Old September 11th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default Could you support making the No-code license one year non-renewable?

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Dee Flint wrote:

That last statement is a fallacy. The digital modes are wiped out by
conditions that will still permit CW to be used. Even SSB can sometimes
be used when conditions wipe out the digital. I have repeatedly said and
now I

snip
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Wrong. There are digital modes that handle every distortion type that
exists. You just have to pick the correct one.

tom
K0TAR

Name them. I've not found any one mode that can handle all conditions of
distortion. However, I have found from time to time that distortion can be
severe enough at times to wipe out all digital modes even if you try to
switch from mode to mode. Occasionally it can wipe out CW.

I repeat: EVERY MODE HAS ITS ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. To deny that is
foolish.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 11th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Tom Ring wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

That last statement is a fallacy. The digital modes are wiped out by
conditions that will still permit CW to be used. Even SSB can
sometimes be used when conditions wipe out the digital. I have
repeatedly said and now I

snip

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Wrong. There are digital modes that handle every distortion type that
exists. You just have to pick the correct one.

tom
K0TAR

And one of the simplest ones that works pretty much every time CW does
is Hellschreiber.

tom
K0TAR
Old September 11th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:
The digital modes are wiped out by conditions that will still permit CW
to be used.

CW is wiped out by conditions that will still permit
PACTOR II to be used, e.g. I cannot hear any signals
at all on an apparently dead band and a friend in
Germany pops up on the screen.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Everyone keeps ignoring that I maintain that: EVERY MODE HAS ITS ADVANTAGES
AND DISADVANTAGES. I keep repeating this but no one cares to acknowledge
such a plain and simple fact. Why is that? Are you all so set on bashing
what you don't like? Are you all so set on trying to prove that your
favorite mode, whatever it may be, is the best?

Unless Pactor II has recently been put into the public domain, it requires
buying proprietary hardware to run it instead of using a simple inexpensive
sound card interface with commonly available software. Most hams are not
thrilled with the idea of proprietary hardware and data modes.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 11th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Ring wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

That last statement is a fallacy. The digital modes are wiped out by
conditions that will still permit CW to be used. Even SSB can sometimes
be used when conditions wipe out the digital. I have repeatedly said
and now I

snip

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Wrong. There are digital modes that handle every distortion type that
exists. You just have to pick the correct one.

tom
K0TAR

And one of the simplest ones that works pretty much every time CW does is
Hellschreiber.

tom
K0TAR

"Pretty much" is not the same as "always". You are hedging your statement.
Either it does or it doesn't.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 11th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Dee Flint wrote:
I repeat: EVERY MODE HAS ITS ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. To deny that is
foolish.

Every brand of vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages
but I don't see the government forcing anyone to buy a
Chevrolet. What is wrong with a free market of modes?
Nobody is forcing anyone not to use CW.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old September 11th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Dee Flint wrote:

Name them. I've not found any one mode that can handle all conditions of
distortion. However, I have found from time to time that distortion can be
severe enough at times to wipe out all digital modes even if you try to
switch from mode to mode. Occasionally it can wipe out CW.

I repeat: EVERY MODE HAS ITS ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. To deny that is
foolish.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I didn't mean to imply that there is a single mode that will handle all
types of distortion, just that there are specific modes available that
handle each type. And somethimes absolutely no digital mode or CW can
get through, but that circumstance happens less often as time goes on,
the exception being CW's cacpbilities aren't changing.

Your shouted statement is correct.

tom
K0TAR
Old September 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
I support licensing for life.

Do you have something against dead people?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

You have a ghoul friend, Cecil? :-)

Old September 12th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Dee Flint wrote:
I repeat: EVERY MODE HAS ITS ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. To deny that
is foolish.

Every brand of vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages
but I don't see the government forcing anyone to buy a
Chevrolet. What is wrong with a free market of modes?
Nobody is forcing anyone not to use CW.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

That analogy doesn't work at all.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 12th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Dee Flint wrote:

I repeat: EVERY MODE HAS ITS ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. To deny that
is foolish.

Every brand of vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages
but I don't see the government forcing anyone to buy a
Chevrolet. What is wrong with a free market of modes?
Nobody is forcing anyone not to use CW.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

That analogy doesn't work at all.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Why not? Picking what you want to use isn't okay? You don't want
alternatives to CW. Or alternatives to digital? Or , for that matter,
alternatives to voice modes.

So for you choice is bad?

tom
K0TAR
Old September 12th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Dee Flint wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Every brand of vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages
but I don't see the government forcing anyone to buy a
Chevrolet. What is wrong with a free market of modes?
Nobody is forcing anyone not to use CW.

That analogy doesn't work at all.

I should have said "4WD" instead of "Chevrolet".
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com