Old February 7th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default unblocked ICOM IC-R3

I bought one of these from Bandercom in 2002 and played with it for a couple
of days, then put it in a drawer where it's been sitting for years unused.
I sell items on eBay once in a while but this is a prohibited item. Anyone
know where I could find a buyer? It seems like a waste for it to go unused.

Old February 7th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Icom IC-R3" wrote in
:

I bought one of these from Bandercom in 2002 and played with it for a
couple of days, then put it in a drawer where it's been sitting for
years unused. I sell items on eBay once in a while but this is a
prohibited item. Anyone know where I could find a buyer? It seems like
a waste for it to go unused.

You can sell them on ebay, I did a couple months ago [went for over $350 plus
shipping].
Just do not trumpet the fact that it is "cellular capable" "unblocked" "full
coverage" "no gaps" ect, especially in the title.
In the description I said it was purchased in Canada and thus was not
frequency hobbled, I left it for people to draw their own conclusions. Listed
the frequency coverage as 0.495-2450 MHz with no qualifying buzz word like
"uniterupted" or some such.
Some who did not get the hint emailed asking about coverage and I told them
yes indeed, it had full coverage - I even published one of these questions on
the auction page on the last day.
I see at least one up right now, the only give away is "Government/Export
version: 0.495-2450.095 MHz", and ebay generally does not look for stuff like
that unless someone rats them out.
Still, your auction could get **** canned I guess, all I am saying is that it
likely won't if you can refrain from buzz words and outright give aways.
Also, I would not advise advertising your auction here, except maybe in the
last 2 hours.
Its happened more than once here that within hours of these unblocked
scanners being advertised here for ebay auctions, they get pulled off.

If the worse should happen and the auction gets yanked, you get a refund on
auction charges and a warning to not do it again or else, so theres not a
whole lot of risk as far as risking your account or something.

Craigslist is an option also [thats where I got mine, got it for $200 and
sold it for over $350].

Old February 10th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Your name" wrote in message
"Icom IC-R3" wrote in
:

[...]

---------
A few years back I read about another approach which was to photograph it
while tuned to a cellular frequency. Knowledgeable buyers will get it right
away without having to use tricky language. It's easier to search for
keywords in the listings than to process the images for anyone trying to
screen these units out. Of course, that also makes it a little harder for
potential buyers to find it with a standard search.

I don't know if that will fly on eBay, but maybe worth a try.

- Doug

Old February 11th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"DougSlug" wrote in
:

"Your name" wrote in message
"Icom IC-R3" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, I did that in my listing also, among the half dozen pics were a couple
with cell freqs tuned in.
No matter what you do though, there will always be the clueless, curious or
doubters who will enquire if the scanner has any gaps ... As if the cell
band really matters these days - But no doubt a no block scanner will fetch
a better price.
I suppose it might some time in the future if they reallocate these freqs
for other use.
From what I have seen, most people get away with it no prob unless they are
too bold on their title or someone rats them out ... You have much better
odds of having a listing of a Nazi war relic pulled than a full coverage
scanner.
I listed a Nazi war time magazine, I thought historical paper items were
allowed, but it got canned within an hour, and I was told no listings of
propaganda would be tolerated.

Old February 23rd 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On 7 feb, 00:53, "Icom IC-R3" wrote:
I bought one of these from Bandercom in 2002 and played with it for a couple
of days, then put it in a drawer where it's been sitting for years unused.
I sell items on eBay once in a while but this is a prohibited item. Anyone
know where I could find a buyer? It seems like a waste for it to go unused.

how much for it my friend

Old April 10th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Feb 11, 5:52 pm, Your name wrote:
"DougSlug" wrote :

"Your name" wrote in message
. ..
"Icom IC-R3" wrote in
:

[...]

From what I have seen, most people get away with it no prob unless they are
too bold on their title or someone rats them out ... You have much better
odds of having a listing of a Nazi war relic pulled than a full coverage
scanner.
I listed a Nazi war time magazine, I thought historical paper items were
allowed, but it got canned within an hour, and I was told no listings of
propaganda would be tolerated.- Hide quoted text -

curious. Since Ebay allows legal scanners to be sold...

If you have a cell capable scanner bought in the U.S. before the law
outlawing manufacture of such scanners went into effect (which is
perfectly leggal to sell in the U.S.) and Ebay pulled your item
because you said "unblocked" or "cell capable", ........

then what ?

Old April 11th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"------------" wrote in
oups.com:

On Feb 11, 5:52 pm, Your name wrote:
"DougSlug" wrote
:

"Your name" wrote in message
. ..
"Icom IC-R3" wrote in
:

[...]

From what I have seen, most people get away with it no prob unless they
are too bold on their title or someone rats them out ... You have much
better odds of having a listing of a Nazi war relic pulled than a full
coverage scanner.
I listed a Nazi war time magazine, I thought historical paper items
were allowed, but it got canned within an hour, and I was told no
listings of propaganda would be tolerated.- Hide quoted text -

curious. Since Ebay allows legal scanners to be sold...

If you have a cell capable scanner bought in the U.S. before the law
outlawing manufacture of such scanners went into effect (which is
perfectly leggal to sell in the U.S.) and Ebay pulled your item
because you said "unblocked" or "cell capable", ........

then what ?

While it is perfectly legal to own, use or privately sell a pre-ban scanner
in the U.S., there is not much to be done if ebay, a private venue [of
which you have to agree to TOS to use] decides that they do not want people
residing in the USA to sell unblocked scanners to other people living in
the USA.
I think that is the case. Ebay decided that, rather than going on a case by
case basis, to just issue a general blanket ban.

Old April 11th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

I see un-blocked scanners on e-bay ALL the time

see how they word their ads and adjust as needed

"Your name" wrote in message
"------------" wrote in
oups.com:

On Feb 11, 5:52 pm, Your name wrote:
"DougSlug" wrote
:

"Your name" wrote in message
. ..
"Icom IC-R3" wrote in
:

[...]

From what I have seen, most people get away with it no prob unless they

Old April 15th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"labtech_one" wrote in news:75253$461d5c12$438c6e36
:

I see un-blocked scanners on e-bay ALL the time

see how they word their ads and adjust as needed

Yes, you see them.
Alot get **** canned too, and alot are based in Canada/Asia, who are not
under the ridiculous restrictions of U.S. sellers.

"Your name" wrote in message
"------------" wrote in
oups.com:

On Feb 11, 5:52 pm, Your name wrote:

[...]