Old June 13th 08, 02:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default My ruined father's day gift.

Thanks to a clueless ePay seller. I wanted one for forty years,
and finally snagged a decent one for a good price. The jerk didn't
even use packing material in the box! What a let down, I could
have cried when I took it out of the box. My kid bought it for me.

Pete

Old June 13th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Tio Pedro wrote:
Thanks to a clueless ePay seller. I wanted one for forty years,
and finally snagged a decent one for a good price. The jerk didn't
even use packing material in the box! What a let down, I could
have cried when I took it out of the box. My kid bought it for me.

Pete

The two most common things in the universe...hydrogen and stupidity. :-(

At least from you picture, it seems that the damage is confined to the
front panel -- and you have a good shot at repairing it.

Remove the front panel from the radio. Get a couple of two by tens just
a little longer than the panel. Make a 'sandwich' with the panel between
the two boards. Use 4 C-clamps, one on each corner and slowly press the
panel back into shape.

Good luck!
Old June 13th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Carter" wrote in message news:jbk4k.6529$
The two most common things in the universe...hydrogen and stupidity. :-(

At least from you picture, it seems that the damage is confined to the
front panel -- and you have a good shot at repairing it.

Remove the front panel from the radio. Get a couple of two by tens just a
little longer than the panel. Make a 'sandwich' with the panel between the
two boards. Use 4 C-clamps, one on each corner and slowly press the panel
back into shape.

Good luck!

Carter..

Good suggestions. This radio was almost immaculate before
it was destroyed, and that is what hurts. I'm hoping the
paint doesn't "chip" when I attempt to straighten the
panel. I'll try the C-clamps and report back how it goes.

Pete

Old June 13th 08, 03:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Tio Pedro wrote:
Thanks to a clueless ePay seller. I wanted one for forty years,
and finally snagged a decent one for a good price. The jerk didn't
even use packing material in the box! What a let down, I could
have cried when I took it out of the box. My kid bought it for me.

Pete

Ouch, and ya got such a good deal on it. Hapless seller's like that
should be drawn and quartered.

Zing him on ebay feedback is about all you can do. If you want a bigger
hammer for satisfaction post his email address around the forums and I'm
sure many folks would like to have a go at him to vent frustrations.

-ex
Old June 13th 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Ken Ken is offline

exray wrote:
Tio Pedro wrote:
Thanks to a clueless ePay seller. I wanted one for forty years,
and finally snagged a decent one for a good price. The jerk didn't
even use packing material in the box! What a let down, I could
have cried when I took it out of the box. My kid bought it for me.

Pete

Ouch, and ya got such a good deal on it. Hapless seller's like that
should be drawn and quartered.

Zing him on ebay feedback is about all you can do. If you want a bigger
hammer for satisfaction post his email address around the forums and I'm
sure many folks would like to have a go at him to vent frustrations.

-ex

Who was the carrier? Ken

Old June 13th 08, 10:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Jim Menning" wrote in message
The carrier doesn't matter. Who was the fool that shipped it without
learning to

pack? No carrier could protect that radio the way it was packaged, unless
they hand carried it the whole way.

I'd do a credit card chargeback or a SNAD eBay/Paypal claim.

UPS was the carrier. I am positive they would laugh at a claim,
and I would be embarassed to ask for a settlement considering
how poorly it was packed. The top cover was loose, and the
radio barely fit the box. When a heavy object hit the box,
the top cover slide down, crumpling the front panel in the
process. The seller is clueless.

Pete

Old June 13th 08, 10:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Tio Pedro" wrote in message

"Jim Menning" wrote in message
The carrier doesn't matter. Who was the fool that shipped it without
learning to
pack? No carrier could protect that radio the way it was packaged,
unless they hand carried it the whole way.

I'd do a credit card chargeback or a SNAD eBay/Paypal claim.

UPS was the carrier. I am positive they would laugh at a claim,
and I would be embarassed to ask for a settlement considering
how poorly it was packed. The top cover was loose, and the
radio barely fit the box. When a heavy object hit the box,
the top cover slide down, crumpling the front panel in the
process. The seller is clueless.

Pete

Are you pursuing the seller?

Jim

I am making his life miserable, yes. But to what end?
Even if he agrees to fully refund all of my money I am
still not made whole since these receivers have been
selling for outrageous sums as of late.

If he insured it for it's true value, and
packed it properly, I could be made whole. I don't know
what to do. I have a Pay Pal dispute, which will tie up
his account for at least 20 days. He left positive feedback
when I paid, score one point for me. It is a no win
situation no matter how I look at it.

Pete

Old June 13th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Whether or not he insured it, and at what value is irrelevant. The seller
is responsible to deliver it to the buyer in the described condition.
Period.

A SNAD dispute or a cc chargeback will get the money back. It can at
least cover the loss, allowing you to continue your search for a nice one.
A no win situation maybe, but at least it should be a no loss one.

Can't be a no loss one. Even if he gets all his money back, he's then
obligated to ship the radio back to the seller at HIS expense. There are no
winners in this situation, only ways to cut your losses.

Old June 13th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Whether or not he insured it, and at what value is irrelevant. The
seller is responsible to deliver it to the buyer in the described
condition. Period.

A SNAD dispute or a cc chargeback will get the money back. It can at
least cover the loss, allowing you to continue your search for a nice
one. A no win situation maybe, but at least it should be a no loss one.

Can't be a no loss one. Even if he gets all his money back, he's then
obligated to ship the radio back to the seller at HIS expense. There are
no winners in this situation, only ways to cut your losses.

Under the laws of many states, I am damaged by the amount of
the value of the radio, which may be entirely unrelated to the
selling cost. There have been court cases were sellers reneged
on a deal, and had to pay damages that exceeded the agreed
upon price.

Pete

Old June 14th 08, 12:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Tio Pedro" wrote in message

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Can't be a no loss one. Even if he gets all his money back, he's then
obligated to ship the radio back to the seller at HIS expense. There are
no winners in this situation, only ways to cut your losses.

.... maybe yes, maybe no ... they might not want a damaged unit
back, I wouldn't ... If I where the seller, I would request
detailed photos of the unit and the shipping box (only to verify
no scam was being attempted) and then refund all of his
monies, including shipping along with an apology and chalk
it up to a shipping lesson ....

Under the laws of many states, I am damaged by the amount of
the value of the radio, which may be entirely unrelated to the
selling cost. There have been court cases were sellers reneged
on a deal, and had to pay damages that exceeded the agreed
upon price.

.... that is not correct. You are not damaged, you have received
damaged goods and are out of pocket the amount you paid.
You would have to prove that somehow the damaged goods
caused damage (financial or monetary loss) to you and that
seems unlikely.

.... you are entitled to be made whole .. it is clear from the
flimsy packing, the carrier would not pay for the damage
caused by the negligence of the shipper .. I suggest you
request the price you paid for it be refunded and possibly
a good part of the shipping cost if there where handling &
packing fees added ... you will keep the unit (still has value)
spare the seller a negative if he meets your request ...
I don't think you are entitled to a full refund (inc. shipping)
because that would leave you ahead or enriched ...
granted the damaged unit is not what you wanted,
but it still has value ...

BTW: for standard insurance practices, the value of the item
IS related to the selling cost as the value was determined
when you paid for it ... when dealing with a shipping company,
they look at what you paid for the item, not what you
think it might be worth ...

Happy Father's Day Bert Craig Policy 0 June 17th 07 08:26 PM
Happy Father's Day K4YZ Policy 1 June 20th 05 10:38 PM
Happy Father's Day Bert Craig Policy 2 June 21st 04 04:55 AM
Ruined a pair of pants Herbert Khaury Equipment 4 July 9th 03 04:31 PM