Old December 4th 06, 11:33 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner.uk,rec.radio.scanner,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.aviation

Default faulty Signal R532 - any help/repairs?

Dear All,

I have a Signal R532 (A classic!) scanner and it has gone faulty. It powers
up ok and the display and all buttons work fine, it just seems not to tune.
I can change the frequency display with the buttons but this appears to have
no effect on the frequency of operation. I can hear some stations but the
level is very quiet.

It could be out of alignment? I have had the covers off and it looks like
some of the tuning slugs on the coils have been twiddled (not by me!)

I bought it off EBay and was Sold as Seen as I have wanted to add one of
these to my collection.

If anyone can fix it for me there is money waiting!!

I phoned Castle Electronics but they said they were unable to repair these
as parts no longer available and they don't have the schematics

Thanks for any help/suggestions/offers

Jim G7NKS

p.s. I know as a "real ham" I should do it myself blah blah
blah............M3 rant blah........black box....RSCB blah.........dumbing
down....

Old December 4th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner.uk,rec.radio.scanner,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.aviation

u...

"bob.martin" wrote in message
Dear All,

I have a Signal R532 (A classic!) scanner and it has gone faulty. It

powers
up ok and the display and all buttons work fine, it just seems not to

tune.

SNIP

Thanks for this useful info! I put it down to an antipodean sense of humour
fuelled by our rather dismal performance in the cricket.

Jim G7NKS

Old December 4th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner.uk,rec.radio.scanner,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.aviation

"bob.martin" wrote in message
[...]

You might try Lowe Electronics they were the original importers and
still claim to support them: http://www.lowe.co.uk/retail_secondhand.htm
They might have the servicing info, I got the R535 service manual from
there. They also seem to have a steady turnaround of second hand R532
and R535.

Another site with the operating manuals: http://www.airband-radio.co.uk/

HTH
--
Nick B.
Old December 4th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner.uk,rec.radio.scanner,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.aviation

"bob.martin" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed it does help! many thanks. I'll put the spark plug wrench away
now!!

I have already tagged thec website that does the manuals thanx

Best regards

Jim G7NKS

Old December 5th 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner.uk,rec.radio.scanner,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.aviation

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:33:58 GMT, "bob.martin" spake
thusly:

p.s. I know as a "real ham" I should do it myself blah blah
blah............M3 rant blah........black box....RSCB blah.........dumbing
down....

It IS getting rather old, isn't it.

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.