Old January 20th 09, 12:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default My first recone attempt

I got Sooooooooooooooo lucky.. this is from a Philco 38-34 or some such..
the old cone was completely gone, but the spider and voice coil were intact.
As I didn't want to try to remove the spider or voice coil (they were well
centered and still attached to one another), I instead cut two slits in the
cone and slid it over the spider, then centered the cone and glued the
spider to it. Once that had set, I trimmed the surround to fit and glued
that to the frame. It turned out pretty good, and sounds pretty good, too.
I will have to add some short spacers to the mounting bolts, to keep the
foam surround from touching the cabinet, as it sticks out about 1/8" beyond
the frame. No big deal, though, and now I have the speaker to match the
chassis.

--
Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!

Old January 20th 09, 01:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Ken Ken is offline

Brenda Ann wrote:
I got Sooooooooooooooo lucky.. this is from a Philco 38-34 or some such..
the old cone was completely gone, but the spider and voice coil were intact.
As I didn't want to try to remove the spider or voice coil (they were well
centered and still attached to one another), I instead cut two slits in the
cone and slid it over the spider, then centered the cone and glued the
spider to it. Once that had set, I trimmed the surround to fit and glued
that to the frame. It turned out pretty good, and sounds pretty good, too.
I will have to add some short spacers to the mounting bolts, to keep the
foam surround from touching the cabinet, as it sticks out about 1/8" beyond
the frame. No big deal, though, and now I have the speaker to match the
chassis.

If it's perfect it's good enough. Ken
Old January 20th 09, 01:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Ken Ken is offline

Brenda Ann wrote:
I got Sooooooooooooooo lucky.. this is from a Philco 38-34 or some such..
the old cone was completely gone, but the spider and voice coil were intact.
As I didn't want to try to remove the spider or voice coil (they were well
centered and still attached to one another), I instead cut two slits in the
cone and slid it over the spider, then centered the cone and glued the
spider to it. Once that had set, I trimmed the surround to fit and glued
that to the frame. It turned out pretty good, and sounds pretty good, too.
I will have to add some short spacers to the mounting bolts, to keep the
foam surround from touching the cabinet, as it sticks out about 1/8" beyond
the frame. No big deal, though, and now I have the speaker to match the
chassis.

Where did you get the cone? Ken
Old January 20th 09, 08:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

http://www.electronix.com:80/catalog...keywords=11-75

Old January 21st 09, 05:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Wow! That really looks nice Brenda Ann

Old January 21st 09, 07:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"_J D_" wrote in message
Wow! That really looks nice Brenda Ann

The cones are excellent quality to begin with, the rest was pure dumb luck.
Amazingly enough, it even works.

Old January 21st 09, 05:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Ken Ken is offline

Brenda Ann wrote:
"_J D_" wrote in message
Wow! That really looks nice Brenda Ann

The cones are excellent quality to begin with, the rest was pure dumb luck.
Amazingly enough, it even works.

What kind of glue did you use? Ken
Old January 21st 09, 08:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:
"_J D_" wrote in message
Wow! That really looks nice Brenda Ann

The cones are excellent quality to begin with, the rest was pure dumb
luck. Amazingly enough, it even works.

What kind of glue did you use? Ken

Just contact cement.

Old February 2nd 09, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Just contact cement.

This work well but is very hard to remove or redo. The OEM cement was a
clear nitrocellulose cement much like Duco cement, which is still made and
what I use. You can dissolve it easily with lacquer thinner.

You'll want to stiffen up that foam edge that was designed for sealed
cabinets, I'd add diluted PVA glue until it stops hitting the baffle on high
volume.

It does look super.

John H.

First Attempt Basil Burgess Antenna 23 March 26th 06 02:38 PM
Hams attempt to destroy GMRS! K4YZ Policy 4 November 29th 05 06:38 PM
Hams attempt to destroy GMRS! Dave Policy 9 November 24th 05 04:14 PM
World record attempt Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 January 7th 05 07:12 AM
Broadcasting World Record attempt Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 December 3rd 04 10:35 PM