Old June 12th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default BCD396T Piece of junk or am I missing something?

wrote in news:1181578745.407049.267610
@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

Bought a bcd396t last weekend and was really excited about scanning.
Never owned one or new anything about it. I turned it on and cleared
all memory first, since my area didn't seem to be pre-programmed. I
live in Bay Point CA, 94565. Sat outside my house to see what was
going on on a Saturday night. I did an automatic search for police
activity and had one or two frequencies that gave me some messages
every once in a while. Was hard to understand too by the way

Is this all there is to it, or should it be more exciting? I expected
more action on a Saturday night, especially in my area, but all I got
was a message every once in a while. Or should I not use the automatic
search, because it doesn't work properly?

Is the automatic search able to find all different frequencies, like
trunking, conventional, etc...?

I guess I'm confused because it didn't give me the action I was hoping
for.

I returned the unit on sunday...very disappointed, but maybe someone
could tell me I'm wrong and I need to do certain things to get this
unit to work.

thanks

Well duh for you.
You are supposed to figure out how to operate a high tech unit before taking
it back.
If you are the type that can't even program a VCR timer then yeah, I'd say
you made the right move.

Old June 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Jun 12, 1:51 pm, Jesse wrote:
[...]

you made the right move.- Hide quoted text -

As a matter of fact, I do know how to program. I program in more than
10 languages, I speak 4 languages, I have AS, BS, MS degrees in
computer science and AI, and I don't consider myself a novice when it
comes to technology. In addition, I also program everything that comes
with a good manual. How would I know the unit I bought operates as it
should if the manual cannot describe a basic test to perform to see
the unit is working properly. I expected to hear some basic
frequencies when I did a search, but I could not hear anything. That's
my problem. The documentation assumes one knows all the tweaks of the
unit. I just didn't want to get in knee-deep before I know the basics
are working. I think I do understand the basics, but somehow cannot
make it work.

So here's what I did:
1) First I scanned the preprogrammed frequencies, but scanner didn't
stop at any frequency.
2) Then I played with the squelch (didn't know what it was for,
neither wasn't explained anywhere, neither wasn't pointed out what
level to sit it to), so I put is in the middle
3) then did scan again, didn't matter. No conversations anywhere.
4) Then I reset the scanner.
5) then I did a search for frequencies. Found 1 or 2 frequencys, one
was probably a PD, which only tracked a dispatch every few minutes, no
real conversations going on. The other one I found during a search was
a boater or so.
6) I live in the middle of the action, but wasn't able to find
anything
7) I drove around, tried close calls, etc...nothing ...
8) I did try the FM radio, that seemed to work
9) I assumed either the unit was not working properly or the whole
scanning thing must be really boring since I only here a dispatcher
once every 5 minutes talking for 2 seconds,
10) I also entered some of my area's frequencies found on
radioreference.com, but they were dead as well.

So, obviously I am missing something

Maybe the squelch wasn't set correctly. Still don't know what it does
exactly. I read most people set it to either 1 or 2. If there's 15
settings for it, why would most people set it to either 1 or 2?
shouldn't be somehwere average around 7, so one can go both ways?

Thanks

Old June 12th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Maybe the squelch wasn't set correctly. Still don't know what it does
exactly. I read most people set it to either 1 or 2. If there's 15
settings for it, why would most people set it to either 1 or 2?
shouldn't be somehwere average around 7, so one can go both ways?

Thanks

I turn the squelch down on mine to where I hear static. Then turn it up
slightly where you don't hear the static. At this setting you should hear
any sounds above the static level. If you don't want to hear weak signals
from far away turn the squelch up more and you will only pick up the
stronger signals.

I have the Pro-96 handeld from Radio Shack and I am thoroughly happy with
it. The base station is the Pro-2096. If you get one of these I recommend
getting Don Starr's Win96 software to program these guys:
http://www.starrsoft.com/ . This, with a programming cable from RS helps
programming the radio a breeze.

You should start seeing the Pro-96 going on sale because there is an updated
radio coming out soon to replace it. I suspect that radios will be selling
for around $350-$400 to get rid of stock.

Dave

Old June 13th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

I did indeed look at the software beforehand and it looks nice. I just
wanted to make sure I could do some basics things, just to enjoy the
evening, without spending hours gettings the software connection to
work on the computer. I would definitely not get frustrated from being
too overwhelmed. I just got frustrated because the basic simple
thing didn't work.

And yes, I did pay $580 for a used one. I know now I got ripped off
big time! I didn't think the firmware would solve my problem. It
rarely ever does, normally only fixes some rarely used features or
improves a little here or there. But it would have been worth a try.

So, right now I'm thinking about getting a new one instead of used and
probably pay much less and maybe get a bundle with the software you
guys mentioned.

Thanks so much, I'm really hopefull this time.

Michel

Old June 23rd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

wrote in message
ups.com...

So, right now I'm thinking about getting a new one instead of used and
probably pay much less and maybe get a bundle with the software you
guys mentioned.

Given where you live for listening to public safety you don't need a digital
scanner or even a trunking radio (although I would recommend you get a radio
capable of trunking in case you want to listen to a trunked system in the
future). I second the suggestion that you visit Scanners Unlimited in San
Carlos and talk to a knowledgeable salesperson about the equipment that
would work well for you. For fixed station use consider the Uniden BCT-8 or
BCT-15, plus a good quality discone antenna. Hopefully Scanners Unlimited
has a better antenna selection than they show on their web site. If not, go
elsewhere. Don't spend more than about $250 for the radio and another $50
or so for the antenna and 50' feedline.

http://www.grove-ent.com/unidenscanners.html
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT5.html

buying BCD396T in NYC? [email protected] Scanner 2 March 6th 07 04:33 AM
FT: Uniden BCD396T For SW Reciever DeWayne Scanner 1 February 1st 06 10:59 PM
FS..uniden bcd396t spectro Scanner 0 October 26th 05 05:31 AM
Beware BCD396t AL Scanner 6 September 14th 05 11:52 PM
BCD396T Buzzygirl Scanner 17 July 17th 05 03:51 AM