medical care can work. Doesn't need to be rationed or
substandard. But it involves re-inventing the wheel.

I made some comments about the VA in another post...I think raising the
bar for *public* care has some advantage. Seems to be the case here in
Puerto Rico.

-ex

John Byrns[_2_] June 13th 08 04:36 AM

Eye problems

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get this stuff from, Rush
Limbaugh?

I take it you don't own a Television set, we have just been through a
long primary election season with much talk of a national health care
system. The "rationed health care" part was my own addition as I don't
see how they can make it work without some form or rationing. I don't
listen to Rush Limbaugh, what is he saying about this issue?

Regards,

John Byrns

Brenda Ann June 13th 08 04:48 AM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get this stuff from,
Rush
Limbaugh?

I take it you don't own a Television set, we have just been through a
long primary election season with much talk of a national health care
system. The "rationed health care" part was my own addition as I don't
see how they can make it work without some form or rationing. I don't
listen to Rush Limbaugh, what is he saying about this issue?

Having listened to the news each and every day for years, I have not heard
of a 'national healthcare system'. There has been talk of universal
insurance coverage. This is not the same thing. For the record, though. I do
not believe that universal insurance coverage is the way to go. I'm not sure
what IS the way to go, and don't pretend that I do... but forcing health
insurance and it's payments on everyone is wrong. There are millions of
people that do not make enough money to pay for insurance, mandated or not.
I've disliked Hillary Clinton since her husband's first term, when she was
trying to force everyone to buy health insurance. At the time, it would have
cost me about $3000 a year in premiums, while I only made $9000 a year, with
$4200 a year for rent plus more for food, gasoline, utilities, etc.. I
didn't have enough for savings as it was, let alone a spare $3G to give to
some HMO for coverage I didn't need. To date (I am 53 years old), I have
spent less than $9,000 on health care in my entire life.

William Sommerwerck[_2_] June 13th 08 12:48 PM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get
thisstuff from, Rush Limbaugh?

I take it you don't own a Television set, we have just been through a
long primary election season with much talk of a national health care
system.

I haven't heard anything of a "national health care system". I _have_ heard
discussions of how to finance universal health care, which is not at all the
same thing. None of the principal candidates have advocated any such thing.
Though some right-wing commentators have talked about universal health care
(however it's implemented) as being equivalent to "socialized medicine", an
attempt to confuse the issue.

Great Britain has a national health care system, run by the government, with
attendant long waits, etc.

William Sommerwerck[_2_] June 13th 08 12:54 PM

Eye problems

Having listened to the news each and every day for years, I have
not heard of a 'national healthcare system'. There has been talk
of universal insurance coverage. This is not the same thing.

Thank you for understanding.

[...]

You're fortunate. Had I not had insurance from my employer in 2006, I would
have died. (I have a rough idea of what Michael Terrel is going through.)
The total cost of my surgery, hospital fees, etc, was in the range of
$40,000. I paid abut $4500 in deductibles.

I see no ideal system to get health care to everyone. The system I would
like to see would have everyone -- individuals. businesses, the
government -- put money into big pot. Doctors, pharmacies, and other
providers would then simply bill the government.

I call this an "everyone pays, single pay-outer" system. It has obvious
problems -- but every system does.

John Byrns[_2_] June 13th 08 07:14 PM

Eye problems

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

So, this is where we are all headed with the coming
national health care system, rationed health care?

What "national health care" system? Where do you get
thisstuff from, Rush Limbaugh?

I take it you don't own a Television set, we have just been through a
long primary election season with much talk of a national health care
system.

I haven't heard anything of a "national health care system". I _have_ heard
discussions of how to finance universal health care, which is not at all the
same thing. None of the principal candidates have advocated any such thing.

Sorry, I tend to think of "universal health care", "national health
care", and "socialized medicine", as synonyms. "Universal health care"
is presumably something of a different animal as you point out, but I
suspect that what it really is, is part of an animal, the camel's nose
under the tent if you will, which must inevitably lead to national
health care/socialized medicine at some point in the future to remain
viable.

Though some right-wing commentators have talked about universal health care
(however it's implemented) as being equivalent to "socialized medicine", an
attempt to confuse the issue.

On the other hand some left-wing commentators speak of national health
care/socialized medicine as the place we must go for fairness. Many
members of the general public, both left and right, seem to also fail to
properly distinguish between the different health care systems.

While you may very well be correct that none of the principal candidates
have advocated national health care/socialized medicine this may be
because Hillary learned her lesson last time around, and didn't want to
make the same mistake again. IIRC back in 93/94 Hillary was seriously
advocating national health care/socialized medicine, although for all I
know that may not have been reflected in her final proposal, which I
didn't pay any attention to as it was obvious by then that it was going
to be dead on arrival in any case. As far as the other principal
candidate, Barack, goes, I don't have a clue what he is proposing other
than the fact that Hillary says that it isn't "universal". Beyond that
he has been very vague, can you explain his health care proposal to me,
or point me to a web site where I can find some actual details?

Great Britain has a national health care system, run by the government, with
attendant long waits, etc.

There you go, sounds like rationing to me. I get the impression that
people are expecting a heath care system free of rationing, that
everyone will be able to get all the health care they might want, and I
just don't see how that could be done. Some form of rationing appears
to be necessary for any system to work, including our current system,
it's simply an issue of how the rationing is going to be accomplished.

Regards,

John Byrns

Carter June 13th 08 08:32 PM

Eye problems

exray wrote:

Don't be so quick to judge.

Are you familiar with the ASVAB tests? This isn't the quick hosedown
for recruitment that was prevalent during Vietnam. Maybe they are
lowering standards on the testing scores but "scraping the bottom of the
barrel" is a stretch.

I can say that because I have a 21-y/o here at home who wants to join
but quite frankly wasn't the best student in our mediocre educational
system and the ASVAB is quite the challenge for him. He's studying the
test like we studied SATs to get into college.

If we don't fix the basic educational system, fat chance we have of
getting decent recruits. Its not cannon-fodder they are looking for
like it used to be as recently as VietNam.

First, no disrespect to your son. I am 110% positive many great kids are
joining.

However, -broadly speaking-, the standards HAVE been lowered. Also, you
overlooked (ignored?) my comment about the crime issue. They ARE now
accepting people with NASTY criminal records. So, yes, at least
philosophically speaking (and with individual exceptions), I believe
they -are- scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Finally, and as a whole different issue, you and I are in complete
agreement: The educational system in this country is absolutely
horrible, a disgrace, one that may even lead to the downfall of this
country.

Just as a civilian observation, [snip]... Maybe, for once,
facilities in Puerto Rico are better than the mainland?

That could well be. However, and again -generally- speaking, Michael's
circumstances seem to be more the norm. First we promise our kids the
best treatment and care as inducement to get them to join up.
Unfortunately, the -general- reality is that the promises our kids
received are not met and our broken promises to them is a national disgrace.

Good luck to ya, Michael A.

I'll second that!

Brenda Ann June 13th 08 10:18 PM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message

There you go, sounds like rationing to me. I get the impression that
people are expecting a heath care system free of rationing, that
everyone will be able to get all the health care they might want, and I
just don't see how that could be done. Some form of rationing appears
to be necessary for any system to work, including our current system,
it's simply an issue of how the rationing is going to be accomplished.

Again, all but the rich are already receiving, at best, rationed health
care, since that is all we can get out of the insurance companies who let a
pencil pusher second guess the doctor as to what sort of treatment you
"need".

jakdedert June 13th 08 10:48 PM

Eye problems

Brenda Ann wrote:
"John Byrns" wrote in message
There you go, sounds like rationing to me. I get the impression that
people are expecting a heath care system free of rationing, that
everyone will be able to get all the health care they might want, and I
just don't see how that could be done. Some form of rationing appears
to be necessary for any system to work, including our current system,
it's simply an issue of how the rationing is going to be accomplished.

Again, all but the rich are already receiving, at best, rationed health
care, since that is all we can get out of the insurance companies who let a
pencil pusher second guess the doctor as to what sort of treatment you
"need".

Many years ago, when I 'had' health insurance, I made an appointment to
get a mole removed. Where I live there are many hospitals. At the
largest one, where I made the appointment, the earliest slot was three
months down the line. I missed that appointment and had to make another
one...another three months. I got the mole removed, made my copay
(along with my premium)...and the mole came back.

It's still there.....

jak

John Byrns[_2_] June 14th 08 12:58 AM

Eye problems

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message

There you go, sounds like rationing to me. I get the impression that
people are expecting a heath care system free of rationing, that
everyone will be able to get all the health care they might want, and I
just don't see how that could be done. Some form of rationing appears
to be necessary for any system to work, including our current system,
it's simply an issue of how the rationing is going to be accomplished.

Again, all but the rich are already receiving, at best, rationed health
care, since that is all we can get out of the insurance companies who let a
pencil pusher second guess the doctor as to what sort of treatment you
"need".

So then the relevant question becomes, are there enough "rich", with
enough money, to finance health care for all the non rich among us,
without rationing?

Regards,

John Byrns

William Sommerwerck[_2_] June 14th 08 01:26 AM

Eye problems

Sorry, I tend to think of "universal health care", "national health
care", and "socialized medicine", as synonyms. "Universal health care"
is presumably something of a different animal as you point out, but I
suspect that what it really is, is part of an animal, the camel's nose
under the tent if you will, which must inevitably lead to national
health care/socialized medicine at some point in the future to remain
viable.

That's an interesting point. Your assumption -- which has some validity --
is that it will be impossible to properly finance truly universal health
care, thus obliging the government to take over the entire health-care
system. Which, Liberal though I am, I would not like to experience.

I get the impression that people are expecting a heath care system
free of rationing, that everyone will be able to get all the health care
they might want, and I just don't see how that could be done.

One form of "rationing" is keeping people from demanding health care they
don't actually need. Insurance companies and HMOs are supposed to be doing
this, but too often it seems that people are denied care they truly need.

Brian Hill[_2_] June 14th 08 04:06 AM

Eye problems

"John Byrns" wrote in message

So then the relevant question becomes, are there enough "rich", with
enough money, to finance health care for all the non rich among us,
without rationing?

Regards,

John Byrns

There it is, you just answered your own question. America has the highest
level of poverty and income inequality of any rich nation. The rich and
middle class provide coverage for the poor masses " which is huge in this
country". Deal with poverty in this country and you'll deal with one of the
major costs associatted with our health care system. The other big problem
is that there is more profit in a pound of cure than an ounce of prevention.

Brian Hill[_2_] June 14th 08 04:16 AM

Eye problems

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Yep thats all I meant. And lets not forget, soldiers don't just fight,
they end up doing all kinds of things before, durring and after wars.

BH

We still take occasional casualties here. There's a camp on the DMZ named
after an officer that was killed up there by an ax-weilding N. Korean.

Really? That's crazy. With an ax? What a terrible way to go.

BH

hifi-tek June 14th 08 04:37 AM

Eye problems

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"John Byrns" wrote in message

[...]

The biggest problem with health insurance in general, is that the poorest
people, who can least afford it, are the very ones who need it the most.
Because of ignorance, lifestyle choices, attitude, etc. the poorest sector
of the population is the one you most see frequenting the ER departments at
hospitals. There is no solution to this dilemma except to have the upper
middle class and the rich help subsidize health care for the poor. We will
always have the poor with us, and there is some social responsibility for
the more affluent to help take care of the less fortunate. This is not
redistributon of wealth, it is simply, "help your fellow man". "Deal with
poverty in this country," sounds noble and good, but here in America, we
have been trying to deal with poverty for many years. Johnson's war on
poverty and its ilk has cost this country $500 billion over 45 years, and I
have yet to see a noticeable decrease in the numeric percentage of poor
people vs. non poor. Having said that, even the very wealthy sometimes do
not benefit from our health care system. Tim Russert is a good example. No
amount of sophisticated health care was able to help him. Sadly, I might
add. He was a good guy, he'll be missed . . .
Just my .02 worth (adjusted for inflation)
Regards,
Tom

Buck Frobisher June 14th 08 05:32 AM

Eye problems

"hifi-tek" wrote in message
m...
snip
[...]

Tom,

Yes, it's vexing, isn't it? Canada has been trying to deal with "poverty
and its ilk" for many years now, especially as it concerns health care, but
as you point out, the poor are quite stupid and they continually make bad
choices. This makes it very difficult to help them, since they don't always
follow our "suggestions".

I'm sure if you have any actual ideas as to how we could improve our stats,
they would be eagerly accepted.

This "help your fellow man" thing is getting tiresome, I agree. It's driven
our taxes to the stratosphere!

jakdedert June 14th 08 09:15 AM

Eye problems

Brian Hill wrote:
"John Byrns" wrote in message

So then the relevant question becomes, are there enough "rich", with
enough money, to finance health care for all the non rich among us,
without rationing?

Regards,

John Byrns

There it is, you just answered your own question. America has the highest
level of poverty and income inequality of any rich nation. The rich and
middle class provide coverage for the poor masses " which is huge in this
country". Deal with poverty in this country and you'll deal with one of the
major costs associatted with our health care system. The other big problem
is that there is more profit in a pound of cure than an ounce of prevention.

Add to that the fact that lack of access to quality health care is in
itself a major cause of poverty. In addition, paying for a single
health issue has caused many formerly solvent individuals and families
to slip below the poverty level.

jak

exray[_3_] June 14th 08 11:50 AM

Eye problems

Buck Frobisher wrote:

I'm sure if you have any actual ideas as to how we could improve our
stats, they would be eagerly accepted.

Too lazy to go look up the exact income figures but "poor" in the US
would be middle class in most of the world. And thats just income. The
additional entitlements when given a dollar value push the 'income'
figure quite high.

Its not up to me to judge who is poor and who is not. My income is
below the poverty line so I can't help but think that over the years the
giveaway program has self-widened to encompass more people. A lot of
that has to do with mismanagement of the programs and also smacks of
lack of political will to tighten it up.

From my perspective the biggest stumbling block to any sort of national
health care program is the cost of the services themselves. A national
"insurance" validates an already 'too expensive' medical system and I
can't see that as workable. On the other hand I see no reason why the
gubmint cannot become involved with providing direct services for the
less fortunate. That may sound socialistic but at least is the humane
thing to do. If they can get that obligation functional then maybe it
can be expanded accordingly as needed.

Thats how it works here and it seems to work well. Medical costs across
the board are about 1/3 that of the US mainland and there is virtually
no difference in the level or quality of the care. Our system would not
work if it weren't for that.

-Bill